Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2018, 12:43 AM   #16

Make sure your state needs inspection, here in ct we dont need inspection for newer bikes, since the bikes come as 2018 it doesnt need inspection, at least it says on the dmv site. I havent registered mines, i ride without plates so im not really sure how that works

Old 09-16-2018, 12:52 AM   #17

Here it needs inspection according to the DMV site. I also currently ride without a plate. Just a moped sticker.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot newb View Post
True.

Time to fess up.

I canceled the order early this morning. I am going to wait until I can get one AND the zs190 motor.

I was literally up all night watching videos on Grom clones, reading different forum threads and getting stoked... I had a real Mikuni, a spinner and the 17t sprocket in various online carts. Then I stumbled on to the Bang Bang Scooter Gang videos and for whatever reason, after watching a few of those videos I didn't want a Grom clone anymore.
You watched there videos now you don't want to get its? why?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #19

BangBangScooterGang are okay but they really are kinda squiddy sometimes, I much prefer Fooligans Grom Videos, Blockheads Grom Vids, and PhotoGromers. Gromiebear is also okay altho he tends to just ride a bit much and stunt too little for my tastes.

Bizmoto has Grom clone Vids and a Zs190 swapped Vader as well , AttentionDeficit also is another good Grom stunt YouTuber . The Zs190 is an awesome swap but it

could be a little hairy to start out with that I think ,these bikes are small and handle differently than full size bikes so some experience riding the stock one might be advisable but thats just my opinion.That said i have the Zs190 swap on my radar for the future, hopefully this Spring or Summer .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 09-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #20

Just something to think about....

I saw that there will be more tariffs coming soon. If it goes like they say, add 25% to the cost. Which comes out to $275-$325. In Chinese mod parts,that’s a lot of cool bling! Like RedCrowRides said, starting out on a ZS 190 might be a little hairy! AND also like RedCrowRides, I have a ZS190 on the wishlist!

I know what you’re thinking! Why doesn’t RedCrowRides make videos!!! That would be AWESOME!

Enjoy the Ride!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 09-16-2018, 06:34 PM   #21

RedCrowrides has a GoPro Hero3 , old and out of date but it works.Or, at least it would if RedCrowRides would read the book, and then figure out how to upload to YouTube, lol.

Seriously, I finally got my mic adapter and mic in, and got mounts centered up on all 3 of my helmets so "hopefully" I can make some Videos soon .On a side note, I don't know why the fork brace won't fit for you guys if you ordered off my link, it fits mine perfectly I didn't have any trouble at all ., as my pictures here on this site show .I don't have any dial calipers but i'll see about getting a pair .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #22

Since most parts made for a Grom fit on the Hellcat and Redcrow was able to fit it on his Vader, I just assumed the fork brace would fit the Hellcat.....Wrong! The Hellcat fork tubes are about 43mm dia.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
You watched there videos now you don't want to get its? why?
Those videos to me, made it look like a complete POS. I am not saying it is, and I am not saying there is anything wrong with their videos. It is just the way it came across to me.

With that being said, I am so done with tweaking this BBK-ed scooter I may place an order again.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:57 PM   #24

May just be how they modified theirs. Haven't watched any of their videos.

Try some Grom moto vloggers. The grom plastics all swap. Most body parts will swap.

The big difference between a Grom and grom clone is that the engine is mounted with 3 bolts for the Grom (and SSR Razkull) and for the Grom clones... it's 2 bolts following the CRF50 engine mounting style.

The exhaust port on the grom clones are at an angle (see Honda Dax) which is the CRF50 style engine head. As such, that's why for the exhausts, people use the Honda Dax/Monkey/z50/etc. style exhaust.

Then the last thing being that the clones are carbed and the Grom is EFI. There are EFI kits available that a couple of people have installed on their bikes. Kits are pretty cheap and the handful of people that have installed it said it was pretty simple and that the "ECU" auto-tunes.

That being said... I believe the Venom 1st gen grom clone is the same bike as the Boom Vader. When you register it, it will be listed as Baodaio (or however it is spelled).

The Hellcat is made by Taotao. Different company, but still a clone.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #25

Heard a few Grom loyalist now wanting clones for the ease of the zs190 swap.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:03 PM   #26

i heard that too. The z190 swap would be the only mod I do... perhaps exhaust too.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #27

Ya i'm glad i got one, so cheap for a bike that you can mod and just have fun with, and not worry about messing it up. I'm thinking about doing the swap next year. Then you thinking about the getting a Grom and keeping it stock.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:03 AM   #28

Kronik Racing in Simi Valley, Calif. is a good source for parts for the ZS190 swap. I have spoken to the owner several times, and he is a straight up guy. Apparently, they are the largest Baodiao/Boom dealer in the country, but not necessarily mail-order meaning many locals are buying the Baodiaos to mess with, probably as guilt-free project bikes. Even a $3XXX Grom would be best left alone for resale purposes, IMO, while beating up a clone. He has his opinions on the Hellcat being inferior to the Baodiao bikes, which is why he doesn't carry them, but I would still buy a Hellcat over a Baodiao. He said they will also carry the Lifan KPmini 150, or at least he said that a few months ago, but I don't think they have updated their site to reflect this. When they carried the full-size SSR XF250, member dh bought his there and had a good purchasing experience, approximately 2 or more years ago.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
Then you thinking about the getting a Grom and keeping it stock.
Definitely not thinking about a Grom but I have reconsidered ordering the Hellcat and a Z190 motor.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #30

I'm a big fan of the Icebear Fuerza. When I was doing research on it, they had really good success with the Icebear Maddog (honda ruckus clone and ruckus clone with a 150cc).

This was from what I saw the most popular ruckus clone.

From there, when looking at dealerships... it seemed like Icebear had a lot more than the others. That's why I went with the Icebear. Plus, the dealership I bought it from included a Mikuni VM22 and bigger front sprocket with the purchase.

The only thing different is the headlight on the Icebear. To swap to the grom headlight, you just need the bracket for the headlight and speedo. Saw these go for $15 on eBay the other day. But I like the "dirtbike" style headlight with integrated turn signals so I don't plan on swapping it. :P