Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #1

Colorado Riders With 230cc Dual Sports?

I'm thinking about taking a trip to Colorado and hauling my CSC TT250 down there. I'd like to ride the TT250 from the Rockies to Moab Ut. Mostly off road, country back roads. Lots of camping. Lots of breaks to protect it from over heating. Maybe ride it over a two week period.

I took the bike to the Adirondacks in NY and it did alright for the most part. But the Adirondacks aren't the Colorado Rockies.Any Colordao riders using 230cc chinese dual sports? Any thoughts? Can the bikes handle the rough terrain and mountains of Colorado? I'd love to do this trip on a CSC or Bashan, but I'm just not sure the little engines can handle those steep mountain passes. Would love to hear any thoughts on the matter.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

I use our little Bashan 200 (197cc) all the time out here on the Mountains... have gotten up and down every mountain range and 4x4 "Jeep Rated" trail I have pointed the front tire at... up past 12 or 13,000 feet even...

On one memorable trip we had 3 new riders with only a couple months of riding time, and NO off road time... guess who forgot and led them straight to some "Expert rated 4x4 trails"... that's right... THIS GUY did!

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/states/CO

Our Bashan has cheapo suspension parts and 17 inch street biased tires front and rear... haven't bothered to order an oil cooler yet, but my Trail Tech Vapor digital dash lets me keep an eye on engine temps

Will have to go digging to find all the pics/posts of the several "CO China Bike rides"... but a while back several CO forum members got together and did over a 245 mile ride in one day... doing more "sight seeing" and lighter mountain/4x4 trails on this particular trip, and all but 2 people showed up on a little "Chinese Bike".

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17278

Our Bashan regularly has a 250 to 500 mile day starting on the interstate going 75+ mph going to the mountains, then a hard days work going up and down whatever trail I feel like messing with... only stopping to cool down for the rare picture, bathroom, and food breaks... I stay hydrated with a "Camel-Pack" so I rarely stop to let the bike "cool down"

Since joining this forum, several TT250's and RX3's have shown up for a long mountain/trail ride and they have all made it to the finish... sure we don't blast up the mountain like a 400cc 2 stroke off road racing bike can... but we have been known to pass several slower moving people riding on machines costing several times the amount of our cheap China Bikes

Don't worry, they can easily handle the fun in the Colorado Sun , although you might lose or break some plastic parts along the way (so far the group has only lost a cap for a TT250 muffler and a few plastic rear license plate fenders broke )

* High altitude warning... re-jetting of the carb for high altitude is usually recommended... also a good idea to up your water intake... usually drink 2x or more the amount of water you are used to having... helps with the "dizziness/headaches/altitude sickness" a lot of newcomers get

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #3

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I use our little Bashan 200 (197cc) all the time out here on the Mountains... have gotten up and down every mountain range and 4x4 "Jeep Rated" trail I have pointed the front tire at... up past 12 or 13,000 feet even...

On one memorable trip we had 3 new riders with only a couple months of riding time, and NO off road time... guess who forgot and led them straight to some "Expert rated 4x4 trails"... that's right... THIS GUY did!

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/states/CO

Our Bashan has cheapo suspension parts and 17 inch street biased tires front and rear... haven't bothered to order an oil cooler yet, but my Trail Tech Vapor digital dash lets me keep an eye on engine temps

Will have to go digging to find all the pics/posts of the several "CO China Bike rides"... but a while back several CO forum members got together and did over a 245 mile ride in one day... doing more "sight seeing" and lighter mountain/4x4 trails on this particular trip, and all but 2 people showed up on a little "Chinese Bike".

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17278

Our Bashan regularly has a 250 to 500 mile day starting on the interstate going 75+ mph going to the mountains, then a hard days work going up and down whatever trail I feel like messing with... only stopping to cool down for the rare picture, bathroom, and food breaks... I stay hydrated with a "Camel-Pack" so I rarely stop to let the bike "cool down"

Since joining this forum, several TT250's and RX3's have shown up for a long mountain/trail ride and they have all made it to the finish... sure we don't blast up the mountain like a 400cc 2 stroke off road racing bike can... but we have been known to pass several slower moving people riding on machines costing several times the amount of our cheap China Bikes

Don't worry, they can easily handle the fun in the Colorado Sun , although you might lose or break some plastic parts along the way (so far the group has only lost a cap for a TT250 muffler and a few plastic rear license plate fenders broke )

* High altitude warning... re-jetting of the carb for high altitude is usually recommended... also a good idea to up your water intake... usually drink 2x or more the amount of water you are used to having... helps with the "dizziness/headaches/altitude sickness" a lot of newcomers get
Thanks for the tips! I was wondering about re-jetting the carbs too. This is really great news. That link to trailsoffroad is really helpful too. I'm seriously considering this now!