Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #16

ANAMCYCLES.com they are located in Oklahoma city OK. and they distribute both of the above mentioned bikes. Their customer service has been great to work with for any questions i have had that could not be answered here and they carry all of the parts for both bikes at a warehouse in Oklahoma city as well.
They were extremely fast on shipping our bikes to us in Utah so you should get yours pretty fast as well....however i am biased do to my owning 2 of the birds so i suggest you do some research and see whats best for you.
The seat hight should not be a problem as that after the bike settles down you should be able to touch the ground fairly well.
Hope some of what i said helps you to make an informed decision and welcome to the site!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #17

The 250cc engine is new. Nobody knows how durable it is. The 200cc pushrod engine from Lifan has been around, and the word on the street is that it is bullet proof. I chose my 250cc because of brakes, forks, and price--not power. I honestly don't need much power to commute. One regret I have is the 250cc bikes for tiny gas tank. The 200cc Lifan Gy5's have huge 3 gal tanks and the proven pushrod engine, but is more expensive. Also, the 200cc is cheaper on gas. I'd not hesitate getting a 200cc if the bike has the right hardwares.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death85e
ANAMCYCLES.com they are located in Oklahoma city OK. and they distribute both of the above mentioned bikes.
They only show the 200cc Hi-Bird bike now--must have run out of the 250's thanks to people like you and "Death's wife" However, the 200cc is a good bike, too, just missing the extra 50cc's

http://www.anamcycles.com/home.php?cat=276

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
The 250cc engine is new. Nobody knows how durable it is. The 200cc pushrod engine from Lifan has been around, and the word on the street is that it is bullet proof. I chose my 250cc because of brakes, forks, and price--not power. I honestly don't need much power to commute. One regret I have is the 250cc bikes for tiny gas tank. The 200cc Lifan Gy5's have huge 3 gal tanks and the proven pushrod engine, but is more expensive. Also, the 200cc is cheaper on gas. I'd not hesitate getting a 200cc if the bike has the right hardwares.
Thanks for that tip. I hadn't realized the 250's were new, so that definitely makes me reconsider. And you're right about the 200cc's gas tank. If ANAMCYCLES lists it correctly, it's shown as a 3.4gal.

See it here.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #20

Quote:
The 250cc engine is new. Nobody knows how durable it is. The 200cc pushrod engine from Lifan has been around, and the word on the street is that it is bullet proof.
In the strange and myterious world of the Chinese manufacturers, Hi-Bird is affiliated with other manufacturers, including Lifan. Their '06 200cc enduro (like the one that 'Mavrick' just got) was a near exact clone of the Lifan GY-2 enduro, right down to 163 FML engine.

My gut feeling is that they are OEM engine makers for some of Lifan's engines/bikes, but have put some capital into their own lineup and gotten the EPA certificates to have their own line of bikes come to N. America.

In other words, I wouldn't worry too much about durability, at least not any more or less than a Lifan.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #21

it's shown as a 3.4gal.

Definitely a wrong number!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #22

Then I guess my next question should be then, do the added 50cc's really make all that much of a difference?

Take into account that I don't plan to do any interstate driving, so nothing really over 60-65 (yeah, I like to push the 55mpg speed limit). But that being said, I don't want to be rapping out the engine near redline when cruising on back roads. And I'm not saying that because I've heard that about these bikes, I just know what that's like from the first bike I ever owned - a Honda Rebel 250. And yes, I know they're completely different styles of bikes, so they're geared differently.

I'm just not real experienced in the dirt bike / dual sport arena, other than riding a 125cc (pure dirt) trail bike a couple times.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #23

Main Customers: Loncin Group, Lifan Group, KPX LLC, Ebye, Black Town Bikes, National Custom Motorworks, Fire Hawk Motors,Deep Blue Shipping CC

From their site. They show Lifan as one of their customers...there is a connection!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerviperus
Then I guess my next question should be then, do the added 50cc's really make all that much of a difference?

