Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2016, 04:00 AM   #1

Fitting an alarm?

Hi All

My RX3 should be with me by the end of the week, I was just wondering whether the RX3 has a socket/plug for for fitting an alarm?

Cheers

Tony

Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #2

Hi Tony. No actual socket or plug for an alarm. For my Gorilla alarm I simply wired direct to the battery (with a fuse, of course).

I don't know if you have a system in mind, but I've been happy with the one I've had for about 12 years, and have moved it to a few different bikes. Their newer models are even more compact.

http://gorillacyclealarm.com/

Old 03-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #3

That looks like a nice system, Jay. How much does it cost?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #4

That depends on which version you buy and who you buy it through.

I bought an earlier version of the 8000 series by ordering it through a shop I frequented. I prefer to support local business when I can, even if I can save on line.

Although Gorilla doesn't appear to sell customer direct, I can vouch that their customer support is still great. When I was removing this unit off one bike, I realized I had no idea where the remote was. I asked them the price of a replacement and they simply mailed me one, no charge.

I would imagine the 8xxx series are about $125 and up. Since I spent more than that on my wife for her last birthday dinner I say quite a bargain. Even their most expensive unit would be far cheaper than the cost of repairs after some hooli-squid decides to take your bike for a joyride and smush it all up.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #5

I'd rather put a tracker chip in it, so I recover the bike myself and a few friends and institute a little street justice.

An alarm seems like it would just go off on all the wrong times and piss off my neighbors. Besides, the bike's not fast, it's not a brand name, and it's only $3800 to buy a new one. That's what insurance is for.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:37 AM   #6

Hi All

Ok, ta, might just wire one up to the battery. To my eyes, insurance is just to make sure you're legal to ride, claiming on said insurance, would be the last thing on my mind, unless I was unlikely to need insurance again. The no claims discount is the only thing that keeps insurance, over here at least, vaguely reasonable !!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #7

I rarely feel the need for an alarm on a bike, except when I am traveling. I'm too cheap to have a bespoke bike alarm installed (Especially on 5 bikes), so I have a workable solution.

I use one of these Targus Defcon 1 portable alarms:

It is designed for a laptop briefcase, but works fine when attached to the bike. 110dB motion sensitive alarm that uses a thin cable to attach to the object to be secured.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."