Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2021, 06:55 PM   #1

Venom Ghost electric start does nothing

This may be something stupid infact it very likely is but I've been tinkering in the hot sun for two whole days straight so here goes

I have never started this bike because I wanted to get everything technical out of the gate and I had to source some non-ethanol gas as well.

So I changed the sprocket which seemed relatively common place I'm almost positive everything is set up as it needs to as the wheel spins and the breaks work just fine but I digress

I did some carb tuning threw in a 105 main jet and bored out the idle air mixture screw and put it 1 1/2 turns out and reconnected everything

so I threw in some non-ethanol gas and the bike registers full battery/gas but when I take it off the kickstand and hit the electric start button it depresses slightly but there is no noise whatsoever the lights and everything else work still but its almost like the button isn't activating at all

Thoughts?

Old 05-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #2

UPDATE: I crossed the solenoid which is what the electric start is supposed to be doing and the bike started right up but I quickly shut it down because I was worried because of me modifying it would cause some damage because despite reading and learning everything I still lack trust in my ability to properly tune a carb LOL

So once it did start (which was very quickly after I crossed the solenoid) I noticed what appeared to be smoke (it was very dark and the bike was only started for a few seconds) it may have been just natural exhaust fumes as I didn't think it through but the exhaust was covered by my bike cover because I genuinely did not expect the bike to start

So tomorrow I will phone Venom and see whats up with my solenoid and I will again cross the solenoid and start the bike and record it so I can see if there is still smoke and then I will know what I'm working with

Old 05-27-2021, 10:03 PM   #3

So the solenoid is fine as that is what I'm using to start the bike but apparently it may be something else like the relay or even the switch in the handlebar so I will be back to investigating but glad to see its nothing stupid I may have done LOL

Old 05-27-2021, 10:07 PM   #4

There are not many of us with that bike ,but it sounds like you might need to figure out what safety start switches your bike has in order to start it .

Old 05-27-2021, 10:43 PM   #5

Yeah odd thing is that I could get it started by bypassing the relay and jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver without putting in the clutch and the kickstart was down so I don't think it has any safety killswitches so I'm thinking relay or something

Old 05-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #6

Jumping the solenoid takes all of the safety switches out of the circuit .

Old 05-28-2021, 07:46 AM   #7

Check that the wires are plugged in for the safety switch by the Clutch lever. Bike must be in neutral or have clutch pulled to start. Make sure the kill switch is in the run position.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #8

Final update on this issue: turns out it was a little pink wire under the seat that was disconnected either from the factory or from me poking around either way everything is set now!