Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

It's Here!

Ordered from TxPowersports Feb 22 at 6:30. Delivered at my house March 1 at 2:00 pm. Only thing I found so far that isn't good is one rub to the metal on the rear hand grip. Just so happens that the touch up paint for my truck will work there. Many more scratches to come anyway. The major problem is the start button is on my work bench and the housing for it on the bike is cracked. How in the world it got broken with all that bubble wrap on it is odd. Sent Mannie an email. I'll report how it goes. Thanks go out to all the info, videos, and future help. Rail32 for bringing the bike to my attention. Different oil levels in the forks.
Name:  phpKC6v5yPM shrunk.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  phpQBWhhUPMshrunk.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  phpy6XeCIPMshrunk.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  61.6 KB

Old 03-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #2

Congrats on the new Hawk! it would be a miracle if you got one that came in perfect shape. The housing was more than like broke when it was packaged up. when I goy my ATV a few years back it came in without any damage on it box. when I opened it up the headlight was busted. There wasn't a hole anywhere in the box or anything near the light to even bust it. If Mannie gives you any trouble to get it replaced you could always contact Adam Rinkleff with RPS and could probably get it to you quicker, he is a member here.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 03-02-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscooter View Post
Ordered from TxPowersports Feb 22 at 6:30. Delivered at my house March 1 at 2:00 pm. Only thing I found so far that isn't good is one rub to the metal on the rear hand grip. Just so happens that the touch up paint for my truck will work there. Many more scratches to come anyway. The major problem is the start button is on my work bench and the housing for it on the bike is cracked. How in the world it got broken with all that bubble wrap on it is odd. Sent Mannie an email. I'll report how it goes. Thanks go out to all the info, videos, and future help. Rail32 for bringing the bike to my attention. Different oil levels in the forks.
Attachment 8768

Attachment 8769

Attachment 8770
Good idea getting that nasty stuff out of the forks. Should be 210cc, each leg. Delvac ATF works good for most everybody. The engine oil isn't anything to write home about either. I would change it within the first 100 miles. If the brakes are weak, spray brake cleaner on the discs. They spray the whole bike with rust preventative oil. Did you grease the swing arm hinge bolt? You should check to make sure the steering head bearings have grease. Remember, these are cup-and-cone bearings, like a bicycle. In other words loose ball bearings....ARH

Old 03-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #4

Jerry, I was contacted not long after the email I sent. Asked for pictures which I sent. So far so good. I'll do the cat gutting you posted when my jets come in. ARH, I'll grease the head bearings and pull the swing arm bolt soon. I have to grease the rear axle and since the chain is bar tight now that will be done when the new chain shows. This will be a slow build to get most stuff done that ya'll have found in the past. Brake fluid and engine oil changes today. The major problem with the bike is that I swore I'd never own another carburetor. Now I have a mikuni in a box waiting on jets. I've read your carb tuning posts several times. At 66 yo, it just remains a mystery to me. I'm sure I'll be back for help.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Jerry, I was contacted not long after the email I sent. Asked for pictures which I sent. So far so good. I'll do the cat gutting you posted when my jets come in. ARH, I'll grease the head bearings and pull the swing arm bolt soon. I have to grease the rear axle and since the chain is bar tight now that will be done when the new chain shows. This will be a slow build to get most stuff done that ya'll have found in the past. Brake fluid and engine oil changes today. The major problem with the bike is that I swore I'd never own another carburetor. Now I have a mikuni in a box waiting on jets. I've read your carb tuning posts several times. At 66 yo, it just remains a mystery to me. I'm sure I'll be back for help.
I just re-jetted the stock carburetor and it works great. As far as the chain I was going to upgrade but they must of upgraded the chain from the 2015 models. I have right a 900 mile on the stock chain. It stopped stretching after I had about 200 miles on it. I haven't had to adjust it since I installed the new sprocket.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Different oil levels in the forks.
Not uncommon at all. It's the main reason why it's good to change it right away....that and the stock stuff is junk.

Congrats!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Setting up a carburetor for these bikes is pretty simple. But we are here for you if you lose your way. Carburetors work fine on single cylinder bikes. I'm 80 years old, and if I can figure out a carburetor, so can you...ARH

Old 03-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #8

Today was valve set time. There was no play at all in any stage of revolution. So I set them at 3 mm on the (hopefully) combustion stroke. They really liked stuff tight on this bike.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #9

When you have the "T" mark lined up and both valves are closed that is TDC or combustion stroke.