Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #1

More xr350 parts on my hawk.

1984 xr350 swing arm, link, and shock are mocked up on my bike.

The swingarm needs a shim on either side, but the bolt is the same.

had to weld a mount for the link onto the lower crosstube of the frame, and I still need to redrill the top mount extensions I had welded in place already.

The top bolt location places too much leverage on the shock, and the stock location would have the spring pinned into the top crosstube.

Need to mill the brake mount and make a bush for the sproket side of the wheel, to get the sprokets lined back up just right.

Wish i had the wheels for that bike.

I'll take pics once its completed, painted and being reassembled.

probly next weekend, i have to remove all the broken grease zerks and replace them before reassembling it.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:12 AM   #2

Question
Is the frame strong enough for the link mount...
it was never designed for loadings of linkage suspension...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 05-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #3

There is not much load to speak of on the link. It doesn't require much. The honda link mount is 1/16" steel, welded to the same location on the honda frame. The honda frame is better steel, but hawks frame is still steel, "mostly I think".

My link mount is 1/8th steel, so not going anywhere.

The bigger issue for me is getting the shock mount right at the top so that the leverage on it matches that of the xr350.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwildman View Post
There is not much load to speak of on the link. It doesn't require much. The honda link mount is 1/16" steel, welded to the same location on the honda frame. The honda frame is better steel, but hawks frame is still steel, "mostly I think".

My link mount is 1/8th steel, so not going anywhere.

The bigger issue for me is getting the shock mount right at the top so that the leverage on it matches that of the xr350.
Hawk frame is all steel. And it is a very good frame. Not the ultimate in either material or design, but really a good foundation. Especially for the price....ARH

Old 05-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #5

Now were getting somewhere. between this and the forks it handles great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0614.jpg (98.2 KB, 1473 views)

Old 05-27-2018, 09:11 PM   #6

SWEET! great work. cannot wait to see how it performs

Old 05-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #7

I've got an '83 XR200R I can temporarily rob parts from. I might try something similar.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
SWEET! great work. cannot wait to see how it performs

Performing really well, im regularly doing 3' drops and jumps, even drove it up a tree stump.

I do have to run the chain a bit more slack, but with the chain guides from the xr its not an issue. and when I sit it's perfect. I added a roller to gather most of the slack at full droop.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #9

Not xr350 but Honda, what do you think? Freshly built and converted to 12v. Starts one kick, no smoke, leaks, ticks, nothing just like new. It had thrown a chain in 4th gear, stripped the gear, split the stator side case, ripped the top mount off the valve cover. I have $230 into it after all the work.

I usually do a few builds like this per year and sell them off on ebay for profit, thats where I get my spare Honda parts, alot of junker's get aquired over time.

Theres no way this will fit the hawk, without some massive fabrication work, but I'm ok with that.

How long do you think the rear wheel will last?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55154246141__9B3FF542-88FC-42B8-8A9D-C70D99162A99.jpg (90.6 KB, 1396 views)

Old 06-25-2018, 01:16 AM   #10

Which motor is that? I see the decompression device and the split exhaust; is it an early XR250, like an XR250S?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Which motor is that? I see the decompression device and the split exhaust; is it an early XR250, like an XR250S?
it's a 79 or 80 xl500s engine, PD01 so maybey late 79 or early 80.
Had tossed a chain in 4th gear, stripped the gear, split the stator cover, ripped the top mount right out of the rocker cover.

I put it together with used parts except for the gaskets and seals, I have $230 into it including the $100 I paid for the lump.

Not being a popular bike anymore I might get $300 for it, maybey more from the right buyer. I figure I might as well use it, especially if there is something starting to let go in my cg motor. Im really hoping to at least get through the summer on the original engine.

still running strong but something gone wrong in the starter mechanism, and now the kicker is acting up as well.

The big Honda puts out like 34hp, I wouldnt be surprised to see the cush drive give up.

Last edited by jimwildman; 06-26-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:46 PM   #12

Its alive, since these pics ive made up a heat sheild, rejetted the carb,fixed exhaust leaks, and a few more odds and ends. its powerfull and stupid fast, I ordered a larger rear sproket and chain, have a 1 tooth smaller front to install once, that will get it close to the original xl500 ratio.

here is a short vid of the first start after installation in the highly modified Hawk250 frame.

The forks or rear swingarm didnt require any changes to the frame but the engine, and xr500 shock sure did..it took about 50 hours total to complete the engine swap.

the pilot jet is way too rich in this vid,, started with no choke and wants to load up as it warms.. Ive dropped that jet from a 35 to a 30 since then and it wants the idle air screw at 1.5 so I figure ive got that sorted out.

Its surprising how much louder this is through the same aftermarket slipon we all use on our hawks, Ill have to modify the silencer, its really ridiculous how loud it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0662.jpg (98.0 KB, 1232 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0667.jpg (95.2 KB, 1303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0663.jpg (93.5 KB, 1252 views)

Old 09-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #13

So I guess that make your bike the official king of Hawks, I don't see anybody topping your 500cc engine swap. Ya know this is another example of Japanese trying to over power the Chinese...I couldn't resist!

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #14

wow very very impressive. I've thought of doing something likw that. Do you take off-road at all? is it lots heavier? thst engine sounds good.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #15

Id say 95% off road use. I ride it to and between trails but id prefere to be in the woods.

I cant remember what the hawks engine weight is but the big honda wasn't much more.

The engine is much taller and has more weight up top with the cam and 4 valve head. Additionally it was not mounted any lower than the original so there is more weight higher in the frame, think higher gravity center thats where you notice the difference.

So yes more tendancy to tip, caught me off guard a few times but I'm getting used to it quickly. I'd say the powerband is more likely to get me in trouble.

I got that tacho adapt from rae-san electronics Today so ill update the Post after in get that installed.