Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #1

I'm too short! TT250 is too tall?

Is there a lowing link kit for the rear tire that works on the TT250? Can the forks be loosened from the clamps on at the handlebars and slid up to lower the front end as well?

The Story:

I finally walk into the dealership in Azuza yesterday to get a quote on a new TT250. About $2900 and some change in Los Angeles county. Very doable as that covers all dealership fees, tax and registration at the DMV.

Anyway, I go to sit on this beauty and I can't touch the floor. I can tippy-toe it on the right side, but I don't have any toes on my left foot or an ankle to bend down so my fake foot hung off the bike a bout 2 in from the floor. I am only 5'8" with a 30" inseam.

I can tell you that the 2 employees at the dealership were not very helpful and I was a little disappointed in the customer service. The one guy tried to get me to like the RX3 and the SG250, which are both pretty cool but not what I'm looking for. Same guy shows me a seat that was at least an inch lower, maybe more, but he wouldn't take the time to install it real quick and let me try it. % minutes tops to do this quick job. Neither one of the employee's were able to direct me to a lowering link and adjustment I could make to lower the bike.

I guess they sell so many bikes they just didn't care to put in the effort to help me and close the deal. Huge RED FLAG!

Is there a lowing link kit for the rear tire that works on the TT250? Can the forks be loosened from the clamps on at the handlebars and slid up to lower the front end as well?

Old 09-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #2

Hi Pete. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have visited CSC several times and yes some of the employees could be a little more knowledgeable. I too am in the short leg department. I'm 5'6"(1.67m) with 28" (711mm) inseam. I am unaware of any lowering links for the TT250. You can slide the front tubes up about an 1". CSC also sells a seat from "Seat Concepts". The seat is about 2.25" (57mm) lower. I bought the seat soon after I got my TT. The advertised price is $249.00. I paid less than $200. Not sure why they are so much now. Maybe they gained in popularity. Not sure how close you are to Fontana but your welcome to sit on my TT before you purchase.

Old 09-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #3

I believe Pete is in Lancaster 'up the hill' a ways, but it would be worth the time as an investment to sit on yours. I started off on a DR 250s when I lived in the L.A. area back in 1990, so even with my short 5'7" height, I ended up getting used to it, and most subsequent dual sports and dirtbikes over the years after. I will say, the one Chinese bike that felt kind of awkward sitting on (I never did get to ride one) was when United Motors relabled Skyteam's dual-sport and 'motard' as their own. We had a dealer in Yuma, and I would tease myself sitting on both Skyteam bikes. I always lusted after the motard-style bike, even if it felt awkward due to its height. I figured I would get used to it, lol.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

2lz had an extra seat. You might PM him and ask. All us short people have a problem. When I was going to buy 2lz csc, he lowered it a bit, and would have fit me, but I don't remember what all he did.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #5

Hawk and TT250 are direct swing arm mounted rear shocks, no linkages.

The ideal method would be the lower seat. It is made by an aftermarket company and will likely be worlds more comfortable than the stock seat and tougher. If that isn't enough then your only recourse is a.shorter rear shock. The rough figure is a 2.5 inch drop for every inch shorter on the shock.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-22-2019, 10:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
Hi Pete. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have visited CSC several times and yes some of the employees could be a little more knowledgeable. I too am in the short leg department. I'm 5'6"(1.67m) with 28" (711mm) inseam. I am unaware of any lowering links for the TT250. You can slide the front tubes up about an 1". CSC also sells a seat from "Seat Concepts". The seat is about 2.25" (57mm) lower. I bought the seat soon after I got my TT. The advertised price is $249.00. I paid less than $200. Not sure why they are so much now. Maybe they gained in popularity. Not sure how close you are to Fontana but your welcome to sit on my TT before you purchase.
Thank you, I may just take you up on that. Great bunch of friendly people here. I'm about 90 minutes from you down the 138 to the 15. I do believe only people from Cali judge distance in time rasther than miles. I could be wrong though... hahahaha

Old 09-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Hawk and TT250 are direct swing arm mounted rear shocks, no linkages.

The ideal method would be the lower seat. It is made by an aftermarket company and will likely be worlds more comfortable than the stock seat and tougher. If that isn't enough then your only recourse is a.shorter rear shock. The rough figure is a 2.5 inch drop for every inch shorter on the shock.
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #8

Speaking from experience you will not "get used to" a bike being too tall with an artificial leg. You need to be able to put both feet firmly on the ground. Get a rear shock that is 30 to 40mm shorter eye to eye and drop the forks an additional inch in the triple tree. And as short as you are you might still need the shaved seat. I'm 6'2" and had to drop the rear 3" just to swing my leg over it.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #9

Pete,
you can check out my thread on the BMS, where we lowered and cut the seat ourselves. northrider ….check out their post where they cut the seat also, and lowered the front forks a bit. And we did the same. I think 2lz told me when you order seat from seat concepts, you only get the foam, and maybe the cover. Onelegged duded advised me on the shock, and megadan posted a spacer source instead of using washers as shims.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-25-2019, 12:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Speaking from experience you will not "get used to" a bike being too tall with an artificial leg. You need to be able to put both feet firmly on the ground. Get a rear shock that is 30 to 40mm shorter eye to eye and drop the forks an additional inch in the triple tree. And as short as you are you might still need the shaved seat. I'm 6'2" and had to drop the rear 3" just to swing my leg over it.
That’s good advice. Yeah, I don’t want to ever feel uncomfortable and out of control because of something I could of avoided in the first place... kinda like an xwife. Thanks man, I am exploring other options.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:03 AM   #11

the only way is a shorter shock... is really the only way with out a linkage..
Put internal spacers around the damping rods to stop the forks
fully exstending and shorten the springs...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 09-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #12

Depending on who you take it to, shaving the seat foam down might be cheaper than the $249 lower seat. I had that done on my KLR 650, and the upholstery guy also put a gel pad on top to make up for the foam removed.

I'm going to reupholster my seat just because the factory fabric is starting to tear and look bad. The bike only had 140 miles on it when I got it, but the previous owner had kept it out in the weather which didn't help the seat fabric.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Depending on who you take it to, shaving the seat foam down might be cheaper than the $249 lower seat. I had that done on my KLR 650, and the upholstery guy also put a gel pad on top to make up for the foam removed.

I'm going to reupholster my seat just because the factory fabric is starting to tear and look bad. The bike only had 140 miles on it when I got it, but the previous owner had kept it out in the weather which didn't help the seat fabric.
Yessir, my guy here in Ohio charges me $80 to $100 a seat and does an amazing job.