Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2015, 04:28 AM   #1

RX3 Headlight Switch Repair

The switchgear of the Zongshen RX3 is generally very nice. However, the one weak spot is the headlight switch for high and low beam. This slider switch is not robust, and is prone to fail. Several weeks ago my headlight switch started to become unreliable. Then the low beam position would not work. Finally the entire switch failed, and neither high nor low beam would work.

I contacted CSC, and they sent me a new headlight switch, under warranty. However, while I waited, I could not ride safely during the daytime without a headlight, and I could not ride at all during nighttime without a headlight. Therefore, while I waited for the new switchgear to arrive, I decided to try to repair my old switchgear.

Fortunately, I had old headlight switchgear which I had replaced on my Honda CRF250X motorcycle.

I removed the rocker switch for the headlight from the old switchgear. I removed the headlight slider switch from my RX3 switchgear. Then I cut a hole in the RX3 switchgear to accommodate the rocker switch from the other unit. Finally, I soldered the appropriate wires together, and installed the rocker switch into my RX3 switchgear.

The rocker switch works well, and is very robust. However, I am fortunate I had a spare switch from which to steal the part. The new switches cost upwards of $30 each. I hope Zongshen improves the current switchgear by replacing the cheap slider switch for the headlight with a quality rocker switch.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

That has typically been a weak point in any China bike. Thanks for the write-up, Spud.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Nice job spud

I would be interested to know what you used to cut the neat hole in the switch gear.

I don't think I have a tool that would be right for the job

Old 07-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #4

Before I requested a replacement switch under warranty, I did try to repair the original switch. However, I couldn't find a way to fix, or adjust it. Therefore, I cleaned the switch, applied dielectric grease, and reassembled it. However, it still would not work. If anyone finds a way to adjust/fix the switch, please do post the information.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 07-29-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That has typically been a weak point in any China bike. Thanks for the write-up, Spud.
The switchgear on the RX3 is pretty nice, and is definitely better than the switchgear on most Chinese motorcycles. In fact, I like the switchgear, except for the headlight high/low switch. This one component, of this one switch, is the only weak element in the switchgear. However, I'm not the only one who has had problems with this switch, and I'm sure the problem will arise again, for others.

Fortunately, this is an easy fix for Zongshen, and I'm sure CSC will address this issue. As usual, the customer service from CSC was superb when I noticed this problem. They promptly sent me a replacement switch, which is now my spare switch.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Nice job spud

I would be interested to know what you used to cut the neat hole in the switch gear.

I don't think I have a tool that would be right for the job

Thank you, Kat.

I delicately employed a dremel tool to cut several notches, then I trimmed the rest of the hole with a razor/hobby knife.

The hole is a little too large, because I originally cut the hole for a rocker switch I bought at an auto parts store. However, space is limited for repairing these switches, since the handlebar must pass through the center of the switch. Therefore, the external wiring and connectors usually infringe on the area where the handlebar will mount. That is why you usually need to find a replacement switch from another piece of motorcycle switchgear to make the fix. I was fortunate to have an extra switchgear unit which I had replaced from another motorcycle.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #7

Thanks spud,

Think I will have to invest in a Dremel, they do seem to be a very handy tool.

I'm a bit slow with getting new tools, it took me along time to invest in a battery powered drill/screw driver for DIY.

Now I wouldn't be without it

Old 07-29-2015, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Thanks spud,

Think I will have to invest in a Dremel, they do seem to be a very handy tool.

I'm a bit slow with getting new tools, it took me along time to invest in a battery powered drill/screw driver for DIY.

Now I wouldn't be without it
I need to get a powered screwdriver, myself. If you like your powered screwdriver, and you have time, please do start a thread on this topic in our Off Topic/General Discussion Forum.

http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Indeed, I use my dremel tool a lot; I'm glad I own it. However, you really don't need a dremel tool to fix the headlight switch; a razor knife will do the entire job very well.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-29-2015, 02:07 PM   #9

One neat fix would be to re wire so the rocker for the hazard flasher becomes the high beam switch, and the slide switch becomes the hazard flasher switch. Most folks expect the hazard switch to operate the high beams anyway, given the position on the switch assembly. I just tried looking at the CSC service manual electrical schematic, but its in Chinese. But wait, I read Chinese, sort of. But the CSC copy is too small and fuzzy for me to make out more than a few characters. I can't make out any of the characters for the wiring colors.

I suspect that the high beam switch is a double pole, and the hazard switch is a single pole, so the idea won't work without more modification than I can deal with.

Spud, how does this sound, based on your attempt to fix the slider switch?

Old 07-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
One neat fix would be to re wire so the rocker for the hazard flasher becomes the high beam switch, and the slide switch becomes the hazard flasher switch. Most folks expect the hazard switch to operate the high beams anyway, given the position on the switch assembly. I just tried looking at the CSC service manual electrical schematic, but its in Chinese. But wait, I read Chinese, sort of. But the CSC copy is too small and fuzzy for me to make out more than a few characters. I can't make out any of the characters for the wiring colors.

I suspect that the high beam switch is a double pole, and the hazard switch is a single pole, so the idea won't work without more modification than I can deal with.

Spud, how does this sound, based on your attempt to fix the slider switch?
After I finished my repair, I thought of the same idea. However, since it was an afterthought, I didn't check the wiring inside the switch. I just now checked the wiring diagram, but I don't read Chinese, either.

I do know the wiring was changed to eliminate the 'off' position for the headlight switch, but I don't know how that change affected the wiring diagram. The headlight switch employs three wires, and I suspect the 'hazard' switch also employs three wires, but I didn't check. However, I also suspect you are correct regarding the single pole configuration of the hazard switch.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #11

Incidentally, you need to remove the fuel tank to get to the the wiring connectors. The electrical connections for the front of the bike are all located in a protected area just under the front of the fuel tank.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
But wait, I read Chinese, sort of.
Your status just went up.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #13

Well, I could figure out which way was up on the diagram, and which lights were at the front and which were at the rear.

But actually, the electrical schematic in the back of the small owners manual is in English. Get your magnifiers out, but it can be read.

And it appears it does not show the switch for the four-way flashers. So its not the exact schematic for our CSC RX3 bikes.

My plan is to wait and see if the headlight switch fails completely. If and when it does, while I am waiting for a new one from CSC, I may take the old one apart, figure out the wiring, and see if the hazard switch can be swapped with the high beam switch.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:03 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to shammash55 Send a message via Yahoo to shammash55
the guy at rx3adventure has a diagram thats large enough to see everuything.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #15

Good bodging, Spud.

Did you do a post mortem to see what had failed on the switch? Contacts, detent, etc?

I wonder if, in a night emergency, one could use a rubber band or zip tie to hold the high beam passing flasher trigger on?

Jay, wondering as I wander.