Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2021, 09:09 PM   #1

Need help to narrow down on a bike

5,8'' male at 160lbs with a budget of $2-2.5k
Trying to buy a weekend bike to hit some trails, have some fun, no racing, and no big jumps.
Kinda hard to find bikes that would be good, even harder to figure out which one is better, which one is worse.

I was thinking 150-230cc max ? 230cc seemed pretty intersting, just not sure if it will be too much bike.

Found these so far, and I have no clue what sets them apart.
-Kayo K2 230cc
-EGL A15 230
-SSR SR189cc

Old 07-17-2021, 11:30 PM   #2

apollo 250rx

its worth the money any day of the week just make sure you assemble it your self or check it over after you get it the forums here help alot

Old 07-23-2021, 10:44 PM   #3

I looked at they Kayo, thought it looked great and then I went to the local dealer and with all the fees etc, the bike went from 1999 to either 3579 or 3759 I forget but it was to bloated. I passed and ordered an appolo 250 rx from orion power sports. I cant as of yet advise as I am still working through the build, I putter and analyze, but it seems pretty solid aside from some obvious but not deal killing poorly engineered plastics, poor wiring harness management, and the need to really look at the assembly for factory moron things(torque of bolts, wires in bind points, stuff like that you need to deal with out of the box to prevent failures).

Old 07-24-2021, 05:55 AM   #4

there is a list of things i would suggest to just change off the hop on these bikes but i dont like doing that as it discourages people but honestly atl east you can swap parts... hell a crf250f and a 200xr motor will fit in these chassis if you dont want a zong down the road and you can literally get every update know to man for them directly off of a crf230f. Apollos are awesome bare bone bikes that dont break the bank and endless possibilities for upgrades and repair part choices unlike alot of Chinese brands.

fork and rear suspension
pwk30 carb
sprockets
piston kit
big bore kit

will change the entire bike for under 1k.. that was my first bunch of updates i did and i went from barely keeping up with many name brand bikes now i womp the same bikes and in such a fashion most wont try to pull on me and just chill and ride now because they know lol i hit 116 with a pwk30 last night and with a mikuni i can sometimes depending on the day i had a top speed of 119-126kmh which is more then i need on this bike and the low end i dont even have to pump to do a wheelie in 2nd it just walks. power wheelie mostly but controlled and can be walked like this which i coulnt do stock with this bike and just a carb.

hope my novel give ya hope on your new bike its a beast just it need some parts to go from kitten to tiger. spend some money as you get into it and youll see what i mean by how it rewards you.

-Zong db36 233cc engine w/ titanium valves, ported exh.
-WizeCo 11:1 piston
-CRF230 Athena big bore cylinder
-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-HF K&N Pod Filter and intake
-1/4 fuel lines and valves w/ plastic tank
-HR handle bars and MX pully controls
-CRF230 SHOWA fork
-Oversized MX brakes & rotors
-17T 46T (3.07 Gear ratio) JT Sprockets with a D.I.D gold MX chain
-Keihin pwk30 30mm carburetor 115main/35pilot

Old 07-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #5

Thumbs Up

I have the X-Pro DLX 250cc bike, a lot like the Orion and the Kayo bikes. I'm right at 6' and have no issues with height or bike size. I did think this 250 is a little smaller than your 'average' 250 size.

Honestly I don't think you'll have any issues at all with the size. If anything, I think these could be just a tad bigger on frame size.. but that's just me!

See if anyone in your area has a Hawk or any of the Chinese bikes - they're relatively the same bike all around, the ones you mentioned feel like a straight up dirt bike - which I love! I think that the Hawks would be more comfy in terms of seat and overall ride - maybe. I haven't ridden a Hawk bike. I just know my X-Pro is pretty rough, and doesn't have a good padded seat.. but I'm standing most of the ride anyway

Can't go wrong! For more dirt bike feel, absolutely the Orion / Kayo / X-Pro (had to throw it in there ) - I would, just by looking, say the Hawks are more for the adventure ride not so much the MX rip dirt rut riding feel. Probably could though, I'm not knocking any of these bikes! These bikes, believe it or NOT, are VERY capable!! This 250 I have is WAY more capable than my old GS650 - lighter, not as fast, but more nimble and not as clunky either. Heavy bikes off-roading just feels like poop lol IMHO...

Get you one, brother! Mine came all the way from Cali-forn-i-a, took about a week! lol

You won't be disappointed! Best cheap bike I think I ever had! Not trying to race or even pass people lol just fun, riding around - sling some dirt - grab a bite with the crew; just fun! I just wish there were more people in my area that rode :(

Old 07-24-2021, 11:47 PM   #6

its not a small bike you just need to adjust the rear shock more and i assume if your bike is the same you can also. im 6ft and my Apollo i cant touch the ground on both sides and now with the mods its defiantly a taller bike but when you sit on it you can see it dampens the weight unlike the stock forks.

Either way these bikes are bare bone kits based off the crf230 they area made with some crappy parts that break a lot easier or faster then honda parts but the after market replacements for things like the throttle to a MX pully throttle is like 25-50$ that single upgrade is a game changer. The more you do to these bike the more they light up. hondas are built reliable with a high price tag for it and often the rider ends up changing the stock equipment on the honda also other then a few things you normally wouldn't do a swap for like forks but in most areas the apollo is a better choice because you learn how to fix and repair and mod your own bike, you learn how to ride on a bike that isnt on a payment plan or having to spend 10k, and youll appreciate a bike you built with your two hands more then one someone just gives you. Learning your bike WILL make you a better rider 100%.

-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-CRF230 SHOWA fork

Old 07-25-2021, 02:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrienx View Post
....adjust the rear shock.......
THAT... ABSOLUTELY adjust the rear shock / sag!! I bottomed out on a jump and bent my plate, ripped the tail tidy off and messed the wiring up rode for a good 10+ miles on the trail before realizing it lol

Check all the torque specs and use Loctite 242!

Old 07-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plump Kibbles View Post
THAT... ABSOLUTELY adjust the rear shock / sag!! I bottomed out on a jump and bent my plate, ripped the tail tidy off and messed the wiring up rode for a good 10+ miles on the trail before realizing it lol

Check all the torque specs and use Loctite 242!

i did the exact same thing thats why i no longer use the stock air box and batter because its destroyed lmao better for weight anyways but you gotta fix the rear mud guard is all, congrats on your first jump though

-Powercore 788 Exhaust
-CRF230 SHOWA fork

Old 08-01-2021, 11:55 PM   #9

If you have the space, front-loader bikes like the Larry vs Harry are fantastic. They can transport practically anything, including people, rubble, and everything in between. They have the ability to ride quickly and handle effectively. You also won't have to continually glancing behind you to see if somebody has slipped out!

"A front loader would never be used for anything else than kids and shopping?" If you only have one bike, as I'm sure you've discovered, a trailer is the most versatile solution for carrying loads on occasion because you can remove it when you don't need it. Or maybe you just want to go for a ride for the sake of it. I wouldn't use a cargo bike as my primary mode of transportation check it at dirtbikeadvisor.com, but they are far superior to a trailer for hauling large amounts of cargo. You could cheerfully take a family ride in one and carry a tired youngster and their bike the rest of the way if necessary.

Electricity makes everything appear flat and can make getting started easier.

Last edited by EyesFitt; 08-02-2021 at 01:05 PM.