Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #1

Hawk Dlx efi or Apollo DB36

Ok guys, I'm thinking of picking up one of these dual sports. I just have a quick question, which one is faster(top speed). I bought a Venom Monster a couple years ago thinking I could have some fun, and possibly commute on it. Only problem is I have a main road I have to ride to get to work. There is a pretty big hill on it and I can't maintain speed climbing it. So I'm thinking one of these bikes might be a better choice, and I can use it for some light trail riding/camping trips. But I've got to be able to maintain at least 55mph on the hill, or I'm going to get run over. If any of you have other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2020, 04:13 PM   #2

Most any current Chinese dual sport SHOULD be able to do what you want, but some are better than others out of the box. We don't have a lot of reports on the DLX, but do have several on the DB36. Not necessarily commuting reports, but ownership in general. The Bashan series of bikes seem to be up to par. They are sold under three different outfits: the popular BROZZ 250 and getting popular Motomax 250 from Peace Sports are a good, solid pair. Not to mention, Jeff from Peace Sports is a member here and contributes periodically. The other Bashan is the Storm 250. Kind of a lone wolf distributed by Roketa and sold through a few mail-order outfits like Superior Powersports, Powersportsmax, Don at APSCA (don't quote me on the order of the letters), and several others. Solid bike without Peace backing, but you can buy parts through 250brozz.com. Yet ANOTHER Bashan is the CRP 250 labled and sold through BMS Motorsports. Again, all the Bashans are geared and carbed for the street (and reliability) out of the box. They use 17f/46r sprockets from stock.

Another contender is the Lifan X-Pect 200. Don't let the '200' fool you; has fuel-injection combined with Lifan's known quality throughout the engine and bike. Crazy enough, it is geared something like 15f/46r sprockets and hitting 70 mph, so changing the front to 17 should add a few MPH. But with hills, perhaps the stock 15 should do the trick. The downside to the Lifan? Rear drum brake and standard forks (forks shouldn't be an issue for what your intended use is).

Lastly, the CSC TT250, although you will probably want to change the stock rear sprocket from 50t to mid to low 40t. Otherwise a great product.

If you are set on your first two (I do like the fatter tires of the DB36...I am a sucker for them ever since seeing the TW200 years ago), hopefully members can give you insight into highway use. I do know Motocheez has several videos of the DB36, and uses it and his other bikes on 2 lane country roads all the time at speeds you seek to commute on. He is fairly responsive in the youtube comments, at least to me, if you wanted to ask questions.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #3

The Hawk is a Dualsport and the Apollo is a supermoto. Mostly down to the wheel size. The Apollo should be faster with the 250cc OHC engine.
1991 Voyager XII

Old 02-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses guys, I have watched motocheez, his DB36 was the first one I'd seen, and I liked the idea of overhead cam. I've found so many pros and cons to both bikes, the DLX being fuel injected was a big draw for me. I've had several Chinese quads and a bike now, I'm not apposed to turning a wrench. My little grom clone is pretty extensively modded, but just can't keep up on the big end. If I lived in town it would be great, but these country 2 lane roads are just too much for it.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #5

This thread someone mentions a realistic top speed of the DLX; up to 70 mph.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25436

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #6

Get the Apollo db 36 deluxe. Hands down. . I have some videos on it. All in one is my youtube channel.