Take into account that I don't plan to do any interstate driving, so nothing really over 60-65 (yeah, I like to push the 55mpg speed limit). But that being said, I don't want to be rapping out the engine near redline when cruising on back roads.
Yes, the extra 50cc's would be worth it, IMO, but the 200cc is still a great bike. The way the anamcycle bike is geared, it should have a 46 t rear like the 250cc Hi-Bird/Komoto bikes as stock, so 55 mph cruising should be no problem right out the box (after break-in period, depending on which method of break-in you prefer; but that is another thread and debate! ).

Also, keep in mind that I think Anamcycles is actually the retail side of the distributor for Hi-Bird USA. In order not to mess up some kind of agreement with their main mail-order customer, V-Bike, they have always shown the prices at anamcycle as slightly more expensive than V-bike (this is my theory, about the connection between VBike and Anamcycle, anyway). So I bet the $1199 price they show for the 200cc Hi-Bird (which used to be $1099 not too long ago 8O ) would most likely be negotiable; in other words, don't let the price scare you away--contact them by phone or email, and ask what their best deal is, and that you are ready to order, if the price can go lower, etc.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerviperus
And I'm not saying that because I've heard that about these bikes, I just know what that's like from the first bike I ever owned - a Honda Rebel 250.
I have a Nighthawk, which has the same Rebel engine. I feel the Nighthawk is not meant to be ridden at more than 60 MPH. One could go faster, but I don't know if the brakes and handling is up to it. I feel nervous when the Nighthawk is above 60 MPH, eventhough it still has got a bit of reserve power. The power of the Hi Bird feels about the same as my Nighthawk; however, the Hi Bird does not feel fast, I think, because it revs at lower RPM. I also wouldn't want to go faster than 60 MPH on the Bird because of its brakes and suspension.

The difference between a Nighthawk (a road bike) and a Hi Bird enduro is like the difference between civilization and savagery. The former has lots of chrome and shiny paint; the latter has lots of plastic and no chrome. The former is very smooth and refined; the latter is jerky and rough. The former is easy to ride; the latter requires more work to ride.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #26

Quote:

The difference between a Nighthawk (a road bike) and a Hi Bird enduro is like the difference between civilization and savagery. .
Are you taliking about the Suzuki Savage??!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #27

I just got off of the phone with the local DMV to find out what all it would entail to get one of these titled and licensed. Sounds like it's going to be a no big deal. 6.25% tax on the sale price, $65 title fee, and $38 for plates. He said all I need to have in hand is the Bill of Sale and the MSO (which does not have to be notarized). Sounds like a piece of cake. One more hurdle out of the way.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #28

OOOOh I just gotta answer this one. I type slow, pardon if I sound blunt. :oops:

You asked "Then I guess my next question should be then, do the added 50cc's really make all that much of a difference?" 8O 8O 8O

Most of the members here have spent a lot of time trying to make 300's out of 250's, or 250's from 200's. I had a 150cc chinabike and would have loved to get my hands on a 200 cc bike. I say yes, you always end up wanting that little extra, no matter what it is.

The next thing is that sometimes the reason you want a bike, or the style of bike you want changes. I wanted mine to go for coffee, get milk, and not have to take transit from the dentist office. I had no idea that I liked going on really really long rides.

IMHHHHO, Unless you have a bike in the garage already, go cheap but pay the extra if you find a place with parts and service. You'll want to hurry, before you know it you'll be looking for your next bike. Since your insurance is cheap, you can keep them as you go.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #29

Well having another bike in the garage is already take care of, as are LONG rides. Heh, that's what my full-dress Venture is for.

And my options just got a little more limited. I've contacted both ANAMCYCLES and VBikeUSA, and both are out of the 250cc models, and won't have any more in for a few months. Bah... what a downer.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #30

Have you searched under 'Ricardo'? They at least used to rebrand Komotos as Ricardos, but not sure about the price. A few members here have the 250 Ricardo (Komoto/Hi-Bird)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150