Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #16

Finally had some decent weather yesterday. Got to almost 70 degrees so we went from 3-6 inches of snow to 95% melted in one day. I got about 30 minutes of ride time in and these are my initial observations. The mid-range definitely needs some tuning. The low and high end seem to be fine, but from about 25%-50% power it's currently lagging. My Kickstarer was REALLY loose. The bolt was finger loose, but it was an easy fix to tighten it. That was the only bolt I found after going through the bike that was loose. The oil was like water when it came out so I replaced it with Rotella T4 15w-40 which seems to be commonly recommended around here.

Both front and rear wheels squeak which is rather annoying. I took the front wheel last night and greased everything and it seems to be better. I took the rear wheel apart and did the same, it seems to be better as well, but not as good as the front wheel. Hopefully it will work itself out once I get a chance to ride it. The chain guard was bent obviously from the factory. One of bolt holes doesn't line up with the mount on the frame, so they just screwed the bolt in at an angle and cross threaded the screw and bent the part in the process. That was a fairly easy fix as well.

The choke is still in a really stupid spot. You have to stick a single finger into a small space and lift it up/down with your finger tip. Doable, but a pain.

All in all, pretty piddily stuff. Still very happy with my purchase.

On a side note. Was teaching my boys to ride yesterday as well. One son had it down fairly quickly, the other was struggling. Kept popping the clutch. Finally told him to give it more gas as he slowly! let it out. He of course pops a wheelie and rides it across the front yard and dumps it after about 50 feet. Broke the clutch lever off so he was done without even getting it out of the yard. Handle should not have broken as we have a fairly soft sandy yard. Oh well. Have a new, better, set ordered off amazon which will be here Thursday. Haven't gone through the boys bike yet and after just 5 minutes I've found several loose bolts as well as lost one on the muffler guard so definatly need to go through those two bikes still.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #17

Glad to hear things are going well! I hope your one boy gets the hang of it....
Regarding the lack of mid-range, odds are as it breaks in it will improve. These motors are so tight, out of box.
Also, see if you can get a bigger pilot jet. Is it a PZ30 type carb?

I know. The TT250 is the same way on the choke. You have to be a proctologist to access it.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #18

If you get a chance post some pix of the bikes and the smile on your boys!!!! As is stated I almost bought the Orion bike for my wife, but didn't know if I could lower it to fit her, nice looking bike!!!! Orion said they only had 10 left in stock and will run out before the next boat load arrives in June. When our son was younger, he became a serious motorhead, and probably a better welder than I. He would skip school, just to be in our shop working on his pickup or any other project. Everything had to have stacks on it!!! LOL! Glad your boys are involved!!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 05-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
The mid-range definitely needs some tuning. The low and high end seem to be fine, but from about 25%-50% power it's currently lagging.
Do you believe this is a jetting issue? High-end power indicates it is not an airflow or back-pressure problem, so what you're saying seems like a fueling problem...unless there is a serious cam or ignition advance problem.

Given your complaint about the choke positioning as well, do you believe both fueling and choke access is enough to justify a carburetor change?

Old 05-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #20

Unfortunately the weather here had been marginal at best since I last rode it so I haven't a chance to do anything with it yet. I belong to an ATV club and I plan to take the bike on a ride with them this coming weekend. Hopefully I'll have more to say after that.

On a side note, I picked up a 1982 Honda xr200r really cheap a little over a week ago. It had been sitting in a barn for well over a decade and picked up by another guy who planned to get it running. I got it and was going to fiddle around and get it running but instead decided to strip it down, get it repainted, new plastic etc, then rebuild shocks etc. My youngest son is going to to help me with the project. So far the bike is completely stripped down and sitting in a large tote. Since I've never done anything like this before, reassembly is going to be fun!

Old 05-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
Unfortunately the weather here had been marginal at best since I last rode it so I haven't a chance to do anything with it yet. I belong to an ATV club and I plan to take the bike on a ride with them this coming weekend. Hopefully I'll have more to say after that.

On a side note, I picked up a 1982 Honda xr200r really cheap a little over a week ago. It had been sitting in a barn for well over a decade and picked up by another guy who planned to get it running. I got it and was going to fiddle around and get it running but instead decided to strip it down, get it repainted, new plastic etc, then rebuild shocks etc. My youngest son is going to to help me with the project. So far the bike is completely stripped down and sitting in a large tote. Since I've never done anything like this before, reassembly is going to be fun!
Sweet! That will give him a chance to learn about the bike. My first bike was a 73 or 74 Honda CB 200 that was given too me with the engine in pieces in a box. I had to put it back together. All that was wrong with it was the shifter mechanism was broke. I headed over to the local Honda shop, slapped it on the counter and said I need one of these, gaskets and a service manual for a Honda CB 200. Walked out of there for under $20. I spent the Saturday putting it back together. I put gas and oil in it and it fired right up. I had to adjust the carburetor but got it running smooth. I rode that thing for 4 years and ended up selling it back to the guy that gave it to me for $500.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #22

Quote:
The mid-range definitely needs some tuning. The low and high end seem to be fine, but from about 25%-50% power it's currently lagging.
If the bike feels like it turns off when you stab it then the needle clip may need to be lower a notch or a small washer installed to raise the needle.

If the bike feels like it is bucking or surging you could try to to go up one notch on the needle clip which will lower the needle. Not sure how else to lower the needle if you do not have multiple e clip slots.

hope this helps

Douglass

Old 05-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #23

Okay...getting excited about this as my "dad-bike" option. I'm now to the point of thinking about body/plastics/graphics support.

The chassis and plastic looks like that used by SSR on the 150 and 189, which I'm pretty sure is a clone of the 2016 KTM 85sx. However, those are mini or "big-wheel mini" scaled. This looks more like a full-size bike from the pics...at least i regards to the front fender and such.

Does the bodywork/seat look & feel like a "mini with full-size wheels", or does this look/feel more like KTM's older 125 bodywork?

Really looking forward to hearing more of your riding/ownership feedback.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #24

Please forgive all my questions, but I just sold one bike and am really considering pulling the trigger on one of these in the next 24 hours.

I'm concerned about re-springing or suspension sag. I'm a heavy guy...225 before gear. Given your riding experience, will I be blowing through the fork and shock travel before I even get on the trail? What weight range would you say the bike is sprung for?

Old 06-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #25

Sorry for lack of updates/replies. Two weeks ago in the course of 12 hours I was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer and had a baseball sized tumor removed, and suffered from traumatic blood loss (11 units of blood replaced during surgery). Totally out of the blue. Needless to say it's put a kibosh on my riding for this spring/early summer.

Good news is prognosis looks good and I hope to be riding again by July. Sure made for a crappy past two weeks though.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #26

Sorry to hear. Hope for a fast recovery.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #27

Health first...we're pulling for you.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #28

hope you're doing ok man - mine came today!

Old 08-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #29

Hope your doing well griz! We haven't heard from you, hope your ok, and recovering.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".