Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #166

So all that Georgia wanted is the actual real name of the manufacturer on the bikes paper work….that was easy enough to resolve.

The people in Atlanta gave up…trying to explain and the lady at the local office felt enough already…gave you a title apposed to totally screwing you…fortunately.

So what are you going to do to that bike….any plan for the raibowing exhaust? I think you could paint it but the thing is very restrictive. I wonder if you can get Jessie to send you one over that is used on the 150 version of the bike, the one in the owners manual. That model has the flat black exhaust with the chrome shield you said you like.

I would say you deserve something for offering her such solid insight into federal regulations in the USA.
Does she know your posting online and the thread is approaching 5000 views?

I would be actually afraid to attempt to remove the manifold bolts…but the exhaust discoloration is too much…send them photos of it and what you want…that being the black exhaust system that is in the owners manual.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
….any plan for the raibowing exhaust? I think you could paint it but the thing is very restrictive. I wonder if you can get Jessie to send you one over that is used on the 150 version of the bike, the one in the owners manual. That model has the flat black exhaust with the chrome shield you said you like.

...I would be actually afraid to attempt to remove the manifold bolts…but the exhaust discoloration is too much…send them photos of it and what you want…that being the black exhaust system that is in the owners manual.
The exhaust header is discolored because the engine is running too lean, and too hot. The blue color can be removed with a variety of chemicals, but the discoloration will return until the carburetor is jetted properly.

The muffler is discolored because the hot exhaust gasses are hitting a restriction. If one cut off the stock muffler, I'm sure he could replace it with an FMF Universal Spark Arrestor. The FMF silencer would almost certainly increase engine power.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #168

Yeah that would be the easiest route to go, the FMF is the cheap and easy way to go.

Here is what they could have put on the bike, I think it looks better on that bike.

apposed to this,

I kind of like the front mud guard to.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:23 PM   #169

Indeed, the muffler on the red bike looks better. However, I'm sure the black muffler is also very restrictive, and reduces engine power. The red bike in the photos is obviously more street oriented, with it's cast wheels, and front mud flap. The mud flap would definitely help to keep one's feet and legs dry in the rain. However, the flap would quickly clog with mud, locking the front wheel, and dumping the rider, in muddy terrain. 8O

I much prefer the stainless steel, exhaust header currently mounted on Jax's bike. The stainless steel is much more resistant to rust, and is much more easily cleaned when muddy. The FMF Universal Spark Arrestor comes with a stainless steel midpipe that would match well with the current exhaust header on the bike. The FMF silencer is inexpensive, and it would be easy to mount. In addition, Jax would notice a definite power boost after install the unrestricted, FMF silencer.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #170

That's great news! Now go riding!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #171

So we did ride Friday and Saturday morning. My wife rode Vino and I rode the Yingang. We had a great time.

I just hit 500 Km, so I am going to go over everything and change the oil.

Here are the couple of issues noted:
• The Speedo is still acting funky, I took the gear out at the hub, and while it looked fine, I don't think is is properly meshed with the hub. Couldn't really see the gear in the hub, think I'll have to remove the wheel to do that. Couldn't find anything on "proper" procedures for this.

• Tacho is still Wacko. Massimo is working on a replacement.

• High vibes at upper RPMs. Going to check engine mounts, as explained elsewhere on Chinariders. May get some better grips and put a higher gear sprocket on (seems too low for the type riding I do [mostly commuting]).

•Did occasionally feel a slight "tugging" at the rear wheel, like the rear brake might be dragging. Also noticed at high speeds the rear brake pedal lifts up slightly (like something is grabbing back there). Any ideas?

• The blue exhaust, will probably go with the FMF later and re-jet.

All-in-all, bike riders and drives really good. The seating position is good for me. Has great on-raod manners, haven't been off road, yet. Going to leave Massimo some feedback on Ebay today. They were really helpful, but with a little more effort, a lot of the issues with the MSO could have been avoided. Looking forward to a lot of fun on this bike!

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll keep posting any updates and mods!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #172

When will we see a thread started on the vino? I sent you a pm about it.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
When will we see a thread started on the vino? I sent you a pm about it.
I got it. PM back.

Don't know that I'll start a thread on it, not much to do other than put gas in and twist the throttle.

Vino is more fun than it should be, who'd a thunk it?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #174

Scooters are underappreciated.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxtell
So we did ride Friday and Saturday morning. My wife rode Vino and I rode the Yingang. We had a great time.

I just hit 500 Km, so I am going to go over everything and change the oil.

Here are the couple of issues noted:
• The Speedo is still acting funky, I took the gear out at the hub, and while it looked fine, I don't think is is properly meshed with the hub. Couldn't really see the gear in the hub, think I'll have to remove the wheel to do that. Couldn't find anything on "proper" procedures for this.

