Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #1

Bike size advise

Here is my dilemma... I have a 12 year old who is 5'8" 110. He is long and lean... He has had an xr80r for a couple of years. He laid it down when he first got it, no damage to him or bike, just scared him. He wanted nothing to do with the bike after that. So... I cleaned it up last summer, cleaned the carb, adjusted everything getting ready to sell it... He jumps on it and loves it! He has put on about 7 inches since last summer. The xr80r is too small.

Do I sell the xr and get another honda or yamaha? Chinese bike? I think I would be looking in the 31 inch seat height range on a 125cc 4 stroke.

Not interested in a 200cc or bigger... I have a 200cc he sat on it but was too intimidated by the weight of the bike. Height wise it was good but too heavy for a skinny kid. his inseam btw is 34 inches.

I can't really find what I'm looking for in a chinese bike, used, cheap... or dealers that have them to try out. Not a big fan of the pit bike look with the tiny back wheel... I like the looks/size of a yamaha ttr125 but even used people want a premium... If its a good deal the bike it well worn out...

Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Administrator

Yea I was going to suggest the TTR125 as well. You can't go wrong with Big 4 quality. China bikes will definitely be cheaper, and they can be very reliable as well. So really it just depends on your pocketbook and how much you want to spend.

What about a used XR100? I had one when I was 14 and it was a good bike, and a little bigger than a XR80.

Do you definitely want to stick with a 4-stroke?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #3

as far as the XR100, I found a guy with both, xr100 and ttr125 for sale at the same time... He's asking the same price for both bikes $850. The honda is an 03 and the yamaha is an 02. The honda looks worn out, ripped seat, super dirty... The yamaha is clean, good tires. I believe a fair price, but 3 hour drive one way... I'm not sure about a 6 hour round trip if both bikes are trashed...

Seat height on the xr100 is a tad shorter than the yamaha. I found another ttr125 03 model.. The lady wants $1500 when book in excellent condition is $950. It still has original tires with tons of tread. My concern there is not a great deal for a bike that has sat unused for ten years. would need new tubes at the least and gaskets, seals, rings??? (possibly)

As far as Chinese bikes, what are some models that are appropriate seat height, engine size for what I'm looking for? I'm having a heck of a time finding info/sales of bikes like this. I saw an Apollo bike? Looked nice on the web site but looked like a slow junker on youtube vids...

Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

I think I would stick to a honda or yamaha for you son. Not alot of Chinese bikes that fall into the category you are looking for. Suzuki has a drz125 too.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #5

The 125 China pit bikes are available with a few wheel sizes; Son of Weldangrind had a bike that came with a 14" front and 12" rear, but as he grew I swapped a 17" front and 14" rear. Check it out here: http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...wtopic&t=12997 You can often pick them up for cheap on CL.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-25-2013, 11:43 PM   #6

my panterra 125cc has 21" front tire and 18" back tire. seat height about 31-32". does not feel like a small bike. good size too, lots of fun, can do 60, brand new about 900$. mine has been easily modified with parts from honda and suzuki, plus there's tons of universal fits for parts due to it's a honda clone and the xl125 is pretty much what your lookin at.
although id much rather have a yamaha or honda, i couldn't pass mine up on CL for 450$.
i think they sell them at pepboys around here..