Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #1

Mikuni vm26

I have been coming through the forums and it seems that the hawk 250 needs the mikuni carb (if I'm not at 4000 altitude) which I am not so I want to get the carb. But there is no link to the exact carb. There appears to be clones of the mikuni as well as a big price range. So I just want to confirm it.

The hawk needs mikuni vm26 correct?

And the price range should be roughly x dollars? (50?)

If anyone knows best place to get it please post it.

I plan on being on here alot.. my new hobby once I get to Canada In a month.. so I need the parts now before I go.. then it's time to build her up.

Thanks

Old 10-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #2

Amazon - $30
Jets - $12

I'm a Seattle guy and this is what I did
-- jets (idle 25 and main 115),
--adjusting needle(middle slot),
--air fuel mix (1.5 turns out),

and don't forget to adjust the valve lash.

I could not get the stock one running right and after I installed the VM26 and adjusting the valve lash it starts and runs great.
2019 QIYI Coolster 125cc Quad
2021 Roughhouse 50 (neat little scooter for the wife)
2022 QIYI Coolster 3150DX-4

I may not be fast but I am "Half-Fast"

Old 10-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenTaoyan View Post
Amazon - $30
Jets - $12

I could not get the stock one running right and after I installed the VM26 and adjusting the valve lash it starts and runs great.
Again I don't have a link and I don't see one for $30 I see "clones" or such. Little help with link you found?

Old 10-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #4

If you're looking for the genuine Mikuni VM26-606 spigot-mount carb, you can find one right HERE.

Old 10-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #5

Sorry forgot to mention the amazon VM26 was a Mikuni clone. It works just fine. Im not sure its value added to pay the extra $ for a actual Mikuni.

https://www.amazon.com/Mikuni-Carbur...2856392&sr=8-2
2019 QIYI Coolster 125cc Quad
2021 Roughhouse 50 (neat little scooter for the wife)
2022 QIYI Coolster 3150DX-4

I may not be fast but I am "Half-Fast"

Old 10-16-2020, 11:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Amazon - $30
Jets - $12

i put a mikuni clone from amazon on mine works fine but i also did the exhaust as well.. remember air in/air out. i understand you can gut the cat on a stock exhaust with similar results...

all about the Tao MotorsTBR7
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25553

Old 10-16-2020, 11:32 PM   #7

Huge quality difference between "Mikuni" VM26 Flange and VM26-606 Spigot mount

Quote:
Sorry forgot to mention the amazon VM26 was a Mikuni clone. It works just fine. Im not sure its value added to pay the extra $ for a actual Mikuni.

I have had both the "Mikuni" VM26 Flange and VM26-606 Spigot mount. There is a huge quality difference. The Flange unit is Chinese made (licensed by Mikuni) and is not imported by Sudco (the US importer of Mikuni & Keihin). The price difference of $30 vs. $80 really does indicate you get what you pay for. The carb is the heart of the bike. If you are going to spend any money on anything, a quality carb is the first thing you should buy, and usually these are Japanese or Taiwanese manufactured.

That said, I have bought a NIBBI PE28 for my CSC TT250 (the VM26-606 got moved to my Orion RXB150) for around $80, rather than $150 for a real Keihin PE28. I was gun shy because I had bought a VM28-49 that just didn't fit and was afraid of wasting $150. I was bolstered by Megadan's review of the NIBBI quality and did it. Hands down this is the best carb for a CG250 motored MC with a Stainless aftermarket exhaust. My bike runs better than with the VM26-606, and WAY better than with the VM26 Flange carb.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 10-16-2020, 11:33 PM   #8

Dennis Kirk has a better price on the VM26-606

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
If you're looking for the genuine Mikuni VM26-606 spigot-mount carb, you can find one right HERE.
Dennis Kirk has a better price on the VM26-606. $84 + about $10 shipping.

https://www.denniskirk.com/mikuni/26...prd/165141.sku

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 10-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goob View Post
I have had both the "Mikuni" VM26 Flange and VM26-606 Spigot mount. There is a huge quality difference. The Flange unit is Chinese made (licensed by Mikuni) and is not imported by Sudco (the US importer of Mikuni & Keihin). The price difference of $30 vs. $80 really does indicate you get what you pay for. The carb is the heart of the bike. If you are going to spend any money on anything, a quality carb is the first thing you should buy, and usually these are Japanese or Taiwanese manufactured.

That said, I have bought a NIBBI PE28 for my CSC TT250 (the VM26-606 got moved to my Orion RXB150) for around $80, rather than $150 for a real Keihin PE28. I was gun shy because I had bought a VM28-49 that just didn't fit and was afraid of wasting $150. I was bolstered by Megadan's review of the NIBBI quality and did it. Hands down this is the best carb for a CG250 motored MC with a Stainless aftermarket exhaust. My bike runs better than with the VM26-606, and WAY better than with the VM26 Flange carb.
Flange mount vs. spigot mount? Japanese vs Amazon clones?

Have you run both (back to back) and have some real world testing? Either by ease of tuning or some indication of power / performance enhancements?

I, respectful, can 't agree with a Sudco or Japanese Mikuni being better. Nor Spigot vs Flange mount.

