Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #1

Front and rear shocks need help

Have (2) 2007 Viva's - looks like the X31- Both rear shocks have zero dampening. The front forks are just as bad - seem flat like the springs need replacing. Looking for a replacement unit for the rear - any suggestions? Also the best fix for the front forks aside from replacing them.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #2

Have you tried draining the oil from the forks and adding a higher volume? You could also try 15W or even 20W if you need more resistance. Some guys on here have experimented with PVC spacer in the forks to limit travel as well.

Aside from just replacing the rear shocks, you could try shimming them. I've done that with sections of steel tube that are similar in diameter to the coils.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #3

Just for the shock of it

Thanks for the suggestions - The front forks would benefit from better oil and the spacers - Has anyone tried springs from a similar jap bike?. The rear unit needs replacing - I was hoping to replace it with a unit from a yamaha or honda - just one with a proven track record. Both of mine wont hold a charge of air for more than a few seconds. Both bikes might have 3-4 total hours of use.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 AM   #4

If you're talking about the rear shock not holding air, there might be a cheap solution. A few members bought cheap reservoir shocks from Gio, and I think they all leaked. The fix was to dismantle the reservoir to expose the rubber bag, and then epoxy the cap on so it sealed to the rubber. I believe that it was a successful fix.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer