Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2019, 10:41 PM   #1

It all started with the Hawk

I am not mechanically inclined.....

Not really bike related but inspired.

When I got the hawk I could change oil.....and that is about it. Since then my mechanical confidence has increased exponentially. It started with the ebay exhaust install, tuning the stock carb, adjusting the valves.

Not too long ago I installed a quickshifter, full exhaust, IAS block offs and more on my big bike.

Today I decided I could change my intercooler on my 18' focus ST. Biggest project I have ever taken on. Took 8 hours, mostly tedious work removing bolts and clips to get the bumper cover off, then reinstalling it all. I realized I forgot the bumper support so I got to take it all apart again and redo it! I used a Focus RS intercooler which is NOT plug and play. I had to modify parts and make support brackets. Yeah I am proud of my old ass!

Anyway, it all started with my hawk 250 and you guys. Thanks so much to you guys who have done DIYs and such. I would have never tried it without it.

Here is a pic of my basically new car with no front end. (Full disclosure I did panic 4-5 times but it started and ran like a champ) Only had 2 screws left over and I think they are accounted for with the removal of the shutters.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190526_142108.jpg (92.4 KB, 83 views)

Old 05-27-2019, 12:43 AM   #2

My mechanical adventure started at the age of 12. I bought a used up old lawn mower for 5 bucks at a yard sale and proudly wheeled it home. With the help of a book from the public library I spent 5 weeks replacing the rings, rebuilding the carb, putting a new blade on it, and replaced the ignition coil. From that experience I learned that I love to fix things, and with that mower I earned enough money from 3 summers of mowing to buy my first car... that I spent 8 months getting to run and drive lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

Ya gotta start somewhere.

As a 5 year old with a screwdriver, I was a Westclox alarm clocks’ worst nightmare.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #4

Mine was similar to Cheesy, with a screwdriver but under the kitchen table. Removed the leg attachment screws. Didn't end well. Dad owned a motorcycle shop so it was second nature. When I was little I helped him in the shop for 25 cents per day. Now at age 65 I've never taken a vehicle to a repair shop for anything except body and paint work and once when the computer failed on my Toyota pickup. The Toyota techs couldn't figure it out so I ended up fixing it myself.

Not everyone has the knowledge, tools, or a place to do their own repairs but it has saved me a bunch of money over the years.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:17 AM   #5

I started at about 5, as my dad owned a gas station, later a parts store and repair shop, later a school bus contract with 60 buses. Dam cornbinders as we called them, the Internationals had 345 and 392 engines. Learned to rebuild engines, Holley carbs, 5 speed trans, rear diffs. Change tires, chain up busses in the winters. I think I was 12 yo. That developed into 3 auto parts stores, a warehouse distributing co., muffler and radiator shop. I was lucky I had the experience. My dad had an old polaroid camera, I took pictures of engine disassembly so I could remember how to reassemble. However over the years a lot of that faded, and years ago the last engine I completely rebuilt was a ntc335 cummins. 58 years later, I still have the original socket set my dad gave me, less the ratchet that worn out, in the original metal box. I was blessed and thankful today.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 05-28-2019, 10:45 AM   #6

It starts slow., small....then you become addicted to tool shopping. Next thing you know, you're hiding in the bathroom with a Harbor Freight catalog. You wife will find shreds of cheap colored paper in front of the toilet from cutting out Super Coupons with nail clippers because you couldn't sneak the scissors into the bathroom without being busted.
There are support groups...

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-28-2019, 07:51 PM   #7

Thanks for sharing guys. I wish I had started younger. No time like the present.

2LZ I am accumulating quite the tool collection. I tell you a dremel is one of my fav tools!

Old 05-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

Similar to Megadan, dad gave me a broken lawn mower, helped me fix it, and I mowed lawns and made money. 6/7th grade... and I was hooked. First motorbike was 8th grade, put bad oil in it, messed up the gears and dad said rebuild the gearbox. Away I went! Love mechanics. Worked for years as a mechanic and fleet mechanic at a private school and even did a stint in a motorcycle repair shop. To this day, even tho I teach other subjects I’m doing a small engine repair elective 7th period every day. Today the 12 kids’ engines are back together and so far 7 of them have started. A few, not so much. Hahhaa! We shall see what they did next week...
1975 Corvette
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 06-01-2019, 01:15 AM   #9

OK 2lz.....THE SKETCHY HD trans jack I have, was just recently replaced by a cycle lift, been waiting for a 25% off coupon and the date. 20% isn't attractive enough.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".