Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #16

We eagerly await your report, Culcune.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #17

OKay...brief report. I was stuck in L.A. traffic as I left a few hours later than planned. I was about 5 minutes away from Excalibur when they were supposed to close. They stayed open for me, which enabled me to buy a few parts, including a TMEC ignition. He did not have white TMEC side panels, only red, which I was tempted to purchase since the bike did not have a left one when I purchased it. However, Mr. Liu called the official distributor, TMEC USA or something like that, who were going out of business. He told me that they were going to sell him 1 and a half TMEC enduros for parts, one of which was white. I pre-ordered the panel, and it was sent out today!

I found out that TMEC Power is closing down its US headquarters, and Excalibur will essentially be one of a few, or the only, distributor, for their bikes. Supersportz got their bikes from TMEC USA as far as I could tell from the MSO that I got with my bike, so they probably won't have them anymore, or will have to get them direct from China, or through Excalibur. Most of the TMEC enduros (not Supersportz), come via Excalibur, including T-Motorsports from this thread, Mefast, and that guy on Spokane's Craigslist. Probably that dealer in Washington state (I think it was WA, you (Spud) saw them at, too. He vaguely remembers having sold one to a dealer in Indianapolis from the Indy show, so that is probably where 'Vacationtime' got his from. The guy with that video was a direct customer of Excalibur. They will sell directly to customers provided they do not have any dealers near them. Mefast is the only authorized dealer allowed to mail-order.

He is Chinese, but spoke English well, and seemed to understand me well. He is flying to China on Jan. 10 to oversee the production of his next lot of enduros. He stated that they won't have the huge decals as he is not a big fan of them, so it should be interesting to see them with less lettering. He is hoping to have them clear customs by the end of January, but my guess is they won't be here until February. However, for most of you, that will give you enough time to order one for the spring.

Excalibur used to be a distributor for Shineray, including the 'Speedee' enduro that was popular among a few members here several years ago. However, Shineray is too unstable for his liking as people seem to come and go. He could never get stable pricing for the bikes, and even at one point found he could buy them from Roketa cheaper than directly from China! Go figure.

A little side not about Roketa; the owner went to jail for several months. Apparently, he was involved in fraud with his products. He would have bikes made from a company, and then take the design and fake serial numbers and have the same model assembled by someone else for far less money. A few bikes were legitimate, ie OEMd by Shineray, but then hundreds more were produced elsewhere, with sequentialed serial numbers that carried on from the legitimate bikes. So, many of the bikes are not legitimately serial numbered. He spent several months in jail and a $900k fine. I think that is why, starting a few years ago, they became more of a distributor for others, rather than having their own branded bikes. However, Mr. Liu stated that if wasn't for the owner of Roketa, who is a friend, Excalibur would not have started (when the bikes were legit). He had fronted him several containers of Roketa products.

As far as the enduros go, the majority will come with dual-sport wheels and tires (21"/18") vs the 17" motard wheels/tires. Interestingly, they were available with 17" f/r knobbies, but I guess people did not like those. I do feel the motard look is what makes them more interesting than the standard, typical Chinese 200 enduro, but I will also probably order a set of 17" knobbies to throw on my wheels for light trail/exploring into Mexico riding.

I mentioned that the 56 tooth rear is downright cruel and unusual punishment for both rider and bike, and he will check with the manufacturer to see if they could make something better. On a side note, the 40 tooth sprocket I custom ordered Friday from Rebel Gears got to me today via US Postal Service. If it works out, and I can get it installed on my bike before he goes, I will let him know. They were able to manufacture it based on Derbi Senda R specs and from what I measured for them. Hopefully it fits, and improves the TMEC. Then again, maybe the 21"/18" combo uses the more common Honda clone which would make it easier to gear once those bikes get out to people...

We spoke for about an hour and a half, and did not make me feel unwelcome in spite of the fact they were long closed. Since I was in the middle of my drive back to Yuma, I had to cut it short. Overall, he seems knowledgeable and more enthusiastic than what I perceive others who deal/distribute these bikes are. The fact that he listened to me shows he wants input from riders. If you watch Youtube, he is in one or two videos riding the TMEC behind his warehouse.

