Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #16

I grabbed a new chain from local shop. 428/ 130 link Renthal. (Stoopid expensive). I set this one a bit looser where I can barely get 3 fingers (1-1/4” upward travel free play) between the chain and middle of swing arm while on the side stand and that leaves me roughly 3/4-7/8” free play with my weight on the bike.

I took about a 15 mile road ride this morning at varying speeds and so far, so good. I’m still scared of the bike and that will take time to overcome. I just can’t imagine what I could have done wrong with the last chain.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #17

Maybe the chain was faulty, it wasn't the motorcycle fault.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2jmpr View Post
I grabbed a new chain from local shop. 428/ 130 link Renthal. (Stoopid expensive). I set this one a bit looser where I can barely get 3 fingers (1-1/4” upward travel free play) between the chain and middle of swing arm while on the side stand and that leaves me roughly 3/4-7/8” free play with my weight on the bike.

I took about a 15 mile road ride this morning at varying speeds and so far, so good. I’m still scared of the bike and that will take time to overcome. I just can’t imagine what I could have done wrong with the last chain.
You will get your confidence back with it. Just make sure to work in some itme to check over the bike before each ride. I treat these bikes a lot like an old Harley or British twin and periodically (usually every few hundred miles or oil change) I will check the more critical bolts like the brake calipers, controls fasteners (brake pedal, levers, shifter, motor mounts) to make sure they haven't loosened up. Since it only really takes a 10 and/or 12mm to do this the tool requirements are minimal. Harley calls these "Critical Fastener Checks" in their service schedule.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
That was frustration speaking. You're right buddy, I should have waited a while before posting but doing so right away made me feel better about the situation.
Vent away but keep your wits about...

In my experience... bad things like this usually happen with the power of 3's (unwritten law of the universe is "Three Fold"!)... you and your guardian angel dodged it twice so far, soooo you might have one more "close call" coming your way

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:34 PM   #20

I hear ya. The chain is a component of the bike though. As a Chinarider, so is my knowledge and technical ability to maintain and operate it properly. I’m not blaming any of those factors more or less than the others, just documenting my experiences for others to read and comment on in case I’ve failed somewhere along the way. Lord knows I still have a lot to learn and I draw from the knowledge of others too.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #21

Your fault, the bikes fault, the chains fault....it doesn't matter now. You have it behind you and learned something. Crazy stuff happens. Consider your blessing of safety, be thankful and start rebuilding your trust in all 3 components again. It'll come back but might be slow.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-04-2019, 11:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl096 View Post
Your fault, the bikes fault, the chains fault....it doesn't matter now. You have it behind you and learned something. Crazy stuff happens. Consider your blessing of safety, be thankful and start rebuilding your trust in all 3 components again. It'll come back but might be slow.
THIS...... you learned from it, and you survived. i have had so many crashes on my mountain bike over the years.... one of which landed me a 6 day vacation to the local hospital to have my left arm reconstructed with 9 screws and a plate... several concussions too thru the years (with a properly fitted helmet mind you... only can do so much about smashing your head into a tree at 20mph down a hill with poor line choice...LOL) but it hasnt stopped me from riding...LOL i go over what happened right before the crash, try and figure out if i screwed up (ususally) or a part failed, and learn from it. it does get very frustrating in the moment though....

fun x ray pic of my hardware store arm...LOL

Old 06-04-2019, 11:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
THIS...... you learned from it
Well that's the kick in pants part isn't it? I didn't learn from it. Still don't know what could have possibly happened. Not to worry though. I put on my big boy pants this morning and gave it hell. Not purposefully trying to break anything, but I didn't hold anything back either and had no issues on about an hour long ride. I'll consider it forgotten.

I admire your persistence. That x-ray is amazing. Your arm must be indestructible now! I hope you recovered fully and can still ride as hard as you like to.

Last edited by o2jmpr; 06-04-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: addendum

Old 06-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Well that's the kick in pants part isn't it? I didn't learn from it. Still don't know what could have possibly happened. Not to worry though. I put on my big boy pants this morning and gave it hell. Not purposefully trying to break anything, but I didn't hold anything back either and had no issues on about an hour long ride. I'll consider it forgotten.

I admire your persistence. That x-ray is amazing. Your arm must be indestructible now! I hope you recovered fully and can still ride as hard as you like to.
ahh, but you did learn from it... you learned not to give up even when frustrated with the darn thing....LOL

as for the persistence....LOL some would call it stupidity....hehe some would call it (by definition) insanity, you know... doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.... LOL as for recovery, it will be 16 years ago this summer, and i have 99% of the motion (extension and flexion of the elbow) and about 95% of the strength... not bad for a break that was so bad the doc told me there was a 50/50 chance of being able to even use it at all...

Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Well that's the kick in pants part isn't it? I didn't learn from it.
I disagree. You learned how important inspecting your bike is. LOTS of people just hop on their bikes and ride day after day, month after month, and never take a couple of minutes to go over the thing and make sure it is safe. The margin for error on bikes when something fails is extremely thin. Wheel falls off a car, you might crash, but you are surrounded by a cage. Wheel falls off on a bike you WILL crash, and even the best gear money can buy will only mitigate injuries.

So, regardless of if you know why you crashed or not, you learned that taking just a little extra time to go over your bike can mean the difference between a good time and a very bad one.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #26

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just clarifying. There was no crash. I just coasted off to the shoulder and I did pretrip. That was the first ride on the new 128 link chain and I rode probably 10 miles before it shucked.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Well that's the kick in pants part isn't it? I didn't learn from it. .
au contraire.... You, we, learned, again, that weird shit happens.... And I'm glad you gave it hell already

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song