Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #1

Taotao Hellcat

Hello,

I was thinking about getting one of these. An upgrade from the ATM 1 50 I picked up in April.

I read around a bit and wondered which bolts should be replaced and lock tit-ed, and the 2018 the speedo is Km/h only?

I couldn't find much information about adding more displacement. Are there any BBKs like for the scooters?

Do you think the on-line prices with free shipping will go down during the winter?

Besides the speedo is there any significant differences between the 2017 and 2018 and is it really $100 for the rear fender 'delete' mod?

Thanks. I am very excited.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot newb View Post
Hello,

I was thinking about getting one of these. An upgrade from the ATM 1 50 I picked up in April.

I read around a bit and wondered which bolts should be replaced and lock tit-ed, and the 2018 the speedo is Km/h only?

I couldn't find much information about adding more displacement. Are there any BBKs like for the scooters?

Do you think the on-line prices with free shipping will go down during the winter?

Besides the speedo is there any significant differences between the 2017 and 2018 and is it really $100 for the rear fender 'delete' mod?

Thanks. I am very excited.

Welcome!

Hope you get one, love mine. Do wish it was a little faster but its a one 125cc excepted
I'm not sure if there is big bore for these but you could always easy swap the engine to say a 140cc or what i will do is a ZS190

"I read around a bit and wondered which bolts should be replaced and lock tit-ed, and the 2018 the speedo is Km/h only?"

I don't know if all the 18' are like that.

"Besides the speedo is there any significant differences between the 2017 and 2018"

No

"$100 for the rear fender 'delete' mod?:"

I got a good one for 65$ bolted right up.

Basic first mod you should do.

bolts
exhaust pipe
carb/jets
17t

Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 PM   #3

"Hope you get one, love mine. Do wish it was a little faster but its a one 125cc excepted
I'm not sure if there is big bore for these but you could always easy swap the engine to say a 140cc or what i will do is a ZS190"

Do you recall the top speed stock?

Do these motors bolt right in? I wanted to put a 150 into the ATM-1 50 but the mounts on the 150cc motors were top mount.

Any particular carb and pipe? Which size jets do you recommend after replacing the exhaust? Do you also remove the air box after replacing the carb?

Thanks.

PS I have one in the cart. I am so close....

Old 09-11-2018, 12:06 AM   #4

Do you recall the top speed stock?

Don't remember only had it stock for a week. maybe around 47mph

Do these motors bolt right in? I wanted to put a 150 into the ATM-1 50 but the mounts on the 150cc motors were top mount.

These are different motors then scooter. Horizontal mounted engines.

Any particular carb and pipe? Which size jets do you recommend after replacing the exhaust? Do you also remove the air box after replacing the carb?

carb vm22/jets 95-120 range.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A dax or Z50 pipe.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Exha...AAAOxyQj9RSTzL

"also remove the air box after replacing the carb?"

All that crap

Thanks.

PS I have one in the cart. I am so close....[/QUOTE]

Do it. but be prepared to work on it for the best out come.
Heres my thread with other info.
http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20961

Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 PM   #5

I did it! I was speaking with Jeff from FamilyGoKarts on the phone about warranty coverage and what would happen if say like the bottom end of the engine was damaged etc etc... He was nice enough to take the order over the phone. I got a white one. I hope I do not get a lemon.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
I did it! I was speaking with Jeff from FamilyGoKarts on the phone about warranty coverage and what would happen if say like the bottom end of the engine was damaged etc etc... He was nice enough to take the order over the phone. I got a white one. I hope I do not get a lemon.
You should ask them about the cluster if you can set it to MPH. been some issue with the 2018s not setting. But you shouldn't get a lemon. Just take your time going over it, and ask questions if your not sure before.

Love mine.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 PM   #7

I did. Jeff said he didn't know anything about it not working and hadn't had any customers complain about it.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #8

Quote:
I did. Jeff said he didn't know anything about it not working and hadn't had any customers complain about it.
They are aware, as I have notified them. I assume they didn’t see it as a complaint?? According to what I was told by their customer service rep via email response, “TaoTao is aware the speedo will not change over on the 2018’s from KPH to MPH and are looking into it”. Seems to be universal with the 2018 Hellcats thus far. I’m not holding my breath they plan to offer a fix either, but we shall see. I believe to be selling these in the US they need to have the option for MPH.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromehead22 View Post
I believe to be selling these in the US they need to have the option for MPH.
I am fairly certain it is not an option, but rather mandatory. Someone needs to contact DOT in Washington to get the ball rolling. I doubt Taotao or any other company selling low-cost motorbikes will voluntarily fix a problem without prodding from a higher power.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-25-2018, 01:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I am fairly certain it is not an option, but rather mandatory. Someone needs to contact DOT in Washington to get the ball rolling. I doubt Taotao or any other company selling low-cost motorbikes will voluntarily fix a problem without prodding from a higher power.
I would say no to that, A higher power just might stop importing altogether.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
I would say no to that, A higher power just might stop importing altogether.
Yeah for sure we don't want that............… I am just curious if it is perhaps a dipswitch setting internally on the cluster or such since it will display the MPH in the start up sequence. Would be nice if they explored that to see if it was simple fix they could let the '18 owners know about.

BTW, love following your bike progress posts.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #12

Tons of options for these bikes. They're pretty much just pit bikes but made to look like a Honda Grom.

There are BBKs available, but for the price, you can just swap the engine.

Pretty much any pit bike engine will fit (horizontal). The engine designs are all based on the Honda CRF50 dimension.

If you go for an engine swap...

GPX, Daytona, Zongshen, Piranha, etc. all make/rebrand engines.

There's...

140cc semi-auto with electric start, 4 speed.
150cc manual with electric start, 4 speed.
190cc manual with electric start, 5 speed.
212cc manual with electric start, 5 speed. (will have to buy from specific people). Available in 2 valve and 4 valve heads.

etc. etc.