Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #136

Thumbs Up It's official!

The RaceTech spring for a 2012 KTM XC-F will fit the Fastace Pitster Pro LXR 250 shock:

The part number is 6325xx where "xx" is the kg/mm (stiffness) you desire.

Set sag at 33% with gear on. Without gear I am on my toes now. Seriously considering buying the spacers to lower it 2" correctly now. I'm not a MX guy and don't think I'll ever need more than 10" of travel. Plus I'm old and slow anymore. Falling down seems like less and less fun every year...
1993 Fantic Key-Roo 250

Old 05-28-2017, 11:15 PM   #137

Tested new spring, new tank, new tire...

Finally a day of pure riding. Installed an MT43 with a TuBliss system on the rear. Tire looks humongous! It is!

Great day in the mountains/desert near Cherry Creek. Lots of variety; everything from long sections of whoops to steeeep rocky goat trails to sand to cedar tree slaloms.

SPRING-
New rear spring has helped immensely. Bike corners very well now. No more worries about bottoming out on my footpegs. I was able to ride much more aggressively all day.

TANK-
Tank is a good fit. It's nice and narrow where you need to lock your knees on steep descents, but low enough that you can climb way forward on the seat during big climbs. On a few climbs I was all the way up against the gas cap!! As long as I could keep my weight forward there was nothing this bike wouldn't climb. And we did take on a few nasty climbs. I put 3.5 gallons in it, which just touches the "Acerbis" lettering on the side.

TIRE-
The MT43 is a DOT approved trials type tire. When combined with the TuBliss system it has an enormous foot-print after airing it down. I ran it at 7 psi today and that seemed perfect. In rough, rocky switchback climbs (where is impossible to carry much speed) it just gripped its way though.

OVERALL BIKE-
The EFI continues to impress. I mean, who doesn't love a self tuning carburetor?? The area takes riders from 6000-7200 ft above sea level, which has caused me issues with 2-strokes in the past. The motor pulls well right up through red-line and the rev limiter is so smooth that on very steep all out climbs I just kept the bike pegged out. It just keeps on keeping on. The bike starts well in neutral, but sometimes struggles in 1st gear with the clutch pulled in; I've been chalking it up to tightness in the clutch slowing the starter a bit. MY hope is that it gets looser with break in.

The front forks were popping me up on doll-head to baby head sized rocks for the first few hours. We stopped and I took the time to pull the caps on the bottom of the forks and adjusted the clickers about 6 turns softer. This really helped keep the front end planted. The rear shock and spring were so good I never messed with them, but I am sure some tuning might be beneficial.

The only issue the Pitster had all day was a throttle that started to get sticky late in the day. It wasn't snapping back to closed, so i had to twist it back. This caused some arm pump and concern. I will dig into it and see if the return spring broke or got gummed up somehow. Luckily the bike has dual cables making it safe to ride out. My old 300 had a single cable that stuck open on me a few times! Man what a ride that was.

So far I'm loving the Pitster Pro LXR250. Today's ride it showed itself to be a solid platform for a trail/enduro/desert all-around bike.
1993 Fantic Key-Roo 250

Old 06-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #138

Thought I would mention that the throttle sticking issue turned out to be my fault. A combo of excess grip glue and dropping the bike allowing dirt to get jammed up the throttle tube caused the issue.
Pulled the assembly and cleaned the glue off with a razor blade and it snaps closed like it should now.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #139

Six Days Edition

Old 06-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #140

Nice !

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
As CSCDude would say, can we get a link?
http://www.pitsterpro.com/bike/overview/id/66

It's not cheap but I didn't think it would be with specs. The price is still less than a Honda CRF250L dual sport and Pitsterpro claims 32hp from that engine.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
http://www.pitsterpro.com/bike/overview/id/66

It's not cheap but I didn't think it would be with specs. The price is still less than a Honda CRF250L dual sport and Pitsterpro claims 32hp from that engine.
Seems like a real nice bike. I like the way that the KTM tank bolts right up. Seems like the closest thing to compare it to would be the AJP PR5, but that bike is another $1500 or so. They may even use the same engine as the AJP uses one made by Zongshen.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #143

very cool bike. good thing about the rx3 motor is you can get your oil filters and engine parts from CSC.

Old 06-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B View Post
very cool bike. good thing about the rx3 motor is you can get your oil filters and engine parts from CSC.
I wonder if the exhaust valves are easier to get at?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I wonder if the exhaust valves are easier to get at?
Will try and get some pictures when I jump into this; haven't been riding as much as I'd like.

With the dry conditions and high fire risk season we are having; I'm hesitant to get off the tarmac until I get the FMF Q4 mounted up. The good news is that the welding wire I ordered to weld the PP steel adapter to the FMF muffler arrived today. It should be a busy weekend in the garage!!

Old 06-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #146

PP steel... ??

do you mean stainless steel ?

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 06-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #147

Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
PP steel... ??

do you mean stainless steel ?

Uhh...

I should have clarified- the PP (Pitster Pro) header pipe clamp is steel.

The FMF muffler is stainless and the inlet is too big, so I am cutting the end off of the PP muffler to adapt the FMF to the PP. Some pictures will make it sensible. I hope.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChondaChondaChonda View Post
Uhh...

I should have clarified- the PP (Pitster Pro) header pipe clamp is steel.

The FMF muffler is stainless and the inlet is too big, so I am cutting the end off of the PP muffler to adapt the FMF to the PP. Some pictures will make it sensible. I hope.
How much too big is it? In my younger days we used to cut sheet copper in a strip. When I did it I cut the end at a 45 degree angle, left the other end too long, and trimmed it for a good fit. Once I had to use two strips, one on top of the other to get a tight fit. I staggered the joins to reduce exhaust leakage...ARH

Old 07-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #149

FMF complete!

ARH- this should answer your question;

This is the stock muffler and clamp. There is a thick exhaust gasket inside the end "bell".

Here is the stock muff next to the FMF. The inlet on the FMF is 51mm and the bell OD is 50mm.

I briefly considered using this adapter made for 2008+ Ninja 250 systems, but the angle was not coming out quite right and the small end wasn't *quite* going to stretch out enough to work. More clamps than necessary too.

Last edited by ChondaChondaChonda; 07-01-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: add ninja adapter

Old 07-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #150

FMF part 2

A little chopsaw action and PRESTO; an FMF adapter!

The bell off the stock muffler is a perfect fit in the FMF end;

Tags
efi, fuel injection, lxr250, pitster