Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Fires up, won't stay running.

Hello all,

I just built my Hawk last night. I took today to change fluids (fresh oil, fork oil, brake fluid) and heat wrap the exhaust and finally to change the front and rear sprockets.

I went to fire it up for the first time and it fired right up!! Then it cut off. I can start it with the choke on all three settings, but it won't stay running...it just cuts off after 5 or 10 seconds.

I have adjusted the idle screw counterclockwise a few times, but same results...

What is my next step?

Old 10-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #2

How much gas in the tank?
Is the petcock tail end up ?

Fuel line kink free?

I know these are basically dumb questions but it's the small details.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
How much gas in the tank?
Is the petcock tail end up ?

Fuel line kink free?

I know these are basically dumb questions but it's the small details.
1/2 tank of gas...petcock is on...fuel line has no kinks, it's a smooth "s-curve" from the petcock to the carb.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:19 PM   #4

There's a fuel drain screw at the very very bottom of the carb crack it about 2 turns and catch the fuel draining out, it should have good uninterrupted flow.

Not spurts. Flow, spert.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
There's a fuel drain screw at the very very bottom of the carb crack it about 2 turns and catch the fuel draining out, it should have good uninterrupted flow.

Not spurts. Flow, spert.
Yep, turned that too. I let the fuel drain so that I could remove the carb. I was going to replace it, but decided to run stock for a while before I make changes. Fuel drained nice and smooth until it dribbled to a stop. Tightened the screw and reconnected the carb to get to the point described in my OP.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #6

I'd pull the plug and see if it's wet or dry?
If it's wet it's fouled out. But it's a long shot.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #7

Quote:
I'd pull the plug and see if it's wet or dry?
If it's wet it's fouled out. But it's a long shot.
I put a brand new NGK plug in today. I'll have to check to see if it's wet...otherwise (if it's dry), anything else I can do? I mean, it starts, right away, first push of the button...

Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Turn the idle screw clockwise to raise the idle speed.
OOOHHHHHHH!!!! Clockwise!!!! I've been turning it counterclockwise!!!

Old 10-13-2018, 09:56 PM   #9

That might be it

Old 10-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Did that fix your problem? When it is cold I have to turn mine a couple turns higher to get it going then back it off after a couple of minutes.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk19 View Post
Yep, turned that too. I let the fuel drain so that I could remove the carb. I was going to replace it, but decided to run stock for a while before I make changes. Fuel drained nice and smooth until it dribbled to a stop. Tightened the screw and reconnected the carb to get to the point described in my OP.
If your tank is half full, this is your issue... check your petcock... the way your float works, you should have a constant drain of fuel until the tank runs dry.... you either have a sticking float, or a shoddy petcock... your bike runs fine for a bit because ths bowl fills up, but then you run the fuel in the bowl out and its not filling back up fast enough to keep running...

Old 10-14-2018, 08:17 PM   #12

Fixed...thanks guys. The fuel tank was still half empty, but once I turned the idle adjust clockwise, it stayed running at a high RPM. I let it run for about 5 minutes, then I shut it off and adjusted the idle back down slightly. I was then able to start it with no choke and it ran beautifully. I took it for a ride and came home, filled the fuel tank and took it for 3 more laps around my neighborhood with zero issues!

Old 10-14-2018, 08:40 PM   #13

Great to know, thank you for this information.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #14

Glad to hear it. Sounds like something I would do.

Ran the battery down once trying to start my hawk. forgot to flip the switch on the handle bar............

Old 10-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawk19 View Post
Fixed...thanks guys. The fuel tank was still half empty, but once I turned the idle adjust clockwise, it stayed running at a high RPM. I let it run for about 5 minutes, then I shut it off and adjusted the idle back down slightly. I was then able to start it with no choke and it ran beautifully. I took it for a ride and came home, filled the fuel tank and took it for 3 more laps around my neighborhood with zero issues!
you can adjust it with it running too
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250