Oh, and I just remembered...he told me that Californians can register their bikes that are DOT/EPA, such as the 200 enduro, but the bike has to be registered at least 6 months in another state and transferred in. So, in theory, the TMEC enduro could be registered at a friend's address out of state, and then transferred into California, but after several months. I don't know how many people are trying to move to California right now, with something not California-legal, such as the TMEC, but it is doable-there is hope!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #18

That is fascinating information. Thank you for taking the time to compose, and post such a detailed report, Culcune!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #19

There are probably things I missed, so don't hesitate to ask me (if we discussed it, it would be one of those 'oh, yeah, I forgot we talked about...').

I told him to take lots of photos while he is at the TMEC factory. He is a member here, too, but has not been on since he joined over a year ago. He could start a thread with his photos of his trip. Like I said, he is big enough that he makes a decent living off the bikes and products he distributes, but he is also a rider, and his discussions aren't just about bikes as a 'product' but something he enjoys, too. I told him to send some of his HiSun UTVs to me, or come down and visit my area so we (I) can test ride them at the nearby Imperial Sand Dunes and Glamis. I figured it couldn't hurt to ask... :wink:

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #20

I just emailed back and forth with Mr. Liu about shipping a TMEC 200 to Hilo, Hawaii, where I could pick it up from the Port of Hilo. I was quoted $345.56 for shipping, and $1699 for the bike. That isn't too bad considering what some charge for shipping here. Motorcycles are much more spendy here than on the mainland USA. There are, of course, no dealers of TMEC here. Consider that I could probably buy three TMECs delivered for the price of a new Yamaha XT250. I see a few China motorcycles riding around here and LOTS of China scooters.
I did get the chance to see a TMEC 200 super moto type at a dealer on River Road in Puyallup, Wa. before we moved. I thought it was a good looking machine, and had a much more refined look than many of the cheaper Chjnese built motorcycles I have seen. I know spudrider thinks these are over priced, but this is about as cheap as they get these days it seems. And I've heard pretty good things about the TMECs.
I am thinking it over. I'm 59 and retired and started riding at 8 off road. A 200cc would do pretty well here. The main highways are 40-50 mph mostly, with a few spots at 55. Lots of off road here and gravel roads, and I have wanted to get another dual sport for a while now. The question is, do I take a risk on the TMEC or not. It would get mostly street miles with some off road.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn
I just emailed back and forth with Mr. Liu about shipping a TMEC 200 to Hilo, Hawaii, where I could pick it up from the Port of Hilo. I was quoted $345.56 for shipping, and $1699 for the bike. That isn't too bad considering what some charge for shipping here. Motorcycles are much more spendy here than on the mainland USA. There are, of course, no dealers of TMEC here. Consider that I could probably buy three TMECs delivered for the price of a new Yamaha XT250. I see a few China motorcycles riding around here and LOTS of China scooters.
I did get the chance to see a TMEC 200 super moto type at a dealer on River Road in Puyallup, Wa. before we moved. I thought it was a good looking machine, and had a much more refined look than many of the cheaper Chjnese built motorcycles I have seen. I know spudrider thinks these are over priced, but this is about as cheap as they get these days it seems. And I've heard pretty good things about the TMECs.
I am thinking it over. I'm 59 and retired and started riding at 8 off road. A 200cc would do pretty well here. The main highways are 40-50 mph mostly, with a few spots at 55. Lots of off road here and gravel roads, and I have wanted to get another dual sport for a while now. The question is, do I take a risk on the TMEC or not. It would get mostly street miles with some off road.
The Golden Days of the inexpensive, Chinese motorcycle are over. In today's marketplace, the $1,699 price for the TMEC 200 is not out of line. Also, when you consider the prices of motorcycles in Hawaii, the price of the TMEC 200 becomes even more competitive. Considering your anticipated riding, I think the TMEC 200 would be a good bike for you.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #22

That seems like a fair price to me, but have you asked the local China scooter dealers? Perhaps they could save you a bit of money, if they shipped it with some scooters.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer