Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2020, 08:12 PM   #1

Narrowed it down a bit...

I'd love to have the XT-250, Kawasaki KLX 250, or the Suzuki DRB 250 but I just can't justify the price soo.. Looking for used bikes, if found, are almost as much as a new one. Very disappointing. I've not ruled out a Chinese bike, in fact they are starting to look better to me than before.. An Orion RXB 250l, Bashan Storm DB-08-250 and maybe a Brozz 250. Not seen enough video/review on the LIfan Xpect 200 w/ FI to form any opinion..

A secondary important question to me is seat height. I see lowering links installed on bikes but no mention how much they can lower a bike. I would think this would be mentioned often but I must not be at the right videos to hear them mentioning how much the Orion for example, can be lowered. 35.6 seat height won't cut it for me. Right around 32 plus maybe a tad might do it.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #2

Once you sit on the bike it will drop a few inches depending on your weight. Some on this site have lowered a Hawk to fit a person who is 5'3". I am in the process of lowering a Hawk for the wife right now.

Roy

Old 02-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinders View Post
Once you sit on the bike it will drop a few inches depending on your weight. Some on this site have lowered a Hawk to fit a person who is 5'3". I am in the process of lowering a Hawk for the wife right now.

Roy

Yep, fully aware of the drop after mounting. One of the main problems is getting ON the bike since the seat is a couple inches higher. If you can mount it comfortably it will probably be OK.. I've got a bit of OA of the knees and hip which makes swinging the leg up high like I used to pretty uncomfortable. My Kawasaki Vulcan only sits a tad over 28 inches and I'm flatfooted with both legs. And I can mount it OK..

Good luck on the wife's bike..

Old 02-12-2020, 09:59 AM   #4

I know on my Hawk the seat height has drop a inch or two within the first year and has gotten a good bit softer over the years. When I first got it I had a hard time swinging a leg over the seat. Now I have no problems doing so. 62 years old and the arthritis can play hell on me some times. But after a few minutes of riding I forget about it. lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #5

CSC offers a seat/saddle for the TT 250 that is 2 inches lower. If I’m not mistaken, the TT 250 Seat will fit a Hawk 250 also.
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 02-12-2020, 07:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I know on my Hawk the seat height has drop a inch or two within the first year and has gotten a good bit softer over the years. When I first got it I had a hard time swinging a leg over the seat. Now I have no problems doing so. 62 years old and the arthritis can play hell on me some times. But after a few minutes of riding I forget about it. lol
When I went out on our ride in the desert two years ago ( age 72 ) I felt nothing but the air when that 2 stroke lit up.. Today I went back to the Yamaha dealer and swung a leg over the XT-250 kinda sorta, well I got it over anyway, I was pleased to see that both feet were touching flat on the floor.. Seat height was 31.9 inches, so at least now I have a starting point.
If it was even 10 years ago I could justify an almost 6K purchase but now... I'm looking for about half that. Looks like a nice bike for sure.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
[QUOTE=NoBs;328310]I'd love to have the XT-250, Kawasaki KLX 250, or the Suzuki DRB 250 but I just can't justify the price soo.. Looking for used bikes, if found, are almost as much as a new one. Very disappointing. I've not ruled out a Chinese bike, in fact they are starting to look better to me than before.. An Orion RXB 250l, Bashan Storm DB-08-250 and maybe a Brozz 250. Not seen enough video/review on the LIfan Xpect 200 w/ FI to form any opinion..

A secondary important question to me is seat height. I see lowering links installed on bikes but no mention how much they can lower a bike. I would think this would be mentioned often but I must not be at the right videos to hear them mentioning how much the Orion for example, can be lowered. 35.6 seat height won't cut it for me. Right around 32 plus maybe a tad might do it.[/QUOTE

I believe most lowering links are in the 1 1/2" to maybe 3". Hope someone can show case their finished product of lowering the seat height.
You can also whittle down, reshape your seat with maybe an inch or so gain.
I done that on my Vader BD125 removed that raised passenger portion. Damn hump forces one too far forward.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 PM   #8

I'm not really short, but it's a lot easier to step up onto the left footpeg when I'm feeling stiff, tired, or lazy. When you're riding you really only need to touch the ground with one foot when you come to a stop.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I'm not really short, but it's a lot easier to step up onto the left footpeg when I'm feeling stiff, tired, or lazy. When you're riding you really only need to touch the ground with one foot when you come to a stop.
Been there, done that for over 50 years.. I'm at the point where I want two feet to touch the ground. It started many years when I bought my new 66 Triumph Bonneville 650, twin carbs, had me one footing it at the stop lights. Never liked it then, probably would like it less now. My 1975 CZ M/C bike had me one footing it as well and back then there was no electric start. Many black and blue marks on the calf when your foot slipped off the peg while trying to start it on the side on a hill. Nope, both feet on the ground and electric start sound fine to me..

I have no idea why, but the Orion RXB 250L is peaking my interest right now but I haven't seen a decent dirt ride on it yet. If anyone knows of a video I'd sure like to see it.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:17 AM   #10

It looks pretty good, more of a proper dirt bike. I've been looking at getting one myself.
1991 Voyager XII

Old 02-13-2020, 07:39 PM   #11

you can lower any of the by changing rear shock. The xpect has an ajustable rear shock, storm dose not. itcomes with a 310mm you can reduce the hight by 2 inches with a 260mm 1000lb shock https://www.ebay.com/itm/260mm-Shock...:OIoAAOSwkdld~

Old 02-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored stiff View Post
you can lower any of the by changing rear shock. The xpect has an ajustable rear shock, storm dose not. itcomes with a 310mm you can reduce the hight by 2 inches with a 260mm 1000lb shock https://www.ebay.com/itm/260mm-Shock...:OIoAAOSwkdld~

I checked in the seat height, I believe it was 35.5 inches. A 2 inch drop would have me slightly one legged at any stop at 33.5 inches. In the beginning at least, I'd just like to jump on it and ride. If it's the right feel, one could always put " stuff " on it.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:46 AM   #13

Also, since there's a linkage ratio, shortening the shock 'x' length doesn't mean it is 'x' shorter, in fact it all depends on the linkage ratio at rest (sometimes 3:1!).