Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

Magician Carb/Idle Issues

Hey guys, so I have the Magician.

I've replaced the stock carb with the Mikuni carb and also upped the main jet. I've had the same issue for a while now though, the bike won't idle unless I do two things: 1) turn the idle adjustment screw way in, where once I ride the bike for a bit it makes the idle rpms way too high, or 2) rev the bike for about 5 minutes or so until the idle "catches" and will remain without any throttle. This happens in about 45-55 degree weather. It seems like the bike will just not idle unless it has warmed up for a while, but I need to do this warming up by either revving it or turning in the idle adjustment. It also will not idle under the choke. Since I have replaced the carb, I'm not sure what else it could be. Should I up the pilot jet? Could it be something else? Or is it normal to have this kind of warm up process to get it to idle when first starting it up?

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #2

Did you adjust the valves yet?

Old 01-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Did you adjust the valves yet?
As pistolclass says, this is very important. These motors always come with very tight valves.

Also, choke is usually only used briefly so idling under choke doesn't last long anyway.

What setting do you have the needle clip at on the slide? I set mine the fourth groove down to lift the needle slightly.

Set your idle mixture screw out 2 turns. That's the screw that points straight up next to the float bowl.

Also, if this doesn't help enough, yes, I'd increase your pilot jet. the stock mikuni comes jetted very lean. I think a 20/100??? I'd go a 110 or 112.5 or 115 on the main and a 25 or 30 on the pilot.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #4

What you are experiencing is very typical of a carb jetted with too small of a pilot jet. When jetted like that they take an eternity to idle properly on their own.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
As pistolclass says, this is very important. These motors always come with very tight valves.

Also, choke is usually only used briefly so idling under choke doesn't last long anyway.

What setting do you have the needle clip at on the slide? I set mine the fourth groove down to lift the needle slightly.

Set your idle mixture screw out 2 turns. That's the screw that points straight up next to the float bowl.

Also, if this doesn't help enough, yes, I'd increase your pilot jet. the stock mikuni comes jetted very lean. I think a 20/100??? I'd go a 110 or 112.5 or 115 on the main and a 25 or 30 on the pilot.
So I have not adjusted the valves, I will look into that. Any good resources for learning how to do so? Thanks for the responses btw guys, I really appreciate it.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:20 AM   #6

https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Articles.asp?ID=293

Or dozens of other utube videos for a 250 valve adjustment
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-26-2017, 01:48 AM   #7

Some motors are more cold blooded than others...
but it sounds like your pilot jet maybe a bit small
if you go bigger in the pilot jet yer may find it may
run rich at high RPMs.. so a smaller main jet could
be needed...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironheart901 View Post
So I have not adjusted the valves, I will look into that. Any good resources for learning how to do so? Thanks for the responses btw guys, I really appreciate it.
Go to youtube and search for Motocheez he has tons of videos for what you need to do.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:39 PM   #9

So I replaced the stock 20 pilot jet with a 30 pilot jet. It really helped the no idle problem, but caused another - the thing screams at idle. I turned the fuel mixture screw all the way in and the idle mixture screw wayyy down and the bike, no choke, just screams at really high rpms at idle. I'm going to try a 25 to see if that is a perfect middle ground, but is it normal to see such an increase in idle speed when jumping from a 20 to a 30 pilot jet?

Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Some motors are more cold blooded than others...
but it sounds like your pilot jet maybe a bit small
if you go bigger in the pilot jet yer may find it may
run rich at high RPMs.. so a smaller main jet could
be needed...

Pete, when you're right, you're really right!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironheart901 View Post
So I replaced the stock 20 pilot jet with a 30 pilot jet. It really helped the no idle problem, but caused another - the thing screams at idle. I turned the fuel mixture screw all the way in and the idle mixture screw wayyy down and the bike, no choke, just screams at really high rpms at idle. I'm going to try a 25 to see if that is a perfect middle ground, but is it normal to see such an increase in idle speed when jumping from a 20 to a 30 pilot jet?
I would attack this problem in a different way. Dis-connect the throttle cable at the handlebar. Start the engine, see what happens as you pull the cable and let it go. Adjust the idle speed screw. Test it again. If it will not slow down, make sure the carburetor mounting bolts to the head are not too tight. With the engine running, slack them 1 flat on each nut at a time. Over tightening mounting bolts can cause this problem. But most likely it is the throttle cable routed wrong causing this problem.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #12

So did you ever get her running right? My magician was a little hard to get to idle at first too but turning the idle mixture out to 1.5 turns seemed to fix it.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by linemanxxlog View Post
So did you ever get her running right? My magician was a little hard to get to idle at first too but turning the idle mixture out to 1.5 turns seemed to fix it.

The bike idles much better now after its warmed up, but it still takes a while to warm up when first starting it for it to not die. It's pretty frustrating, but at this point I've gotten used to just making sure I keep giving it a little gas when I first get going as it gets warmed up. Is there anything you would recommend? I'm not quite sure what else it could be.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #14

Head Scratching Help!

Hey all,

I just recently received my Magician 250 (my first bike) from TxPowersports. So far, the bike looks great though I only have 6 miles on it. The reason I am posting though is I am having issues keeping it running. I have been lurking in these threads for the past few days looking for advice on how to rectify this issue.

I have tried to adjust the idle screw. While it keeps it from dying it also smells like something is overheating/burning, as well as revving extremely high (at least it sounds like it, hard to say for sure without an RPM gauge). Part of the issue is that this is my first bike so I know 0 about the maintenance or common issues. The other part of my issue is there is NOWHERE that will even take a look at my bike in Austin, TX.

I'm hoping it is just something small I am missing. Any advice that a novice would be able to follow would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #15

my bike took a couple days to burn off the factory paint smell off the engine.
other than that, I would say to buy an aftermarket carb that allows you to adjust it properly.