Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #1

Looking into a Trail Tec gps/speedo combo. Has anyone installed one on a Q yet? If so, which bike should I choose when placing the order. I was looking at the Trail Tec Vapor I believe.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volitan
Looking into a Trail Tec gps/speedo combo. Has anyone installed one on a Q yet? If so, which bike should I choose when placing the order. I was looking at the Trail Tec Vapor I believe.
Since many other QLink owners will be interested in this topic, I didn't want the subject to be buried in another thread. Therefore, I started this new thread for you, Volitan. A while back, forum member JTCAndrew was contemplating installing a Trail Tech Vapor on his QLink bike, but he decided not to do so. His thread is located at the following link.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ght=trail+tech

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #3

Ok thanks, I was just keeping all my questions to a single thread to not clog up the board, and thought to myself "I didnt think I started a whole new thread just for that one question" lol.

I might contact them directly and see if they know of the correct one to order, but do they differ that much from bike to bike? I would think since they are corded (I believe) they would all pretty much be standard? Or maybe its the mounting hardware thats different for each one. Monday I'll call them and see what they say.

edit: after reading that thread it seems I have alot of research to do as far as fitment goes. All the cheap bicycle speedo's I got didnt work with the inverted fork design and I couldnt get a good mounting point, but it seems they make magnetic head bolts for the trail tec that would work.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #4

You are correct, Volitan. The Trail Tech Vapor computers are all the same, but the kits have different mounting hardware. You want to select the correct magnet mount, and the correct senor mount for you bike. You also want a CHT (cylinder head temperature) sensor instead of a coolant sensor.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #5

As a point of trivia, you can certainly make a digital bicycle speedometer read via the rear wheel. That's how I connected one to my atv.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #6

My $10 Wally World wired bicycle speedometer works quite well.

I glued a stronger magnet off a cheap wrench to the brake rotor rather than using the one which came with the speedometer which I somehow lost as soon as I opened the package.

As an aside, do any of you have worm holes in your shops that cause tools and parts to vanish from our time/space continuim?

I may pick another another speedometer for my ATV now that Weld mentions it. The wire wont be long enough b ut I can work around that.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
As an aside, do any of you have worm holes in your shops that cause tools and parts to vanish from our time/space continuim?
I do, but two of them are almost two years old, one just turned four, and the other one is almost six. Whenever they are "helping" daddy, things randomly disappear for a few days, then mysteriously reappear when I'm no longer looking for it.

I like the TT, but it is a bit expensive. Are the cheap bike ones able to be calibrated?

Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #8

Are the cheap bike ones able to be calibrated?

You bet. I endorse the $9-10 one from Walmart, I forget the brand but it's in my thread on the subject.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #9

Yeah I tried 2 of the cheap ones from wallyworld, tried mounting on front first and somehow broke the first one, then i had a good mounting spot for the 2nd and dropped it and broke that one. Not having much luck. Might try a third one for giggles once I get moved.

Alot of features on the trail tec's that would be pretty cool to have, thats why im considering them.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #10

I agree that some of the features would be nice, but I don't want shiny bits that some crack head is going to grab. It wouldn't wreck my day if someone stole my $10 speedometer.

Doc, I just figure that my stuff falls off of the planet. I have no other explanation.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #11

I agree that some of the features would be nice, but I don't want shiny bits that some crack head is going to grab. It wouldn't wreck my day if someone stole my $10 speedometer.

It also disconnects from its mount and you can put it in your pocket if you like.

Doc, I just figure that my stuff falls off of the planet. I have no other explanation.

I could swear I have things happen that defy the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #12

Hi Guys - UPDATE - Never installed the trail tech - Would like too, but the cost just wasn't worth it. I did get a $10 Bike digital speedo, never did that either. Gave it to a friends son, who would get more use and enjoyment out of it - LOL I Do have a nice digital battery level, temp guage etc....unit that I want to put on. I'll definately do a post on this when I get to it this spring. Be safe and ride on.

Andrew
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #13

I should report that the wire to my $10 speedometer broke after 500 miles of hard off road use and was too fine to be repaired. I don't know what gauge it is but in medical terms it looks like 6-0 silk suture thread.

It was not up to all the flexing of 10 inches or so of front end travel. It's made for a bike, and they have at most 3 inches.

If I buy and mount another one, which I may, I'll have to find a way to better support the wire.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #14

Doc, perhaps you could run it off of the rear wheel. That's how I did it on my ATV.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #15

The wires would be too short and they are so tiny they are hard to solder. I am considering one for the ATV though. Maybe I can find one with a longer or heavier wire.