Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #1

Vader 125cc Valve adjustment

Hey fellow Vader owners. I've been having trouble on getting my bike started right out of the box. My guess is after the tinkering I've done it probably needs a valve adjustment. I've never done one before but I have the tools and the confidence. I'm assuming its very similar to the grom? Does anyone know the valve clearances?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #2

Also any other tips would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-25-2017, 11:31 AM   #3

Hi,
I assume you went through the basics first?

- verify spark
- verify fuel flow
- verify compression
- tried using starter fluid
- minimize throttle slack

I've definitely had to do all of the above

Old 04-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #4

I'm assuming I have spark and fuel flow as it sounds like it wants to start. Would compression be an issue right out of the box? I dont have the tools to check compression. I know the throttle cable has a bit of slack but it doesnt seem like enough to prevent it from running if I'm pulling on it. Haven't tried starting fluid either. I think I'm going to check the valves, change the oil, and take it from there. My new carb and stuff are showing up soon, that might help, although I was hoping to break the motor in before the swap.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #5

Success! I was only able to bump start it, but that was enough to warm up the oil for a change. I think the regulator is junk (it buzzes when I try to use the electric start). Tomorrow I'm going to do a valve adjustment and mess with the carb a bit. It deff smells like somethings burning, cant tell if thats the shitty oil or a hose touching the engine or something like that. Speedo doesn't work, need to check the connection. Baby steps I suppose.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
Success! I was only able to bump start it, but that was enough to warm up the oil for a change. I think the regulator is junk (it buzzes when I try to use the electric start). Tomorrow I'm going to do a valve adjustment and mess with the carb a bit. It deff smells like somethings burning, cant tell if thats the shitty oil or a hose touching the engine or something like that. Speedo doesn't work, need to check the connection. Baby steps I suppose.
yes, definitely check for exhaust clearance issues w/ hoses , wires etc. depending on how long you have run it for the first time , they all smell after first run due to the exhaust paint and engine coatings. put er in the wind and it will go away.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
As others said it's just the smell of it being ran for the first time. Mine had a strong odor for the first little bit but now it's almost completely gone.
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*
Vader 125cc *sold after owning for many years*
1997 Jeep Wrangler *sold due to frame rot*

Old 04-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #8

yeah, mine definitely had that weird smell the first time it ran. Kind of like a mixture of melting plastic and oil and exhaust.