Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2021, 03:42 PM   #1

Neutral light says on or flashes

2020 hawk 250 1500 miles neutral light started either staying on or flashing

Old 08-12-2021, 07:48 PM   #2

I had a similar issue with my Lifan. There is a neutral/shift indicator switch down on the left side of the transmission case, underneath the front sprocket cover. I put some dielectric grease on the contacts and it cleared right up. Some say that using silicone based grease for contacts can be problematic later on if any arcing occurs when the switch moves, but I think that generally refers to applications where the voltage and current is higher. Could possibly be an issue with connectors or a rubbed wire somewhere. I would recommend looking into it to make your own assessment. Hope this helps.

Note: I have had very good luck with getting parts under warranty on these Chinese bikes so far. Have you contacted the dealer you bought it from?

Last edited by mototech77; 08-12-2021 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Additional though

Old 08-12-2021, 11:04 PM   #3

I noticed it only does it when the engine is really hot once the cooled down it won’t stay on

Old 08-13-2021, 09:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiser23 View Post
I noticed it only does it when the engine is really hot once the cooled down it won’t stay on

So heat expansion is likely causing something to either open or close a circuit (I think the Neutral circuit is closed to light the indicator, but not 100% sure without looking at the schematic). A more seasoned mechanic could probably say, though.

This may not affect your particular issue, but if the engine is getting hotter than it should, an oil cooler might be a good idea. I plan to do this on mine. I also saw a guy on YouTube install a side mounted cooling fan with a temperature switch. Seemed like a good idea for stop lights, but not sure in reality how good it is. Buell installed cooling fans on their Firebolts, so seems legit if done correctly.