Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #16

Think of it as a good place holder for a decent $30 Fakuni. It is just like Glocks, great gun, the sights are more like placeholders for real sights.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
The Sheng wey carb was specified for two very good reasons. (1) More difficult to modify from EPA compliant status, and (2) less cost at manufacturers level. Number 2 I did not really understand until 2 friends of mine, who worked at GM (in Detroit) engineering tech, came off work seeking solace in the hands of Bacchus. They were frothing at the mouth over a decision by upper management at GM to use four rear tail lights on the new Corvair instead of Indium-Bronze main and rod bearings. For the same cost with Indium-Bronze bearings they could only afford two tail lights. Now that is the way the real world of engineering actually works....ARH
Interesting...cause if it doesnt sell, nothing else matters

This was my dad's first new car when he returned from the oil patch in Sumatra.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Interesting...cause if it doesnt sell, nothing else matters

This was my dad's first new car when he returned from the oil patch in Sumatra.
By the time I was talking about, the Corvair already had a niche market. The two big dogs in that segment of the market were the Studebaker Lark and the Ford Falcon, neither of which could compete with the Corvair as a semi sports car. As time went on, the Corvair became sportier and sportier, and did very well. Until Ralph Nader came along....ARH

Old 01-04-2018, 10:03 PM   #19

Nader.... Another CT embarrassment.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
The Sheng wey carb was specified for two very good reasons. (1) More difficult to modify from EPA compliant status, and (2) less cost at manufacturers level. Number 2 I did not really understand until 2 friends of mine, who worked at GM (in Detroit) engineering tech, came off work seeking solace in the hands of Bacchus. They were frothing at the mouth over a decision by upper management at GM to use four rear tail lights on the new Corvair instead of Indium-Bronze main and rod bearings. For the same cost with Indium-Bronze bearings they could only afford two tail lights. Now that is the way the real world of engineering actually works....ARH
i had heard the the big auto makers deliberate over 10 cents difference in parts cost. all those dimes add up over millions of cars.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 01-05-2018, 12:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
i had heard the the big auto makers deliberate over 10 cents difference in parts cost. all those dimes add up over millions of cars.
I saw a documentary about Wal-Mart and there was a guy that worked for a major company that was a vendor of theirs and he said that he had seen Wal-Mart purchasing agents get up and walk away from the table over 1/2 of a cent per unit cost because they were talking about buying millions of the item and the overall cost was more than they wanted to pay. So what seems like a trivial amount can actually add up to millions of dollars and the bean counters are only concerned with the bottom line.
2016 CSC TT 250, 17/40 sprockets, JT 428 chain, Stock Keima carburetor with needle raised 1 notch and 115 main jet. Modified stock exhaust, Tachometer/Digital cluster upgrade. LED headlight, Superbrightleds 1157 Tail light bulb, Shinko 705's 90/90-21 and 120/80-18.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #22

my scooter came with a sheng whey, it was already destroyed by ethanol soit became junk and I went with a Keihin, carbs need adjustment to function properly , even summer to winter, these are not electronic self adjusting ones ,atmospheric conditions are different, and temps are different

Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post
my scooter came with a sheng whey, it was already destroyed by ethanol soit became junk and I went with a Keihin, carbs need adjustment to function properly , even summer to winter, these are not electronic self adjusting ones ,atmospheric conditions are different, and temps are different
The only thing that I've noticed with the Keima here in Florida is during this recent cold snap is that in the colder air it idles a little higher but not enough to even bother with and one morning I did actually have to use the choke but generally I find it's easier to just give it a little gas while starting and keep the revs up for about a minute than it is trying to find the choke since it's pretty hard to reach. Even at 28 degrees after about a minute it settled into a decent idle on it's own.
2016 CSC TT 250, 17/40 sprockets, JT 428 chain, Stock Keima carburetor with needle raised 1 notch and 115 main jet. Modified stock exhaust, Tachometer/Digital cluster upgrade. LED headlight, Superbrightleds 1157 Tail light bulb, Shinko 705's 90/90-21 and 120/80-18.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #24

What part of the carb was destroyed by ethanol? I keep hearing of carbs destroyed by ethanol but I've never seen one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostforawhile View Post

Old 01-10-2018, 10:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
What part of the carb was destroyed by ethanol? I keep hearing of carbs destroyed by ethanol but I've never seen one.
O-rings and gaskets dry out and get brittle, brass parts turn green and start to "pit out", and any other part that doesn't like "water absorbed fuel" or "alcohol drying gas"... lots of ways "ethanol fuel" can destroy a carb IME

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #26

2 Hydrogen and oxygen and we are makin water . It just happened in my moms x300 john deer. May have been due to cold temps down here. had to dump the tank and clear the lines
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #27

My carb wasn't affected but I had my stock fuel line swell up on the inside to where it wouldn't allow any fuel to flow. In fact when I took it off to replace it you couldn't even blow air through it. Now I just run ethanol free gas when I can get it.