Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #46

Is that even available? Pitster was saying it would be ready sometime last year. Those motors are shit anyway. 1 out of 2 have issues with the transmission.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #47

I talked to Pitster a couple of weeks ago. They said they would be out sometime this month (I know, china....).

What sources do you have for the transmission issues? Can you point me to them???

Old 05-18-2020, 12:44 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by helogene View Post
\

With Shipping, the 212cc kit, and light kit, it's a $3,000 bike....

Quite a stretch from the basic Boom Vader.....
Quite a stretch for more suspension travel, A 75% power increase (without the 212 kit), skid plate, oil cooler, and an extra gear in the transmission? Not even including likely much better factory support and a fairly decent 6 month warranty from a company that actually honors their warranty.

I know Grom and Grom clone guys here who would give anything for that extra gear, let alone the extra hp and torque.

Seems reasonable to me, and it is still 1000 bucks less than a new Grom when you add MSRP, freight/destination, and documentation fees that most dealers tack on.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-18-2020, 01:57 AM   #49

Oh, I'm interested.....VERY INTERESTED....

Just wish there was MORE INFORMATION available.....

Old 05-18-2020, 03:45 AM   #50

Quote:
I talked to Pitster a couple of weeks ago. They said they would be out sometime this month (I know, china....).

What sources do you have for the transmission issues? Can you point me to them???

Various Pitbike / Clone FB groups and forums all mention it. Some of the more popular groups will try to downplay it. The vendors have known about it for over a year and up until recently played dumb.

There is a problem with the shift drum and or output shaft. It needs to be shimmed. That combined with a steep 1st gear ramp in the star, and a low quality detent arm causes the detent arm to pop out in front of the shift star. False neutrals everywhere, popping in out of gear when riding - damaging the shift fork and other disasters.

I have 2 of these motors. It happened to the first one within 400 miles. The 2nd one hasn't been run yet.

Not all of the ZS 190s and Daytona 190 5 speeds have this problem but many do. A small vendor in one of the groups claimed he was seeing a 50% failure rate and stopped selling them. The customers having the problems varied from mild to wild riders.

Supposedly the latest ZS batches from china have a washer / spacer, (Pitster is calling them keepers), in front of the shift star that prevents the detent arm from popping out. Adding the washer/spacer to 190s that don't have it is known as the "shift star fix" which is not really addressing the root of the problem but it works.

I wish I had known how common this problem was before buying mine. Oh, another common problem is the starter chain breaking. I never had that problem.

There are many posts about it. This is one of the latest ones I've come across.

Last edited by scoot newb; 05-22-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:09 AM   #51

This was just in the first few seconds of looking

Old 05-18-2020, 04:36 AM   #52

They just go on and on

Pitster knew

Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 AM   #53

Damn.......That sucks.....

I was interested.....

I might have to put that on PAUSE for a bit.....

Thanks for posting all the info on the trans....

I'm still new to this style of bike, and just kind of floundering around finding info...

Thanks
Gene

Old 05-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #54

Gene,

It could be okay if you put the keeper on as soon as you get it. I just wanted to lay out everything I wish I had known before getting one of those motors.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:59 PM   #55

Does anyone know if any of these bikes has seen the light of day???

Old 06-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #56

Quote:
Does anyone know if any of these bikes has seen the light of day???
There's people with problems just as there are people that do not have problems. Seems like there are SEVERAL different quality batches going out. Wondering if some sellers are stock piling really old batches.

Anyways... to answer your question... there are some people with problems. Some without. When the ZS190 was just being swapped into the clones (first came to market) by the boys out in Vegas, there were a LOT of people doing high speed runs and fighting for top speed records and stuff like that.

As the ZS190 engine gained in popularity, not sure if the quality standard became looser or what. Then it seems like there was an update to internal parts.

Either way.... If you decide to go this Chinese motorcycle route and/or engine swap, be aware that you are going to wrench on these yourself unless you live near dealerships like Kronik Racing and such.

A lot of independent motorcycle shops around me won't even touch these bikes. So a lot of things you will need to fix yourself. Working on mine and doing the research to see what fits and what doesn't was time consuming but was not a big issue to me. It may be for others. It may not be for others. Just depends on the owner.

Old 06-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #57

I was asking about the ADV-190 specifically. I've read the stuff about the ZS-190....

And, I'm pretty set on just going with a Grom now....

Old 06-09-2020, 12:58 PM   #58

If you're looking for a Grom type bike, you might want to consider the KP Mini. Or the TNT 135.

They are a cut above the other clones. 4k for a Grom out the door is highway robbery.

Last edited by scoot newb; 06-09-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #59

The shift star fix is easy and you dont need to have a ton of mechanical ability to do it ,and it isn't expensive either .There are a few very clear Videos on YouTube on how to do it , I agree it shouldn't be needed or the problem exist, but with all the other things

we have learned are just the way China bikes are , I just don't see it as a deal breaker.,it's not any harder than and is less expensive than having to replace the stock carb for a VM22 on a Clone right out of the box.For all the benefits of the Zs190, i 'll happily accept having to do the shift star fix. And now that Pittster Pro per their announcement has ZongShen agreeing to fix it from the Factory , it should now become a non issue. In short, to put this in perspective, this year and last years $10 - 11k Honda Crf450 and all its variants have a known idle / low speed stall problem thats easily found on Honda Boards , and the fix for that if self done isnt 10-30 bucks,
its more like 300 - 500 dollars- on a ten thousand dollar Bike that has the problem new, and Honda has said " Go pack sand, there isnt a problem"., when there clearly is. AttentionDeficit a semi well known YouTuber recently bought a new 450L and then sold it purely out of frustration over the low speed stall issue.

Sorry for the long post but China Bikes and Engines are simply NOT the only Bikes ever having problems ,and most of the time it's a cheap and easy fix even when they do.

It all comes down to paying 1/4 the cost or around that for a Chinese bike then having expectations of being able to thrash it and then walk away til next time like a 4x higher cost Jap bike just isnt reasonable - if you could do that, it would cost the same as a Jap Bike .But it doesnt, and so you cant. all the Buyer has to do is decide

whether he has the mechanical skills to save 2/3 's of his money or not .If so, Chinabike here i come.If not , buy a Jap Bike so you wont have issues, and even then its not a gaurantee.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
A lot of independent motorcycle shops around me won't even touch these bikes. So a lot of things you will need to fix yourself. Working on mine and doing the research to see what fits and what doesn't was time consuming but was not a big issue to me. It may be for others. It may not be for others. Just depends on the owner.
I could not find any shops that would touch the bike. At first it pissed me off but I ended up learning a lot and can fix most problems that don't require splitting the case.

As far as the 190's go, I got a 3rd one and put it in the clone Saturday after 5th gear went out. I did the shift star fix before I rode it. N is so easy to find and it shifts great. I'm not saying the shift star is the reason why, but if it prevents it from popping in and out of gear maybe it will stay like this.

I think this one may be a good one.