Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #1

Engine stumbling on acceleration

HELP PLEASE! I'am not a mechanic.

I purchased a Dirt Bike on Craigslist still in the crate. It says Rickypowersports on the 162FMJ engine and Viper on seat.

It starts very easy and idles good, but when I start down the road when it gets a a high rpm it starts to stumble, I let off the gas very little and it will smooth out again until I give a lot of gas.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #2

Welcome! Just to be sure that we're providing appropriate guidance, please show us a few pics of the motor.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #3

The Carb is a Sheng Wey PZ27 KSL03/HS150GY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 162FMJ_Viper_Engine_2016_.jpg (35.4 KB, 324 views)

Old 06-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #4

I recommend that you remove the carb and then remove the main jet for cleaning. I suspect that something is clogging it.

Just unscrew the cap from the top of the carb and withdraw the slider and spring assembly; let it hang to the side. Close the fuel valve on the tank. Loosen (but do not remove) the screw at the very bottom of the bowl to drain out the fuel. Remove the airbox and then detach the carb from the intake tube. You might have a choke cable on the left side of the carb, but it is easy to remove.

Once the carb is out, remove the three bowl screws and remove the bowl. Once the bowl is out of the way, you'll see the brass round main jet in the center of the carb. unscrew it and see if it is clogged. I use a single strand of wire from a wire brush to gently remove deposits. Clean the inside of the carb with aerosol carb cleaner from an auto parts store (please wear eye protection). Reassemble and reinstall.

When you put the slider and spring assembly back in, ensure that the long vertical groove is on the left side of the carb; it lines up with a small pin inside the bore, which keeps the slider in the correct orientation.

Let us know the result.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #5

Good copy weld. Not suguesting he try it but one could almost accomplish it without removing the carb. There is a lot of room on this one. Still better to take time , especially if first time fooling with one to take off bike and will give a chance to see how it all works...its so simple even I can do it.

He says he is not a mechanic but I predict he will be all the wiser pretty soon.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #6

Great directions Weldangrind Carb is off.

On problem the carb is sealed and does not have screws. I am not a mechanic, but I am a machinist so the sealed carb will be no problem.

Would it be better to just buy a new PZ27 Carburetor ? Can't find a Sheng Wey carb, but when I do a search the name Keihin pops up under PZ27 is the Shen Wey carb and other PZ27's just a copy of the Keihin?

Old 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #7

This is the carb I've installed several times: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKUNI-30mm-...FZIE9E&vxp=mtr
It's easy to find jets for and the bowl has four screws (real screws) instead of three.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #8

BTW, you can save a few dollars by buying directly from China on eBay, but it'll take three weeks to receive your new carb.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:05 PM   #9

It works, no more stumbling on acceleration Thank you Weldangrind. I took out the what people call the EPA screws cleaned the carb and put it back together with M4-16 screws.

Can I ask another question please.

Before I had the stumbling on acceleration it also would backfire when I let the throttle off on shifting, not all the time and it sound more like a misfire the hard sounding backfire. Kinda hard to explain.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #10

Most likely from the air injection system.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sams2017 View Post
It works, no more stumbling on acceleration Thank you Weldangrind. I took out the what people call the EPA screws cleaned the carb and put it back together with M4-16 screws.

Can I ask another question please.

Before I had the stumbling on acceleration it also would backfire when I let the throttle off on shifting, not all the time and it sound more like a misfire the hard sounding backfire. Kinda hard to explain.
Glad to hear that you got it sorted. I'm not exactly sure what your question is, since you're telling us how it was, before you cleaned the carb. Is that how it's behaving now, since you cleaned the carb? I'm happy to offer guidance however I can, but I'd like to be more clear on what you're asking.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #12

Running perfect now. All I did was change the spark plug and started using REC 90 Gas.