Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #16

I agree with Weld. I would employ the "iron fist in a velvet glove. " I would politely explain that I ordered a bike with conventional, dual sport wheels, because I wanted to ride off road. Therefore, please send me a dual sport bike, or you can send me just the dual sport wheels. If you don't have the dual sport wheels, you can refund me some money so I can buy suitable, dual sport wheels, myself.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #17

I just took the bike (foolishly perhaps) to the store which required riding on some dirt paths. I got a feel for the bike in its current state and it's definitely lacking in traction. Obviously I had to be very careful. I'm not against taking a little risk though and for my own education I needed to feel out the limitations of the bike.

This thing will be loads of fun when I get the right rubber on there.

Since yesterday was literally the first time I've ridden any type of motorcycle, I'm really enjoying it, and I have a lot of respect for the machine. There's not much room for error.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #18

I'm glad you're enjoying your new bike. Stay within your riding abilities, and you will be fine. I'm very glad you bought good riding gear. I strongly encourage you to take the MSF rider safety course. Learn the proper riding techniques and safety strategies now, at the beginning of your riding career. Then practice everything you learn in the MSF class until it becomes second nature. The skills you learn in the MSF class can very likely spare you from serious injury; riding on the street is much more dangerous than riding off road.

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx

P.S. Knobby tires give an enormous improvement in traction while riding off pavement; they also inspire confidence. Get the vendor to refund some of your money, and we will help you get an 18-inch, rear tire at least.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #19

Thanks Spud! Great advice as always. The timing of the MSF courses around didn't meet my schedule yet. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Just took a couple pics with the full plastics on, with minimal decals. Didn't put on the fork protectors or hand guards though. Chain's still a little tight as well.

[/img]

Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #20

Nice looking bike, I personally think you got a much better bike than the db-7. Now please check the chain tension WITH your full weight on the bike, wearing chains and sprockets isn't the worst you can do with too tight a chain, as stated above swingarms can be damaged as well as countershaft bearings--this is BAD. Be safe and keep your stick on the ice, we are all in it together

Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #21

Nice, thanks.

I totally agree. I tried to loosen the chain twice and couldn't figure it out. I loosen the axle nut, and when I turned the nuts on the end of the swing arm, I couldn't manage to do anything but make the chain tighter. Obviously I'm missing something, but I really need to have success with it tomorrow.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #22

Your bike looks great; I really like the red color.

Next time, after you loosen the axle, turn the adjusting screws the opposite direction to loosen the drive chain. Adjusting and lubricating the drive chain is much easier if you get a swingarm stand. I really like my T-Rex swingarm stand, reviewed in the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7632

You can also get an inexpensive, lower quality, swingarm stand from Harbor Freight, but wait until it's on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-65620.html

The swingarm stand also greatly facilitates removing the rear wheel for sprocket changes, tire changes, and other, rear wheel maintenance.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 AM   #23

Knobby tires help enormously with traction, even while riding gravel roads. As your off road riding skills increase, and you tackle more difficult terrain, knobby tires become even more essential.

You might be surprised with the terrain your Chinese motorcycle can traverse when equipped with some good, off road tires.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #24

Of course if you don't travel the mud or gravel much, or barely at all like me, the knobby tires will reduce your grip on pavement and the ride will suffer greatly. Tires can change the way a bike rides very dramatically. For me the Shinko 705 and Avon gripsters are great as I ride 99% on street but Spud uses ALL the knobby on his Zong. Until you decide exactly how you are going to ride choosing the right tires and wheels may be a chore.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cron
Nice, thanks.

I totally agree. I tried to loosen the chain twice and couldn't figure it out. I loosen the axle nut, and when I turned the nuts on the end of the swing arm, I couldn't manage to do anything but make the chain tighter. Obviously I'm missing something, but I really need to have success with it tomorrow.
In order to loosen the chain, the rear wheel must be moved forward. The chain adjuster nuts on the rear end of the swingarm should be fully loose and rear axle must be fully loose, I would try pulling the bike backwards while in first gear to bump the wheel forward in the swingarm...(with the bike not running of course). Rocking the bike backwards while in gear will help move the rear wheel forward in the slotted holes of the swingarm. You can also try and move the wheel forward by tapping the axle w/ a rubber mallet, or perhaps a hammer and a block of wood, I suggest doing this untill the chain is too loose, then using the adjusters to tighten the chain to the proper slack. Finally, w/ the bike fully loaded and rear compressed, the chain should still be a bit slack. Do this ASAP, most preferably before your next ride.

Also, the adjustment reference marks on the adjusters, both left and right should be equal. The rear wheel should be centered in the swingarm and aligned properly...this is best done by tightening left and right equal amounts to move the wheel for and aft in the slotted holes.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #26

Thanks for providing the detailed instructions, WCR. I have "snail" chain adjusters on my motocycles, and it has been decades since I used the bolt chain adjusters.

Whether one is using snail cams or bolts to adjust the drive chain, a swingarm stand still makes the process much easier.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #27

Mission accomplished. Moving the bike backwards in 1st gear the did trick.

Got some nice slack in there now, with me on the bike. That's one less thing I need to stress about. (no pun intended) 8)

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #28

Good for you, Cron. Let's see some more photos of your Yingang in its native habitat!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #29

That's a very modern dual-sport without a kick start. You can claim it's fuel-injected when people ask you about the bike on the trails

Old 07-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasi_BG
That's a very modern dual-sport without a kick start. You can claim it's fuel-injected when people ask you about the bike on the trails
There is a kick start, it is clearly in the picture. Or am I missing something?