Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #1

Standing atv on back end

Is it okay to stand these atv's up on their rear ends to work or transport? I was wanting to do a valve adjustment and was wondering about the do's and don'ts of standing your atv up on it's rear tires and luggage rack.I don't know if it will sit there or not but was worried about the oil.I know to turn the gas valve off and let it run the carb dry,plus run the gas tank down low or empty but what about the oil?

Old 06-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #2

Battery could also leak.

What kind of ATV are we talking about? May have to plug the crankcase breather hose.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #3

Bull 200,forgot about battery,that will have to be removed.Could plug up all the breather hoses,transmission has a breather hose too.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:35 PM   #4

I’m not sure exactly, but be really careful. I did the same thing with a generator. I was replacing the voltage control unit in the generator head. So I tipped it up on the end.

Got the voltage control replaced. Went to pull start the generator after I put it back in the normal position. It almost took my arm off when I used to pull start.

As it turns out, oil filled the cylinder. It destroyed the valves and the valve seats when I pulled it. The generator is now garbage. So just be careful.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #5

At least in my case the cylinder would be at the top so we know it wouldn't fill up with oil.Just wondering about the transmission and such.I pass quite a few people on the road who will have 2 or more atv's on a trailer or what not and one will be stood up on it's rear end.Could just say the heck with it and adjust my valves sitting or laying on the ground.Just be so much easier for me to be able to stand up and do a more accurate job of getting the valves adjusted right.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:42 PM   #6

atv

as far as the valve adjustment... on the 50 cc- 125 cc... for the valve adjustment... this is what I do...

remove the left hand cover on the head... either a round cover or square... then turn the motor until the dot on the gear... is pointing at 9.00 oclock.. .. then remove the valev caps... 17 mm.... and set velves... just so there is ALITTLE PLAY( ROCKING IT FEEL IT TAP)... THEN TIGHTEN AND REPLACE CAP... AFTER YOU DO This once or twice.. it will take about 3 - 5 minutes..

I always stand it on end to change the carb..... turn fuel tap off... the fuel will drain out of the carb...
it is best to do this when there is not much fuel in the tank
the battery is a AGM... no leaks ... so do not worry..

ok.. thats it... have fun