Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #1

Tao tao 125 no power

New guy here, I've got several of these Chinese ATVs, I've got a total 125cc with reverse that is having problems. Starts and runs great! Plenty of power and rpms in neutral. Put it in drive and it won't pull my 50 pound granddaughter. Put it in reverse and it will damn near flip you over the handlebars!! Is there a switch that's bad?

Old 06-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #2

Semi Auto? If so try adjusting the clutch.

/

Old 06-25-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

Not semi auto, just forward and reverse, one gear. Can go as fast as you want in reverse, but engine will hardly rev going forward! I was wandering if there was a switch off some sort that changed ignition timing when it's put in reverse that could be wired incorrectly! Nobody I've talked to seems have any idea why it would do this!!

Old 06-25-2017, 08:01 AM   #4

There might be a way to limit the power of the bike for younger riders,I have not dealt with that yet but I bet flashlightboy might know something about it .

Old 06-25-2017, 11:56 PM   #5

Power

I would like to know if the motor revs up in forward( clutch needing adjustment) but put it up in the air... see if it will go fast with no weight on it.. is your throttle governor set all the way off?? may seem like stuoid questions but you have to start some where.,.. it seems like this was answered before... lots of speed in reverse.. but not in forward.. do not remember if it was fixed.. the air adjustment may need adjusting that is why the question of reving it up in the air or in neutral?? for some reason I think in reverse the clutch acts different for driving compared to forward?? crazy but check it out

Old 06-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #6

taotao 125cc, no torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyjames70 View Post
New guy here, I've got several of these Chinese ATVs, I've got a total 125cc with reverse that is having problems. Starts and runs great! Plenty of power and rpms in neutral. Put it in drive and it won't pull my 50 pound granddaughter. Put it in reverse and it will damn near flip you over the handlebars!! Is there a switch that's bad?
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!! I also have a 2017 TaoTao 125cc, automatic (F-N-R). Has hardly any torque in forward, but tons of torque in reverse. Will not move with out a push in forward, even without a rider.
I tried the clutch adjustment screw, but it was already all the way in. I backed it out and it will not even go in gear when backed off just a little bit. I do not see how it could be the clutch, i got it April 2017.... its still new!!!

Old 07-01-2017, 01:34 AM   #7

Sort of funny. I just got two atvs in yesterday. I have the Taotao 125 together and it is sort of sluggish in forward. I adjusted the governor screw on the throttle and that helped. The manual says something about an aire restrictor plate in the carb. Not sure if that is actually there or not from reading. I will be checking tomorrow.

I also purchased a Coolster 125 but I will be putting that together tomorrow.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:10 PM   #8

Clutch

I have to laugh when people say it is new.... new is 1-5 minutes old... not a couple of months old or a year old... I have a customer who bought a 125 atk dune buggy,,, F -N - R MOTOR... 1/2 hour later the clutch piles up... the plates were shot.. this was new stock .. not old stock.. a new clutch fixed it.. warranty for me...to replace it... check your clutch.. he adjusted it .. no diff... drain the oil check for lining material ... pull the side cover off and see.... somehow it works in reverse the odd time.. there is no diff about the air inlet screw on the carb for forward or reverse drive,... the motor runs the same way.... take apart your cover and see.. it is the clutch....

Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
I have to laugh when people say it is new.... new is 1-5 minutes old... not a couple of months old or a year old... I have a customer who bought a 125 atk dune buggy,,, F -N - R MOTOR... 1/2 hour later the clutch piles up... the plates were shot.. this was new stock .. not old stock.. a new clutch fixed it.. warranty for me...to replace it... check your clutch.. he adjusted it .. no diff... drain the oil check for lining material ... pull the side cover off and see.... somehow it works in reverse the odd time.. there is no diff about the air inlet screw on the carb for forward or reverse drive,... the motor runs the same way.... take apart your cover and see.. it is the clutch....
So I have my coolster and taotao running as of this weekend. The coolster is a semi auto and pulls like crazy. The taotao will get going after a while but has no low end torque. So if you are wanting to go up a hill you better get a head start. Can I change this some or do I need to look into converting this bike into a semi auto?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #10

air screw

turn the air screw alittle back & forward until it idles the best... BUT the air screw should not bother it at higher speeds??? for more toque... change the engine gear to a smaller one... that is the easiest way.. anything else .. I have no more ideas..

Old 07-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #11

low power in forward

A lot of people talk about low power in forward... no one is getting back on it.??? does anyone check the bearing??? they can be seizing up .. and in forward the are hard to drive... in reverse it is ok... crazy bearings will do that... I just fixed a buying 110 cc with the same problem.. just up the wheels... try to turn the wheels ... had to take the chain off.. same thing... hard to turn... put in 2 new 6006 bearing... rolls excellent with the chain on in neutral... rolls good now... everyone says the motor revs up .. drives ok in reverse... but no good in forward... seems crazy....... if the brakes are stuck on as well ... reverse will be ok... not forward.. try it out... put the rear brakes on.. alittle .... back up.... you can do that... but forward... it drags.. reverse is a higher torque gear... even on your car...