Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet321 View Post
What kind of top speeds do you guys get on the hawk?

I get to 55 and she starts sputtering like it's hitting a rev limiter, I thought it was a main jet issue but I tried a 105 and it ran worse. Am I doing something wrong?
I can top out somewhere near 65 if I'm on level grade and not fighting wind, and that's with a 200 Lifan. There is more in your Hawk, you just have to unleash it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #107

I figured it out, it wasn't a jetting issue. I was running a air filter straight off the carb and it wasn't running right at the top end. I ran the filter into the filter box and the bike runs great now and will top out at the 65 mph everyone has claimed, this change seems to have fixed the issue. The popping and gurgling coming off of throttle has disappeared as well, the bike sounds and runs better. Does anyone think the bike runs better with a slightly restrictive intake?

Has anyone else experienced this? I figure I'm running the bike more rich now. It really surprised me how much a difference it made. I've been messing with the jetting for the past couple weeks when I get a chance, and I couldn't get the mix right.

Also, does anyone know where I could get a good replacement throttle assembly? Mine has play in it, figure I should replace it, RPS wants $40, that's a bit steep.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #108

Quote:
I figured it out, it wasn't a jetting issue. I was running a air filter straight off the carb and it wasn't running right at the top end. I ran the filter into the filter box and the bike runs great now and will top out at the 65 mph everyone has claimed, this change seems to have fixed the issue. The popping and gurgling coming off of throttle has disappeared as well, the bike sounds and runs better. Does anyone think the bike runs better with a slightly restrictive intake?

Has anyone else experienced this? I figure I'm running the bike more rich now. It really surprised me how much a difference it made. I've been messing with the jetting for the past couple weeks when I get a chance, and I couldn't get the mix right.

Also, does anyone know where I could get a good replacement throttle assembly? Mine has play in it, figure I should replace it, RPS wants $40, that's a bit steep.
Strange. I've never had an issue with a pod right off the carb (other than fire). Mrs 2LZ TT has the little pod and it runs incredibly well. Whatever works best for you, stick with it!

Is it just slop in the cable? Have you adjusted it?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Strange. I've never had an issue with a pod right off the carb (other than fire). Mrs 2LZ TT has the little pod and it runs incredibly well. Whatever works best for you, stick with it!

Is it just slop in the cable? Have you adjusted it?
I thought it was strange too but now she revs out past 6k now, which is where she was choking.

Yeah there's slop for sure, at least an inch or two of travel before lifting the slide at all. I adjusted it as best I could but it didn't fix it.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #110

Quote:
Might be time to give CSC a call and see if they have a part from the TT250 that will fit your HAWK... there prices are extremely reasonable even after shipping

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/TT250-OEM-PARTS-s/306.htm

I found a few parts but I'm not sure if it's just the rubber grips or the throttle assembly too... but everything I was able to find was under $10 each part

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Might be time to give CSC a call and see if they have a part from the TT250 that will fit your HAWK... there prices are extremely reasonable even after shipping

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/TT250-OEM-PARTS-s/306.htm

I found a few parts but I'm not sure if it's just the rubber grips or the throttle assembly too... but everything I was able to find was under $10 each part
I saw that, but it seems that the TT250 has a choke lever on the throttle assembly?

Old 08-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #112

Quote:

To me, it seems like it was a jetting issue. My guess is that the jetting was too lean, and placing the filter inside the box slowed the airflow enough to work with the main jet. If you go back to an exposed filter and a fatter main jet, you might find even more power.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
To me, it seems like it was a jetting issue. My guess is that the jetting was too lean, and placing the filter inside the box slowed the airflow enough to work with the main jet. If you go back to an exposed filter and a fatter main jet, you might find even more power.
I tried that, the mikuni I got had a 100 main in it, and I tried 105/110/115 and it would not run right. What's crazy is there's guys on here at half my elevation and they're running 115's.

I'll look at it again this weekend, there has to be something I'm not doing right.

That's the same conclusion I assumed too.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:48 PM   #114

Quote:
I tried that, the mikuni I got had a 100 main in it, and I tried 105/110/115 and it would not run right. What's crazy is there's guys on here at half my elevation and they're running 115's.

I'll look at it again this weekend, there has to be something I'm not doing right.

That's the same conclusion I assumed too.
I would try running without the air cleaner hose hooked up to the carburetor. That should tell you where the problem is. If the engine pulls fine without the air cleaner, the problems in the aircleaner and/or the hose. If the engine running quality doesn't improve, try squirting oil around where the carb. bolts to the head, with the engine running. If it runs better, there is an air leak where the carb. mounts to the head. This is often caused by over tightening the mounting nuts, warping the carb/head mounting surfaces. If none of this makes any difference, something is not right in the carburetor.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #115

Jets and tuning with jet

So I got the 115/30 jets in my carb and did 1.5 turns out on the mixture screw, and the bike is still bogging at WOT and high RPMs 6k+. Do you guys think it's running to lean still? I tried turning the mixture screw out to 2 then 2.5 turns out and then setting it back to original (0 turns) with no luck. I know there are a bunch of threads on this but I haven't seen anything for the bogging. I also checked to see if the carb is clean and it seems as such. I'm at 3,500ft. Thanks again.

Update: I got my shinkos on and put some new levers on the bike and it looks sweet. I'll post some pictures later.

Also, with ARH's post below, I didn't have the 30 pilot jet in it, I'll have to investigate the carb leak. I hadn't seen my thread in ages lol

Old 03-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #116

Quote:
So I got the 115/30 jets in my carb and did 1.5 turns out on the mixture screw, and the bike is still bogging at WOT and high RPMs 6k+. Do you guys think it's running to lean still? I tried turning the mixture screw out to 2 then 2.5 turns out and then setting it back to original (0 turns) with no luck. I know there are a bunch of threads on this but I haven't seen anything for the bogging. I also checked to see if the carb is clean and it seems as such. I'm at 3,500ft. Thanks again.

Update: I got my shinkos on and put some new levers on the bike and it looks sweet. I'll post some pictures later.

Also, with ARH's post below, I didn't have the 30 pilot jet in it, I'll have to investigate the carb leak. I hadn't seen my thread in ages lol
Sounds a little fat for 3500 ft. Stock exhaust I assume? drop to 110 and 22.5 or 25, middle needle. then try the screw.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Sounds a little fat for 3500 ft. Stock exhaust I assume? drop to 110 and 22.5 or 25, middle needle. then try the screw.
aftermarket exhaust w/ gasket