Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #1

Cable Lube Video

I had seen mentioned in the forums several times a 'cable lubing tool'. I had never heard of the tool so first I Ebayed/Amazonned to see what the tool looked like and then I YouTubed to see how the tool worked. While YouTubing I came across this video. I know about cable lubing from boat ownership and there is nothing better than a smooth operating cable. Its an inexpensive instantaneous immediate improvement that you can immediately feel in any piece of machinery with cables. I have lubed on my bike the speedometer cable and the throttle cable and the difference is easily noticeable in the smoothness of the speedo needle and the way the throttle snaps back when you release it. Even if you don't think your cables need lubed, lube them anyway. No downside.

/

Old 02-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #2

That's actually a pretty slick way of doing it! I bought the Motion Pro lube tool a few years ago, but prior to that I just tried to force lube down the side of the sleeve with the spray tip on the can... I think a bit of lube would get down the cable but it was waaay messy! This tube and hose clamp system would have worked much better.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #3

Yeh with my boat I just fit a little cup on the highest end of the cable and fill it with motor oil. Gravity will do all the rest. I would do the same with this tube method. Fill the tube with motor oil and let it sit for an hour or two till oil comes out the other end. Might be able to speed it up a bit with a little pressure from your air compressor.

/

Old 02-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Even if you don't think your cables need lubed, lube them anyway. No downside.
Wise words.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #5

I'm a stickler for smooth cables.

A quick aside to those who also ride bicycles that the teflon lined cable housings nowadays are NOT meant to be lubed.

Other than that, everything gets Triflow or cable lube or chain lube or similar.