Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

2019 Xt 250.. more XT's out there ?

Since this is the forum for other bikes, I figured this is the spot to ask if there are more XT 250 owners besides myself and what you may have done with them or for that matter not done. Things that worked and things that didn't..

Old 04-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBs View Post
Since this is the forum for other bikes, I figured this is the spot to ask if there are more XT 250 owners besides myself and what you may have done with them or for that matter not done. Things that worked and things that didn't..

WOW !! I'm the only guy with an XT 250 in this whole forum. Hard to believe.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #3

Had a few ,fixed a few ,none at the moment .

Old 04-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Had a few ,fixed a few ,none at the moment .
By " Fixing " you mean you had issues with it or just messing with it ? I thought these were supposed to be more reliable than most dual purpose bikes..

Old 04-11-2020, 02:57 PM   #5

I have a 2013 I bought used last November so I haven’t much seat time. It has around 6k miles. I added heated grips, hand guards, aluminum skid plate, rear rack, installed an SKB pistol case as a rear case, changed the tires. All in the basement during our 5-6 month winter. Only been able to take it for a single ride this year, we keep getting snow where I’m at.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
By " Fixing " you mean you had issues with it or just messing with it ? I thought these were supposed to be more reliable than most dual purpose bikes..
Base gaskets ,fork seals ,wheel bearings ,rear spokes , nothing terrible .

Old 04-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw111 View Post
I have a 2013 I bought used last November so I haven’t much seat time. It has around 6k miles. I added heated grips, hand guards, aluminum skid plate, rear rack, installed an SKB pistol case as a rear case, changed the tires. All in the basement during our 5-6 month winter. Only been able to take it for a single ride this year, we keep getting snow where I’m at.
You live in North East. That encompasses quite a few states.. I'm in NortEast Pa at the base of the Poconos so I'm probably in the same boat as you. This year has been kinder both in temps and lack of snowfall and provided an earlier start for just about everything.. that said, April and sometimes May have a habit of exhibiting late March/early April weather. In other words about a month behind on a lot of days.. I bought mine new about a month ago, a left over 2019 model. Put on a skid plate, oversize pegs, a 14T front sprocket, 1.6 inch risers on the bars and seriously considering a lowering link of just one inch adjusting the mono shock if needed and then lowering the forks almost as most. At 291 lbs this thing is no lightweight. Picking it up from a horizontal position is no piece of cake. At 236 total miles the bike is almost broken in and an oil change is due this week.. then again around 600 miles.. One other thing I am considering are drilling out the fork caps and adding air forks. Front end needs stiffing a tad. Did that to a then new 1975 CZ 400 motocross bike. Helped a bit, the CZ forks had a drain plug on the bottom of the forks so it was a cinch to play around with different oils.. Contrary to advertised, that bike had around 5 inches of front travel and 4 in the back. A far far cry of todays bikes.. It did however, have tons of low end torque and was a great hill climber.. Since the change to the 14T sprocket, the XT now is a decent climber.. A 13T is also available but might gear it down a tad too much for the street..

Old 04-11-2020, 04:52 PM   #8

I used to race a few cz Falta replicas back in the day ,I probably had 6 or 7 400’s and 2 250’s all with the small flywheel so the clutch lasted only an hour if I used it or not .All were a mix of ‘75 and ‘76 .Air rear shocks and the quick change coffin tank .I would love another one .

Old 04-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Put on a skid plate, oversize pegs, a 14T front sprocket, 1.6 inch risers on the bars and seriously considering a lowering link of just one inch adjusting the mono shock if needed and then lowering the forks almost as most.

Thanks, NoBS.

Last edited by bmw111; 04-12-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
I used to race a few cz Falta replicas back in the day ,I probably had 6 or 7 400’s and 2 250’s all with the small flywheel so the clutch lasted only an hour if I used it or not .All were a mix of ‘75 and ‘76 .Air rear shocks and the quick change coffin tank .I would love another one .

There was a red frame and a black frame.. I also went down a tooth on the counter shaft sprocket on the CZ and the result was a fast as heck tractor that I rarely shifted into first on any hill climb.. Mine was the last year for the LTR rear, the next year they went to a monoshock. I've love to get mine back. The guy still owes me $ 20 that bought it..

Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 PM   #11

All of mine were red frames ,I never saw a mono shock one until later in the 80’s when they copied the Honda Pro link rear .

Old 04-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #12

You're probably right.. I'm getting my buddies Yamaha 400 mixed up with the CZ.. His was a 1975 if I recall.. although they may have been fooling around with it as early as 1973 but not in production. That was a great bike as well.