Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2021, 09:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyunk View Post
For those with DC CDI systems, you may want to add a 9V battery with protective covers on the terminals to your onboard stash of emergency tools. The 9V can be used to power a CDI at least long enough to get the bike started, at which time, the stator/armature should produce juice to run the CDI. I do not know if it is possible to get the parts turning fast enough to generate power from 'scratch'. The new Honda offroad 125 cub can start without the battery, but I don't know what type of CDI it has.
tom
GrumpyUnk,

Ok. Trying to digest and process that. I get the DC CDI can get a temp jump via a 9 volt battery. What about the fuel pump for the EFI system????

If a 9 volt battery can patch a dead battery on an EFI system - that would be outstanding...

Old 01-31-2021, 10:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertlamont80 View Post
I ALWAYS run recreational fuel in all my small engines and lawn equipment. Makes avoiding ethanol issues much easier and stores longer since there is no alcohol based fuel attracting moisture such as ethanol. That reminds me, I better get my generators out tomorrow to make sure they are good to go if I need them. )
Until a non-alcohol gas station opened up near me (4 miles) - I used to drive and pick up 20 gallons at a time for my small engines, toys etc. I travel enough to know that in some states like Minnesota - alcohol free fuel should mandate prison time.

I always plan on using Non -Alcohol fuel in my Lifan the entire life of the bike. Today I thought I had a close call. Between stops my gas gauge jumped and I was not sure I would make it back to a gas station carrying alcohol free fuel.

Unless you plan on always treating your bike as fragile crystal - It seems to me - the more we plan on using our bikes on street and common transportation - the more important EFI could be.

Just Sayn'

Old 01-31-2021, 10:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
"There is just something to be said for barn door tech."
MegaDan - you are a Rock Star with China Bikes.... How many people contact a dealer and say send me that part from another bike - I'll try it - and the dealer pulls it off a bike in inventory?

Gee - the ECU tech used in my Lifan is old? Who else knew (besides Cuclcune?)?

Tuning your shock and suspension on your bike???

Point is - The height, width and depth of your experience and knowledge is a treasure of this forum.

Barn Door Tech indeed.....

Old 02-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #19

Never mind about the 9 volt... Was just thinking of getting spark, not the fuel pump amps. It might work, for a short while, perhaps enough to get the engine running.
To depend on it, I would run a test first, at home...
tom

Old 02-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #20

Honestly one of those little lithium battery powered jump start bricks should do you. They're getting cheaper all the time, not too large, and reasonably lightweight.

You're not "supposed" to jump start through your DIN battery tender plug but I can tell you that on small bikes I have gotten away with it many, many times. Also, on any of these Chinese bikes which still have the kick start installed all the amperage you'll have to draw will be whatever the fuel pump and ECU needs which probably isn't much.