Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2021, 06:46 PM   #1

Chain Broke

Hey Fam,

I was out riding last night, and my chain broken after I hit what I think was second gear. See Photo..
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mQVXUXbNtt6RcMYXA

I had been having troubles occasionally going into second gear... but not the chain fell off, and I noticed the link half way off.. or half way on if your an optimist.

Any thoughts how to fix? Would you consider fixing it while it's still on the bike?

Are Chains standard sizing?

I have a Tao Tao 250 Enduro..

Always appreciate it. (can someone point me to a FAQ on how to add a photo to the forum, please)

Last edited by Coyote720; 08-14-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: photo did not appear to add

Old 08-14-2021, 11:08 PM   #2

You could add another master link but that's way too "el uber chepo".
Just get a new chain.
If i recall correctly a 428 x 130 links should work. Unless you have a model with a 520 chain.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:31 AM   #3

thank you wilddog

That is good information. Thank you, I will update when I know more.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:18 PM   #4

Wouldn't risk mending that link - looks like the crimp worked itself loose. If you do have a crimper tool for the chain pins you could just re-crimp but, could work itself loose again in the end. Was this on or off-road? 520's are solid for off-road adventures compared to the stock 428's - personal opinion.

I have had pretty good luck with Niche chains - X-ring is what I use. Also did the 520 swap on mine so I don't have issues. They also make the 428's as well. Haven't used any other chain brand, but price isn't all that bad. I get longer chain than needed so I can size it up myself; pop out the links I don't need. I think the link tool was about 8 bucks via Amazon? I'll search for it in my order list and shoot you a link to it.

Posing a photo isn't too bad - you will have to use an uploader site, upload the image, and then copy / paste the URL into the text box, then should pop up in the post. https://imgbb.com/ is the one I normally use - pretty easy to use, just a few clicks.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:36 PM   #5

myself,...I couldn't have a lot of confidence in a chain that broke like that...its time for a good replacement.
2019 Brozz 250

Old 08-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/Chain-Breaker...132011&sr=8-22 - This is similar to the one I have, just a few more dollars. The item I had previously ordered is now 'unavailable' and no idea why. But, cheap tool - I've used mine all 8 dollars worth lol

Old 08-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #7

I have to agree. Repairing that chain is like tying two parts of a broken tow strap together.

Unless I was stuck in a roadside workshop somewhere in rural Nigeria I would be going to a bike shop for a new chain.

That is one generic item one can buy at any bike dealership without worrying about quality of the E-bay product or month long wait times.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:48 PM   #8

Thanks Everyone

Krat/Cycleway4- Totally agree.Better to go with a new chain.

Plump Kibbles- Good information, thank you. My chain is 428. I was able to successfully remove it... I will try the Niche Chain X-Ring, thanks for the suggestion. I will do some research on my gearing.

Wild Dog- Thanks again, I will have to count the links now.

I will update y'all when I get the next step.

What a great community.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:04 PM   #9

Yeah man, no worries!

If you decide on the 520, you'll be using a lower tooth count - found that out when I got into the sprockets and chain swap. I have a 12T up front, 30T rear (front: JTF1329 rear: JTR279). Might go up a few teef in the rear so it's not so low, but currently with that gearing I've topped out at 80, somehow. Have read the 17T front and ~45T rear is a good middle ground for the 428's, not sure of top speed though. Just a bit-o-info

Old 08-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #10

I have 17 / 45 gearing, and I expect 65 would be top speed with WOT. Too high of RPMs for cruising. That's for sure.

John