Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2020, 10:47 PM   #1

Head Scratching Raptor 200 - Front Wheel Bearings

(edited, to put 'the whole story' into this single post... instead of spreading out over thread)

Hi all,
Another Canuck here...
Anybody know the size of the front wheel bearings for a Tao Tao Raptor 200?
(bonus... any 'quality' replacement suggestions?)

I`ve recently purchased a Tao Tao Raptor 200 (from K...s Motorsports in Vaughn-ish area) Sadly, they are not *really* too interested in the whole `service after sale` thing... so, I thought I would try here...

It`s only been a few hours, but the front left wheel bearings have cratered. Ok, so I went pounding around in the back woods a bit, but seriously... I`m not... (whatever that crazy guy`s name is... that did all those insane dirt bike stunt videos back in the 90`s 20`s... mostly crashes...more broken bones and staples in him)... I'm 50 and out of shape. It was like, 3 minutes worth...
Anyways, today I noticed a grinding kind of noise, jacked the front and that wheel was catching... I figured it was the brake disc... took it off... nope. Then I realised the wheel was 'weird'... the outer bearing was seizing at a spot! I backed off the nut and re-snugged it just enough to re-pin... It rolled smooth again! I was kinda hoping to cheat and maybe roll on the spindle a wee bit, if it had to... (I had to go get the kids from the bus stop and I knew they'd love an atv trailer ride... instead of the same old truck bed ...) yeah, so in the 1.5 kms that took... the wheel is half hanging off now...
It's way too late to try now, but I'll have to pull the hub and get those bearings out. I'll likely have to pull the other hub's bearings just so I can get an accurate measurement of them... I'm hoping someone here has already had the 'pleasure' and can share their experiences?...
I'll come back and update this thread with some pics & 'findings'... pics are always fun... and, 'findings' are what this is all about!

Eric

UPDATE...
I should have taken a pic 'as it sits' on the ground, sorry. But, this will have to do... holding wheel over at maximum lean:

View of catastrophic bearing failure, on axle:

Here is what I dug out of the hub, 2 totally destroyed bearing sets. The outer oil seals held everything in anyways!

I used a punch and triangular circumference 'tapping' (maybe a bit harder ) to coax the outer races out of the hub.
I managed to find the OEM markings "6203RS" on a bearing seal. This matches up with a known/real bearing.

Just in case, I measured the OEM bearing's: Inner Race ID @ 17mm, Outer Race OD @ 40mm, Both Inner/Outer Race's Thickness @ 12mm.
These 17x40x12 dimensions do line up with the 6203 type bearing specs.
Photos of measurements, using calipers...

this is a pic of the OEM's Oil Seal with "22" "40" "7" markings on it:

FWIW, here is a mock-up of how the whole thing stacks inside the hub:

From inside to outside: Oil Seal, Bearing, crappy '~1" piece of thin-wall pipe' spacer, Bearing, Oil Seal, proper little spacer, Big Washer, Nut (oh, and clip)
(I forgot to put on the Oil Seals & Big Bearing, so I sketched them in )
So, I called my local bearing shop (General Bearing Service in Whitby, Ontario) and I was able to source some nice SKF Bearings (6203-2RSH) & Oil Seals (562805):

Sadly, I don't have a press and my bench vise is too small. I tried using my 3-jaw puller to 'press' the bearings in... but, my pucker factor maxed out when I got to the point where I was leaning everything I had into a 24" bar on that poor thing. I had to resort to the 'cave man' technique... a block of wood on the cement floor and a baby sledge... YES... I happened to have a 39mm outer diameter socket in there... (I wish I had some 1/2" threaded rod 'n stuff, so I could have tried to pull-press it into place...)
Anyways, it all worked out. The inner bearings are shouldered into the hub and I was careful not to 'press' the other bearing in too tightly against that pathetic inner spacer. It is certainly not cut cleanly, nor squarely, nor quite the right length. (I don't remember exactly why I feel it's a teeny bit too long) I am betting that it was side loading the inner races, a bit, with the outers pressed to shoulders in hub... and this made the bearings finally pop under operating loads.
I decided to replace the other side's bearings too. FWIW, there were no apparent problems with the right side. It was smooth as silk. Amazingly, when I pounded those bearings out (and I mean 'pounded') ... via the inner races... they still worked fine, after. So, maybe I'm all wrong about my theory above about side loaded inner races?
Yeah, so both front wheels are all SKF'd up and all seems fine so far. Inaugural ride manifested no apparent issues... other than I really need to adjust the carb to ease starting / cold idle... (NGK iridium CR6HIX spark plug is ordered...) ... but, that's a thread for another day... along with a thread about how I had to shim the front brake calipers so they could actually float, as designed...

