Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2019, 08:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeus685 View Post
Take down was a bit different than expected. I found you need to remove forks from the triple clamps to enable one to grab ahold of the caps to remove.
Shush319 On the Honda Grom site 8/13/17. Explains his dilemma and what he found.
I have a BD125/10 and appears to be near identical to the Gen 2 and so can do his mod to gain some preload.
You see 1 shock in the normal position and the other has the approx. .5" threaded towards the cap. Hope this does it. I can't find my measuring cup.
Anny idea how much in each fork is needed?
That's good to know. I think you should find something to take up the now hollow space inside that cap though. Maybe it's overkill but better safe than sorry kind of thing.

https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-g...tml#post372554

Scroll down to post #4. The screenshot from Facebook. The person put a small steel rod in there so all the load isn't just sitting on the nut and threads. May not be a bad idea.

I have a Grom SF now... so I was planning on doing this and upgrading the fork oil.

As for your question on how much fork oil is needed... I'd recommend using a measuring cup and seeing how much you take out. I have no idea.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
fork oil level

I have and old ice cream carton with the juice from one of the legs. Needed to purchase a measuring cup while in town today.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:38 PM   #33

Vader 125 10 front suspenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
The mod is basically some parts from a hardware store. The top of the idk what it is called sits inside the fork cap. What the mod is, is that it creates a spacer so that it adds more preload.

https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/49-...ds-better.html

This works only on the 1st gen Grom forks.

For the second gen Grom forks...

https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-g...orks-free.html

In the two links, you can see how they're different. I have no idea how the Grom Clone forks are (I never opened mine up).

Either way... I think swapping to the Grom forks like you did is the best option since it opens you up to the aftermarket fork internals.
Will be a week or so until I am on the road. Still in tearing down stage.
My Vader/10 front suspension is similar to the Gen2 Groms. Here a couple pix of the innards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191126_140921 (1).jpg (87.2 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg 20191126_141044.jpg (84.8 KB, 580 views)
File Type: jpg 20191126_140933.jpg (91.7 KB, 553 views)

Old 11-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #34

These are the Preload adjusters I used on my Gen 2 Vader they are from SSR , pretty sure they were about $99 . Together with a fork oil change to 15w they made them pretty decent .These are adjustable as far as preload, you can get a set of Takagawa preload adjusters for like 49$ from WeBike but they are a set " max" preload and are not adjustable .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 11-28-2019, 01:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
That's good to know. I think you should find something to take up the now hollow space inside that cap though. Maybe it's overkill but better safe than sorry kind of thing.

https://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-g...tml#post372554

Scroll down to post #4. The screenshot from Facebook. The person put a small steel rod in there so all the load isn't just sitting on the nut and threads. May not be a bad idea.

I have a Grom SF now... so I was planning on doing this and upgrading the fork oil.

As for your question on how much fork oil is needed... I'd recommend using a measuring cup and seeing how much you take out. I have no idea.

The scroll down to post #4 screen shot from Face book and the insert is for the $15.00 gen 1 Honda Grom front suspension upgrade
. I have a gen 2 Vader BD10 that I think is similar to the gen2 Grom..Picture of the bolt and washers 2, a spacer and small washer and rubber washer is for the gen 1 mods. the Gen 2 doesn't have that style cap. the right side with a rubber washer already in the cap ring and 2 large washers I hope will give the intended pre load. Or; 2 rubber washer, 1 large steel washer???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191128_103007.jpg (93.9 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg 20191128_103528.jpg (96.8 KB, 547 views)

Old 11-29-2019, 05:54 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
These are the Preload adjusters I used on my Gen 2 Vader they are from SSR , pretty sure they were about $99 . Together with a fork oil change to 15w they made them pretty decent .These are adjustable as far as preload, you can get a set of Takagawa preload adjusters for like 49$ from WeBike but they are a set " max" preload and are not adjustable .

I do have a pair of these laying around somewhere, I will probably go this route with the fork oil and springs, still looking for a 2015-2016 Grom upper/lower triple tree assy for cheap.
Protaper se x110 bars/grips
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
Grom Intergrated tail light
Superlite Sprockets 17/32
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Motodynamic fender eliminator
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Grom Calipers-w/ebc pads/rotors
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 12-02-2019, 08:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeus685 View Post
The scroll down to post #4 screen shot from Face book and the insert is for the $15.00 gen 1 Honda Grom front suspension upgrade
. I have a gen 2 Vader BD10 that I think is similar to the gen2 Grom..Picture of the bolt and washers 2, a spacer and small washer and rubber washer is for the gen 1 mods. the Gen 2 doesn't have that style cap. the right side with a rubber washer already in the cap ring and 2 large washers I hope will give the intended pre load. Or; 2 rubber washer, 1 large steel washer???
This is the post I was referring to. This is for the second gen Grom not the first gen.

But basically, on the Grom SF and from your picture, the clones, when you move the nut upwards, you are creating a gap between the fork cap and the top of the threaded fork rod. The post that I linked, the guy says that he moved the nut up towards the top of the fork rod. To fill in the gap, he put in a small piece of metal rod so that there's no gap between the fork rod and the fork cap.

First he replaced the nut that came on the fork rod with one that was wider/thicker. Then the washer that he's talking about goes on top of the new nut that was threaded on the fork rod. Then he put a metal rod in the cap to take up the gap that is now between the top of the fork rod and the fork cap.