The VM26 clones are direct bolt on. I have one. The quality of machining is good, what I'd expect (I am a machinist) from a Chinese carb. Plus the price is right. Lastly MegaDan is a great resource, and I think he'd admit that there's nothing wrong with the Mikuni fakes. Rather he enjoys modding his Hawk and the challenge to make it better.

Lastly the empirical data shows that MANY Hawk owners (including me) have bought these Amazon carbs and are perfectly happy.

Old 10-18-2020, 08:46 PM   #10

Anybody know where the NIBBI carbs are manufactured?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goob View Post
The Flange unit is Chinese made (licensed by Mikuni) and is not imported by Sudco (the US importer of Mikuni & Keihin).
Mikuni is licensing a Chinese version of their carburetor? Can you provide more details? I am not trying to dispute your claim and I don't know. I just am interested in why they would do that?

Old 10-18-2020, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:

That's not a Mikuni VM26 Clone, that's a Keihin clone.
The Original VM26 has an enrichment circuit, the one you posted has an actual choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Mikuni is licensing a Chinese version of their carburetor? Can you provide more details? I am not trying to dispute your claim and I don't know. I just am interested in why they would do that?
Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, make their cheaper motorcycles in china and they come with chinese Mikunis and Keihins
Funny enough, while the fake "Mikunis" and fake "Keihins" have markings like "TECHNOLOGY FROM JAPAN!!" "MADE IN JAPAN!!!"
The one sold with the Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasaki, etc don't have any reference to Japan only the Brand, the type and the serial #

An Example of these Chinese Keihins is the one sold for the XR150 Honda SKU "16100-krh-921"

why they would do that?
They are much cheaper to make in China, the cheaper Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasaki are already made in China to keep the price low, making the carb in China is quite logical from a business stand point.

But to be honest i pretty much doubt that any of the chinese carbs sold on Amazon are actually licenced versions, but just knock offs. Which to be fair, they work fine.

Old 10-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Dog View Post
The one sold with the Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasaki, etc don't have any reference to Japan only the Brand, the type and the serial #

An Example of these Chinese Keihins is the one sold for the XR150 Honda SKU "16100-krh-921"

why they would do that?
They are much cheaper to make in China, the cheaper Hondas, Yamahas, Kawasaki are already made in China to keep the price low, making the carb in China is quite logical from a business stand point.

But to be honest i pretty much doubt that any of the chinese carbs sold on Amazon are actually licenced versions, but just knock offs. Which to be fair, they work fine.
Sounds like these carbs then appear to be licensed for use "with motorcycles they are manufacturing" which would make sense and they are probably built to strict Japanese Keihin and Mikuni standards and lack "made in Japan" symbol of ultimate japanese quality" because they aren't. As you said it is cheaper to make anything in China but I am sure the Japanese maintain quality standards on their brands. The problem is the Chinese are making all these clones of Japanese design and mixing parts of each into the product then calling it Keihin or Mikuni and "made in Japan" which isn't true. These are clone carbs and I believe have nothing to do with any Japanese license. For people new to motorcycle carburetors it is confusing and they put faith in the names. In my experience, some of these clone carbs work very well, some somewhat, and others are pure junk. The difference pretty much $50. If you get a good one you saved some money. If you have to get two, you were better off buying a brand name carb or quality clone. Moral of the story be sure you are paying for what you are getting.

Old 10-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Sounds like these carbs then appear to be licensed for use "with motorcycles they are manufacturing" which would make sense and they are probably built to strict Japanese Keihin and Mikuni standards and lack "made in Japan" symbol of ultimate japanese quality" because they aren't. As you said it is cheaper to make anything in China but I am sure the Japanese maintain quality standards on their brands. The problem is the Chinese are making all these clones of Japanese design and mixing parts of each into the product then calling it Keihin or Mikuni and "made in Japan" which isn't true. These are clone carbs and I believe have nothing to do with any Japanese license. For people new to motorcycle carburetors it is confusing and they put faith in the names. In my experience, some of these clone carbs work very well, some somewhat, and others are pure junk. The difference pretty much $50. If you get a good one you saved some money. If you have to get two, you were better off buying a brand name carb or quality clone. Moral of the story be sure you are paying for what you are getting.
Indeed they are made to be used and sold by Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, etc and not to be sold by a third party and of course they QC is done to Japanese standards. In fact most of the Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki sold in "LATAM" region are a mix of Chinese, Japanese, Brazilian and Argentinian parts.

The Braking system on my Yamaha XTZ has a Japanese Caliper made by Nissin, Brazilian Brake pads and Argentinian brake disc.

About the Nibbi, they are made in Taiwan and they are quite close to an original carb plus they don't try to scam with the "Keihin" or "Mikuni" fake branding.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Amazon - $30
Jets - $12

Hello from Bremerton.
I’m assembling a TBR7 and used your carb and jetting as a baseline. I noticed the 25 idle jet is smaller than the 20 that comes with the Amazon Mikuni. I fired it up for the first time last night and it is idling crazy high. The idle screw has no effect on it. I’m going to remove the carb to check the throttle cable and slide for issues. If nothing is obviously wrong there I’ll put the 20 back in and try that.