Eric

Last edited by Sponge1971; 10-18-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: pictures were broken... managed to fix (using Imgur)

Old 10-16-2020, 05:16 PM   #2

I don't know the answer, but I'd like to know when you find out. I searched on partskit, and they only sell the hub with the bearing, not the bearing separately.

Be happy you didn't damage the front sprocket. I have yet to find a replacement for it anywhere. Luckily I was able to salvage mine when I broke off the retainer bolt. Lots of fun drilling out that broken bolt. I about gave up, but became highly motivated after finding out a replacement did not seem to exist.

Old 12-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

Sponge1971,

Thanks for all the details. Incredibly helpful. I've got a bearing that feels a little wonky in the front, so now I know what bearings to order.
Thanks,

sparrowhawk

Old 12-06-2020, 11:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
... front sprocket. I have yet to find a replacement for it anywhere. ...
I hear you! I want to gear my Raptor way down ... I am going to attempt plowing...
I’ve spent hours looking for a ‘matching’ but smaller front sprocket. What an effort! Descriptions are all over the place, and you can’t trust any of them.

The JTsprockets site is awesome!... but, you can’t search on dimensions and I can’t seem to pin down an equivalent OEM...

I finally gave up and ‘went for it’ with AliExpress...
530 20mm 10-20T 11T 12T 13T 14T 15T 19T Front Engine Sprocket For Honda Lifan ZongShen ATV Quad Dirt Pit bike Buggy motorcycle
I ordered both a 13T & 12T. It will take forever... and I’m still not confident (especially the “20mm”, it’s not very clear which dimension they mean) but, I’m desperate for something that will get me ‘bull low’...

I’m going to try for a larger rear sprocket too.. something in the high 40’s/low50’s
I’ve just got to get the rear sprocket off and measure the axle thru-hole... (I forgot all about that dimension when I was out there with the calipers...)

I will keep you posted!... and, if anyone else has a lead on Raptor 200 sprockets?... please post!

Eric

Last edited by Sponge1971; 12-06-2020 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Glitch - only 1/2 text showed up

Old 12-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #5

I'm looking forward to hear your result on sprockets. I've been though one cvt clutch from pulling a garden trailer uphill with 15 gallons of water in a sprayer tank

Old 01-18-2021, 10:15 PM   #6

Well Eric,

My left side bearings blew out exactly like yours today. Did you have a washer between the castle nut and the outer seal? I didn't see one on my right side. Maybe I never had one. Anyway, your post will prove helpful. Off to order bearings and seals.

Chris

Old 04-03-2021, 11:27 AM   #7

Aww man.. sorry for super late reply.. it’s been awhile..

(You certainly know by now)... yes... I did have a big washer between nut & seal. Pic of spindle shows it ‘drawn in’ as a red line.

Hope you got it all going ok...

Old 04-05-2021, 11:43 PM   #8

Got it figured out Sponge. Your post helped. Did you get those sprockets you ordered to work on the Raptor?

Old 02-05-2022, 07:27 PM   #9

This might be a lead on your sprockets, Eric:

https://www.whygostock.com/coolster-...-150-200-atvs/

I will keep you posted!... and, if anyone else has a lead on Raptor 200 sprockets?... please post!

Eric[/QUOTE]