Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 PM   #31

Thanks 250. 4oz should do me ok. I'm lite.

I don't think I have the upside down forks. Can I still pour it in from the top with regular shocks? Bike on a box and front wheel supported. Springs won't come flying out will they?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM   #32

When you remove the spring caps be prepared for the to pop up. They will have some spring pressure on them.

Allen

Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #33

Thanks Man, Exactly what I wanted to know.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #34

If you keep some pressure on them they won't go shooting off. Also take the pressure off of the suspension. Put the bike up on a bucket or something so that the front wheel just hangs. This will take some pressure off the springs too.

Allen

Old 06-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #35

I'll use my trusty milk crate. I wasn't planning on doing it on the ground. Thanks for the safety advice. I'd would be ticked off to find that I wrecked something because I didn't do homework, or ask the right person the right questions. Thanks again and again. Mike N2r.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #36

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
ok i have the USD forks, i added about 5oz to each fork. It was really simple, took about 20 mins total. It was a 21 or 22mm wrench to take the fork caps off. Then i just gave a little bit of weight to the front of the bike and the fork caps raised out of the tubes. Dumped the ATF +3 into each fork and then bolted them back together. It was very easy, made a 100% difference in the way the front end works over the rough stuff. Before it felt really harsh like the suspension wasnt really doing anything, now it is MUCH smoother and actually soaks up the bumps more.

It is also not "as" notchy as before, almost completely gone. I would recommend it to anyone.

I also bled my front brakes and they work about 200000% better, i can actually stop now! (the fluid that came out looked so burnt it wasnt even funny) I should have bled them from the beginning.

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:13 PM   #37

Couldn't believe how well my rolled once I bled the brakes. They were sticking in the front. Thought I might have to lube the piston or cylinder or something more involved. Nope, I used a see through tube and saw a piece of metal filing going past as I bled. Slapped it together and spun the wheel, woohoo. Now I pull the clutch and roll to the stop lights.

I got my ATF today, I'll put it in when it rains.
Switched to synth oil today. I think my bike found a horse somewhere. I expected it to run a little smoother, HA. I broke my land speed record. I'm doing 55->62 MPH. On the Highway. 400 series. On a 150cc. The new Honda cbr125 doesn't do much better than that.

When I got my bike I knew nothing, and I expected even less from my bike. Every time I rode it, and with every upgrade I did, it has impressed me every single time. Now I know slightly more than nothing, but one thing I'm sure about; I'm glad I got into riding. I'm not wasting my time still thinking about riding a motorcycle someday. I'm thinking about doing it tomorrow.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
Now I know slightly more than nothing, but one thing I'm sure about; I'm glad I got into riding. I'm not wasting my time still thinking about riding a motorcycle someday. I'm thinking about doing it tomorrow.
Awesome, now you can get one of these for your plate. I may still get one for DAD

1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 07-03-2007, 12:44 AM   #39

Sorry man, can't do that. Gotta keep the weight off the back end. Maybe if it came in balsa wood, I could paint it silver. Want a smaller seat. Lots of room for a bigger tank, and storage behind me. I'm always at the gas station putting in 5$. That only gets me to Canadian tire for oil and back (I have changed my oil more than I've needed to.) Then it's off to the gas bar again. :oops: I ride my bike kinda hard. I might have to ride at 60kph, but how fast I get there is my own business. :x

Old 07-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsuave13
ok i have the USD forks, i added about 5oz to each fork. It was really simple, took about 20 mins total. It was a 21 or 22mm wrench to take the fork caps off. Then i just gave a little bit of weight to the front of the bike and the fork caps raised out of the tubes. Dumped the ATF +3 into each fork and then bolted them back together. It was very easy, made a 100% difference in the way the front end works over the rough stuff. Before it felt really harsh like the suspension wasnt really doing anything, now it is MUCH smoother and actually soaks up the bumps more.

It is also not "as" notchy as before, almost completely gone. I would recommend it to anyone.

I also bled my front brakes and they work about 200000% better, i can actually stop now! (the fluid that came out looked so burnt it wasnt even funny) I should have bled them from the beginning.
Hmm, maybe I'll have to get some shock oil and add 4 oz to the front. I don't have any sticking but I would like it alot firmer.
Just to refresh my memory, when you bled the front brakes did you have to remove the top of the res. and add in brake fluid? I mean did you drain it all out and add fluid in as you went?

Old 07-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
Couldn't believe how well my rolled once I bled the brakes. They were sticking in the front. Thought I might have to lube the piston or cylinder or something more involved. Nope, I used a see through tube and saw a piece of metal filing going past as I bled. Slapped it together and spun the wheel, woohoo. Now I pull the clutch and roll to the stop lights.

I got my ATF today, I'll put it in when it rains.
Switched to synth oil today. I think my bike found a horse somewhere. I expected it to run a little smoother, HA. I broke my land speed record. I'm doing 55->62 MPH. On the Highway. 400 series. On a 150cc. The new Honda cbr125 doesn't do much better than that.

When I got my bike I knew nothing, and I expected even less from my bike. Every time I rode it, and with every upgrade I did, it has impressed me every single time. Now I know slightly more than nothing, but one thing I'm sure about; I'm glad I got into riding. I'm not wasting my time still thinking about riding a motorcycle someday. I'm thinking about doing it tomorrow.
You've come a long way Mike. No more paying stinkin' mechanics to watch 'em work. Now people can come watch YOU work on bikes. Awesome!!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2022 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 RWHP!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #42

Thanks bro, I am trying. Doing the shocks tomorrow. Ambassador's sprocket should come in the morning mail. I will have 17/42 instead of the 15/46 that came stock. Sold a piece of art so I'm getting the D.I.D. chain next week.

I do have a question, about the back sprocket. I don't have the pliers for the compression ring which holds the rear sprocket in place. Can it be removed with a screwdriver or 2 needlenose pliers without breaking? Do you know the ring I need to remove? I can post a pic if I'm not being clear.

Savage as to the breaks, yes. I already had the clear tubing, heated one end to fit over the bleed nipple. I used a spice jar inside a mason jar. Filled the spice jar half way to conserve brake fluid, as it fills over from bleading, the mason jar contains the over flow. You have to keep the other end submerged to keep the siphon vacuume.

Pour in the new fluid, pump breakes, release the valve with a 10 mm wrench while squeezing the break, but don't squeeze all the way. Close the valve again. Then repeat. You only fill a few inches of tubing at a time

It took a while but once I had passed through more than half a bottle, and that piece of metal came out, it felt done. Huge difference for me, it rolls like a 10 speed bike now.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #43

New,
What I did with the compression ring/ C-clip... Loosen the 4 bolts holding the sprocket, took a needle nose pliers and got 1 side up and out of the groove then took a screwdriver and SLOWLY pryed it towards me, popped right off... BE CAREFUL as this is a vital part of your sprocket assembly and I'm not sure where to find another C-clip...
DID chain is a great upgrade, what length did you end up getting?

Old 07-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #44

Careful. Yes. I'll write that down. 8O
Seriously now, that is the only part that concerns me. Thanks for the tip of one side at a time, instead of trying to pull on both sides at the same time. I'm confident I'll do fine.

As for the chain. Like I said, I get the cash next week. I had 15/46 now its 17/46 going to 17/42. Overall the the total length of chain should remain the stock. Maybe a link shorter. The chain adjuster on the rear wheel has a lot of travel. When I get the 42 on I'll know for sure. That's why I waited to buy the chain. I wanted to sort out the sprockets first.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #45

Did the shock mod. Biggest difference is that the front end doesn't dive when I hit the brakes. A little stiffer. My bike could probably use shims.