Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2008, 07:00 PM   #1

Closing in on a bike

Hey again everyone

I think I've done more research on buying a bike than I've ever done on anything in my life. I tried my best to buy a 1989 Honda VTR250 that was up for auction on ebay but the bidding went beyond what I was willing to pay on a 19 year old bike.

Now I'm really determined to make a purchase soon because I really need something economical to make my 40 mile round trip commute to work every day. This is going to be my very first bike ever and I don't really know jack about them but what can be learned from reading on the net. I want something that I can take on the highway for a total of about 10 miles of the commute and that's where I'm having a sticking point with buying the 200cc lifan bikes. I understand that there are things that I can do to increase top end but will that make riding them on the highway a viable alternative?

In any case here is what I've basically boiled it down to unless I miraculously stumble upon a +/- $1500 Ninja 250 that isn't over 3-5 hundred miles away from me here in Laredo, TX.:

http://www.vbikeusa.com/index.php?page=cata&scid=36 I have heard nothing but good things about this company on these forums but again I am concerned with being able to make this bike viable transportation as I WILL have to get on the freeway for part of the commute.

http://www.anamcycles.com/home.php?cat=256 This is actually my least favorite choice as I don't like the styling but it may prove to be the most viable -- I hope not 8O (Oh yes, Anamcycles actually has the bbb logo next to their name when you check them out with BBB.org)

http://www.speedywheelsusa.com/pc-84-3-zs250gs-new.aspx This is my favorite and Speedy Wheels USA is an authorized dealer for Zongshen. I have however found another dealer who buys these at auctions and will sell me one for around $1500-$1600 (he told me it depends on how much he can get the next ones he buys for.) This dealer is not an authorized dealer for Zongshen, but he has been very straightforward in dealing with me.

I can't seem to find much information about the Zongshen and I have heard people dissing the Zongshen bike on the net but not one of those people had ever ridden or had any personal experience with one. And all the dealers I have spoken with including my VERY overpriced non-brand linked motorcycle dealership here in Laredo have said good things about the Zongshen. If anyone here has any information or experience with the Zongshen, I would really, really appreciate hearing from you.

Other concerns are my being able to register and title said bike(s) in Texas.

Thanks again guys 8)