• Tacho is still Wacko. Massimo is working on a replacement.

• High vibes at upper RPMs. Going to check engine mounts, as explained elsewhere on Chinariders. May get some better grips and put a higher gear sprocket on (seems too low for the type riding I do [mostly commuting]).

•Did occasionally feel a slight "tugging" at the rear wheel, like the rear brake might be dragging. Also noticed at high speeds the rear brake pedal lifts up slightly (like something is grabbing back there). Any ideas?

• The blue exhaust, will probably go with the FMF later and re-jet.

All-in-all, bike riders and drives really good. The seating position is good for me. Has great on-raod manners, haven't been off road, yet. Going to leave Massimo some feedback on Ebay today. They were really helpful, but with a little more effort, a lot of the issues with the MSO could have been avoided. Looking forward to a lot of fun on this bike!

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll keep posting any updates and mods!

Most definitely are these things geared to short. Every CB I've had was geared to climb a telephone pole.

You should try completely removing the speedo cable and sheath from the bike and from each other, spray some brake kleen down the sheath and also, clean the cable with it, then hit both with some Tri Flo before reassembly, if you haven't already. Fixed my Q right up.

I had the same 'tugging' on my Q at open-road cruise speed. I checked the rear brake and loosened it up. No difference. As expected, it was jetted way to lean. I jumped the pilot 1 step and jumped the main 2 steps and problem solved. I'd say this is same problem is definitely causing your blueing. Also, move the needle clip to the lowest spot if you haven't already.
Rich is annoying. Lean is dangerous.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #176

Its the secondary air intake that causes the bluing, that and the catalytic element in the exhaust that is heating up. I would think without removing that and adding more fuel to the mix would increase the bluing.

Its also is not a stainless steal exhaust its only plated with chrome, if it actually had chromium in the metal it would then be stainless steel. As it is it only plated with stainless, it would eventually rust from the inside outward.

I would say if you do one then you should do all of it, take off the emission and in that the exhaust get replaced, then adjust the carburetor. If you do not it likely would increase the blue, I would think the additional fuel will increase the heat as it gets burned off in the exhaust by the SAI and also conducted by the catalyst in the muffler.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oengus
Its the secondary air intake that causes the bluing, that and the catalytic element in the exhaust that is heating up. I would think without removing that and adding more fuel to the mix would increase the bluing.

Its also is not a stainless steal exhaust its only plated with chrome, if it actually had chromium in the metal it would then be stainless steel. As it is it only plated with stainless, it would eventually rust from the inside outward.

I would say if you do one then you should do all of it, take off the emission and in that the exhaust get replaced, then adjust the carburetor. If you do not it likely would increase the blue, I would think the additional fuel will increase the heat as it gets burned off in the exhaust by the SAI and also conducted by the catalyst in the muffler.
I can't remember where, but I saw a great write-up on opening the exhaust and re-packing. I'm not exactly sure where it was, but they cut out the opening, removed the baffle, took out the converter, then put everything back in and welded an new "end" on it.

Anyone have a book mark on this procedure?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #178

I sent Jessie and email, asked if the bike could be ordered with a black muffler and she said yes and sent me a contact at Massimo.

I asked the contact but have not heard back yet.

To me the black muffler is easiest, apposed to having to remove the emissions and replacing the muffler, then carburetor adjusting only gets about 1hp if that, I am sure its noticeable but just leaving it stock and not having to see the stains would be resolved if it came with a black exhaust.

I think Jessie is supper at customer service, but wonder if she has it right? I wonder if they do have the bike in the US with a black exhaust system? I may or may not get one, I also would not be surprised if I did get one and it came with the chrome exhaust even if I was told it had a black exhaust.

I would not get that bike for off road, it would be ok on a dirt road but to me it is more of a street commuter that just looks different, I like the looks of it.

It also has a totally replaceable engine and list of standard parts that are really pretty easy to get, and the price of $1,500.00 is very good considering.

But you know what, I do not have to have one, if I am told I can get it with the black exhaust I just may…if not I am not interested in the alternatives, I personally do not remove emissions.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #179

Quote:
I can't remember where, but I saw a great write-up on opening the exhaust and re-packing. I'm not exactly sure where it was, but they cut out the opening, removed the baffle, took out the converter, then put everything back in and welded an new "end" on it.

I don't think this is what you're looking for, but perhaps it will provide some info for you: Scooter Muffler Surgery

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-16-2011, 10:42 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:

I don't think this is what you're looking for, but perhaps it will provide some info for you: Scooter Muffler Surgery

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Very similar, only the one I remember had a cone shaped muffler like mine and they welded a new end cap with a slightly larger opening.

Great work on yours though, after the paint no one would ever know!