Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #1

Question about purchasing in PA

Hello. I am really wanting to buy one of these chinese 250 enduros in the next few days. I am looking at the hawk and apollo mostly. I noticed they come in a "street legal" and a "dot" version. I have done a lot of research and it seems some people have been able to register there bikes in pennsylvania. However, they never mentioned if they were registering the regular hawk, or the dlx dot version of the bike. I would love to buy the cheaper one because its 500$ less. However, i dont want to end up with paperwork issues that keep me from riding it legally. Does anyone know for certain if the NON dot street legal enduros are able to be registered and titled in Pennsylvania? Do i need to buy one of the dot approved models? I can afford 1400$, but 1900$ is out of my price range. I called My DMV twice and neither could answer the legal questions.

Old 05-16-2020, 12:42 PM   #2

I did my 2018 non DOT Carburetor Hawk in PA. It’s much easier to deal with a used car lot the the title & tag shops!! They can be very reliable bikes if you don’t mind being your own mechanic as the shops usually won’t support them. Just some basic hand tools and some long reads on ChinaRiders and your good. Almost any questions you have are probably in a thread here.

After fees And taxes with my MSO is was $244 to get it on the road.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 05-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
I did my 2018 non DOT Carburetor Hawk in PA. It’s much easier to deal with a used car lot the the title & tag shops!! They can be very reliable bikes if you don’t mind being your own mechanic as the shops usually won’t support them. Just some basic hand tools and some long reads on ChinaRiders and your good. Almost any questions you have are probably in a thread here.

After fees And taxes with my MSO is was $244 to get it on the road.
Thank you so much for responding! What paper work did the notary require? Did you purchase out of state? Do you mind telling me where you purchased from? I am just worried because I see on a lot of the dealers websites they say They can't be driven in PA, NJ, NY, and CA. Thanks again!

Old 05-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #4

What part of PA are you in?

Old 05-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #5

No problem.
TX POWERSPORTS, shipped flawlessly and was colossally and Totally useless on customer service after the sale. (Fair warning) TX ship time was Monday departure Friday arrival and Wednesday was 4th of July, not bad. I just needed a Bill of sale, The MSO, proof of insurance, and $244. NorthEast title & Tag was a royal PITA so I went local l and was out the door under 10 minutes with plates. The paper title came in the mail about 2 weeks later from Harrisburg DMV.

Do like 5 oil changes in the first few hundred miles. Adjust the valves. And there goes your evening with all the reading your in for.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 05-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrousSmith View Post
What part of PA are you in?
I am in york county in a town called Hanover. Near gettysburg in the south central part of the state.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
No problem.
TX POWERSPORTS, shipped flawlessly and was colossally and Totally useless on customer service after the sale. (Fair warning) TX ship time was Monday departure Friday arrival and Wednesday was 4th of July, not bad. I just needed a Bill of sale, The MSO, proof of insurance, and $244. NorthEast title & Tag was a royal PITA so I went local l and was out the door under 10 minutes with plates. The paper title came in the mail about 2 weeks later from Harrisburg DMV.

Do like 5 oil changes in the first few hundred miles. Adjust the valves. And there goes your evening with all the reading your in for.
Do you know if the magician is titled the same way as the hawk? i am leaning more toward it because of its size.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #8

Yes, same missing Dot labels and stuff but you won’t have any problems in PA either. There were some weld/frame cracking issues and quality is lower than a Hawk so do research that on here. NOT slamming the Magician but your purchasing a bike site unseen so. It’s that let the buyer beware thing. Hawk seat Height can be lowered with a 290mm rear shock.... yep that will just muddy the whole choice thing, you’re welcome.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbisnice View Post
Do you know if the magician is titled the same way as the hawk? i am leaning more toward it because of its size.
I would stay away from the Magician. Any bike but the Magician. Just based on the issues several members have had with them. However, I wouldn't hesitate to get it's cousin, the Hawk, so it's not as if I have anything against the distributor, RPS. Member/guru Megadan just documented lowering his Hawk, it height is a concern. I am only 5'7" but have had experience with dirt bikes, dual-sports and endures for years, so I guess I am used to balancing. Part of the trick is to wear proper footware (tall boots), if you are not as used to balancing. Actually, one should always wear boots when riding. One shorter dual-sport now available is the Lifan X-Pect 200. Some people are put off by the standard forks and rear drum brake, but according to a few who have bought one, they are VERY high quality, and the seat height is 32.7"; win-win!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #10

I have a TT250 here in Philadelphia.

So far, the notary I found that was even doing business gave me a hard way to go and made me file everything old school, messenger to Harrisburg and all. That was 3 weeks ago. She insisted that Harrisburg would reject it based on the "L" VIN code. Still no word yet from the notary or Harrisburg about if a title and plate will be issued. You will need a PennDOT form MV-41 to verify the VIN number to go with your CO.

CSC guarantees their bikes are legal in all 50 states, so we will see if that be the case. Considering the state of things due to Wolf's lockdown, it could be a while before I find out. In the meantime, I'm using the plate off of my V-Star and carrying my pink slip and insurance with me. If I get stopped (unlikely), I'll deal with it then. Everything is legal and paid for including the plate, it's just not registered to *this* motorcycle.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #11

Harrisburg has been closed because of The KungFlu and I’ve been waiting about 45 days for a Honda Xr650l title so when the state “feels” like going back to work we’ll see titles drip out again. L is the made in China prefix. I never had any problems with my L title in PA.