Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #16

I actually didn't pay attention to the rating of the diodes; I just liberated them from some reject pc boards at work. The math is easy; just take the draw of your light (in watts) and divide by the voltage (12). The answer will be the amperage draw of the bulb. To put a finer point on it, a 10 watt bulb divided by 12 volts = 0.83 amps. The draw with LED bulbs will be very low.

I'm not sure what Spud used, but the answer will be in his excellent Zong sticky.

I would solder the diodes inline (not in parallel) in each indicator wire and the brake wire, just before your trailer connector. A little heat shrink tubing over the diodes is a good idea, and electrical tape over the whole deal is cheap insurance. Certainly, make sure everything works before you solder anything. I just twisted the wires together during testing until I was sure that I had the diodes in correctly. Remember, they're directional.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingshoen
BTW:
in case u missed the movie about the Aussie XB Ford series

lovin the beast

Thanks for the link! I heard about Bana's movie before it came out, but then I missed it. Have you seen it? Is it worth buying?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #18

Awesome car!! 8)
(cept the steering wheels on the wrong side...) :wink:

Old 12-11-2011, 04:41 AM   #19

weldandgrind, thanks for the extra info, that s probably what i need to know to fix this. it ll help with the LED indicators on the XL, too.

pictures will come next year, as i am about to embark on a long trip, work/holiday combination until early Feb.

meanwhile to all on this list a safe and merry christmas! especially to the excellent moderators and to those who post pictures.

the film by bana is a cut above the "blokes and cars" films, it is thoughtful and not aimed at an adolescent audience. they say a few good things about one s attitudes towards vehicles which strike me as true :-)
i saw it at the cinema and enjoyed it. but then, this is the same model as mine, it was a must. 8)

Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #20

Not sure if I helped yet. Please let us know how it works for you upon installing some diodes.

Cheers!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #21

well, it s been a while, 6 months or so, but good things take time. :oops:

and i tried a few things. the diodes didn t make a difference, i had two sizes of voltage regulating diodes and it didn t help. on the XL i installed a LED flasher and the indicators worked. battery needs to be good, otherwise they struggle even with a running engine.

on the ford, i put two manual switches in by which i could turn the rear side indicator lights off, which would give enough voltage for the trailer indicator lights. funny coz all driving lights on the car are really bright. but of course that was only an interim solution before i am spending a saturday tracing all the wiring for a bad earth somewhere.

meanwhile, i been to jay car and saw LED "globes" for use with indicators. they sit in a single wire socket and even though they were dear at 25 aussie dollars each, i gave it go. result: heureka!

all lights on car and trailer bright, including indicator lights on trailer. funny that the miniscule draw of the trailer should ve tipped the balance. if i find a possible culprit (wrong relay somewhere installed by po, bad earth, what else?) i ll post an update.

thanks for all your comments! i ve got a solution, it doesn t make total sense, but never mind :wink: