Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2016, 10:37 PM   #1

Spoke wrench?

Ok so I noticed some of my spokes were loose, I tightened them up but I then read it's best if I use a spoke torque wrench, does anybody know the size to the spoke part that tightens the spoke?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicbarber View Post
Ok so I noticed some of my spokes were loose, I tightened them up but I then read it's best if I use a spoke torque wrench, does anybody know the size to the spoke part that tightens the spoke?
Different sizes. Mine are 5.8mm. Get a torque wrench set with different size heads. Do you know what to torque your spokes to? I just bought a spoke torque wrench and had heard to torque them to 40 to 50 inch pounds. I ended up pulling some spokes through the spoke hole in the hub. Make sure you find out the proper torque before you go through what Iam. And if you find the right torque for our CB spokes could you please post that info here?

Old 09-13-2016, 11:32 PM   #3

Quote:
The spoke part that tightens the spoke? Rather than say what I want to say, it's called a spoke nipple. I prefer a simple spoke wrench to a spoke torque wrench. A torque wrench is probably OK if the bike has no corrosion on the spokes. But if they have any corrosion, you won't get an accurate torque reading. I back off the spoke a little bit, than tighten it with only one finger. I mark the rim where I start, and do up every third spoke, three times around. Set them up so they ping (about middle "C" on a piano keyboard) when you strike them lightly with the wrench. If they go "pink" They are too tight, if they go "pong" they are too loose. Remember, the spokes hold the weight of the bike up from the top. The weight is suspended, just like a suspension bridge.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #4

Chinese motorsport shop sold these https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=530694791382 workhorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
...heard to torque them to 40 to 50 inch pounds...
Maybe too tight... Honda materials (CRF150/230F: 4 N.m | XR125/ 150L: 3.7 N.m ) <40 inch pounds !!! http://www.unitconversion.org/energy...onversion.html

Last edited by humanbeing; 09-14-2016 at 05:50 AM.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Chinese motorsport shop sold these https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=530694791382 workhorse

Maybe too tight... Honda materials (CRF150/230F manual: 4 N.m | XR125/ 150L 3.7 N.m ) <40 inch pounds !!! http://www.unitconversion.org/energy...onversion.html
Thank you for that info. Ill go with 33 inch pounds and see how that goes.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
The spoke part that tightens the spoke? Rather than say what I want to say, it's called a spoke nipple. I prefer a simple spoke wrench to a spoke torque wrench. A torque wrench is probably OK if the bike has no corrosion on the spokes. But if they have any corrosion, you won't get an accurate torque reading. I back off the spoke a little bit, than tighten it with only one finger. I mark the rim where I start, and do up every third spoke, three times around. Set them up so they ping (about middle "C" on a piano keyboard) when you strike them lightly with the wrench. If they go "pink" They are too tight, if they go "pong" they are too loose. Remember, the spokes hold the weight of the bike up from the top. The weight is suspended, just like a suspension bridge.

Thanks for telling me what it's called, (spoke nipple) good thing you knew what I was talking about, bike is still new so it doesn't have corrosion

Old 09-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Different sizes. Mine are 5.8mm. Get a torque wrench set with different size heads. Do you know what to torque your spokes to? I just bought a spoke torque wrench and had heard to torque them to 40 to 50 inch pounds. I ended up pulling some spokes through the spoke hole in the hub. Make sure you find out the proper torque before you go through what Iam. And if you find the right torque for our CB spokes could you please post that info here?
I heard the same thing, 40 to 50. Will try to do some research to find out correct specs

Old 09-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
I heard the same thing, 40 to 50. Will try to do some research to find out correct specs
From what Ive found I now believe 30 - 33 inch pounds is what our CB spokes and rims can take.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for telling me what it's called, (spoke nipple) good thing you knew what I was talking about, bike is still new so it doesn't have corrosion
Sorry to tell you that it MAY have corrosion because of the long sea voyage to get here.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
From what Ive found I now believe 30 - 33 inch pounds is what our CB spokes and rims can take.
Will try and see how it rides