Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #16

What a bummer! :? You might run it around in the yard or whatever overinflated and let out a few pounds over a couple of days. If its that stubbern, riding it with it overinflated may help? (not on the road though)

The other thing is, if its all slimmed up from you seating it, and you let the pressure back out it just slides back "home"

Let the soap or whatever your using dry good.

Let me know what happens.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #17

Sounds like the rim may have a flat spot in it. Could be manufacturing defect, pot hole, jumping....?

Old 07-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #18

Well I deflated and re-sat the front tire with the soap and wack n wollop method. 70% better. Where the buldge remains, I figure the tire is stretched. Wish I would have resat the tire myself sooner. Thanks for the tips folks. I have no idea how much all these fixes would have cost if I used a mechanic at a bike shop, but I know I don't have that kind of money. N2r.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
Well I deflated and re-sat the front tire with the soap and wack n wollop method. 70% better. Where the buldge remains, I figure the tire is stretched. Wish I would have resat the tire myself sooner. Thanks for the tips folks. I have no idea how much all these fixes would have cost if I used a mechanic at a bike shop, but I know I don't have that kind of money. N2r.
Wack and wallop? That's a good description. I'm in the same boat, I worked on mine for hours and got it decent, but not where I want it. Like you too,I think the tire is off. I wonder if they put seconds on these bikes.

Oh well, I'll ride this one for a while, but I see a set of sportbike tires and a 520 conversion in the near future.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Wack and wallop? That's a good description. I'm in the same boat, I worked on mine for hours and got it decent, but not where I want it. Like you too,I think the tire is off. I wonder if they put seconds on these bikes.

Oh well, I'll ride this one for a while, but I see a set of sportbike tires and a 520 conversion in the near future.
I'm stickin with 428, I have a 150cc and I'm lite but I'm right with you on the sport tires. Stockers are starting to really show wear. 2200km. To re-tube a tire at the shop is $58. $35 if I carry the tire in, but then how do I get there. I'm too cheap for that.

Ob1. The rim looks true. It wasn't done with TLC by the mechanic when I had the front tube replaced. I payed 58$. And that was a month and a half ago. I got it 70 % better and hope to have the cash for tires next week. I'll do it properly next time.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #21

It's not worth the time to mess with changing tires and tubes, unless you have the proper mounting equipment. My local KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki shop will change a tire on a state-of-the-art motorcycle tire changer for $45 if it's on the bike or $25, if you take in just the wheel. I had a new front Pirelli Scorpion installed on my KTM today. It's worth the money not to have to deal with it. Their machine won't scratch or marr the wheel in any way. I'm having the new Kendas installed on the Jialing soon.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 07-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #22

I have changed my own, but if you can get someone to do it for a reasonable price then it is worth the money to pay them.

The china bike shop nearby fixes all brands and has a tire machine. $15 to mount a tire if it is off the bike. Considering I have struggled getting tires off wheels it is money well spent.

Allen

Old 07-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #23

Quote:
It's not worth the time to mess with changing tires and tubes, unless you have the proper mounting equipment. My local KTM, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki shop will change a tire on a state-of-the-art motorcycle tire changer for $45 if it's on the bike or $25, if you take in just the wheel. I had a new front Pirelli Scorpion installed on my KTM today. It's worth the money not to have to deal with it. Their machine won't scratch or marr the wheel in any way. I'm having the new Kendas installed on the Jialing soon.
$50 bucks to change to tires on a $1000 bike seems pricey to me, especially since I only paid ~$75 for both my Kenda 270's.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #24

I've been changing my own tires since I've had my first motorcycle. These are the easiest by far...not much different than a bicycle in terms of effort...at least mine weren't. NOW, the Kawasaki is whole nother story. But I realize not everybody wants to go through the effort. But if you have the time and money to get to a bike shop and have them do it, then go for it.

Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 07-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #25

I will probably do it on the lifan, but not on my street bikes. I even struggled for awhile on some of the dirt tires.

Allen

Old 07-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #26

If anyone is interested I found a couple of pages on changing bike tires. The guy also has instructions on building your own mounting/unmounting station on the cheap.
He sounds like he knows what he's talking about too.

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing-dirt.html