Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2021, 10:31 AM   #1

Engine Rattle Noise

I have a CSC TT250 w 200 miles on it. Since I got it, there’s been an annoying background rattle-type noise when then engine is under load (higher RPM going uphill). It seems to be independent of engine RPM in that it doesn’t really increase in speed as the RPM increases once it starts making noise. Even so, I adjusted the valves and that didn’t help. I made a recording of it and sent it to CSC, but they couldn’t hear what I was referring to. Is this a normal noise w these bikes? I’ve never had a bike that did this and I had bikes from the 70/80’s. I attached the recording in a zip. CSC said maybe they play in the front sprocket as a guess. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: zip CSC.zip (89.0 KB, 51 views)

Old 09-18-2021, 01:16 PM   #2

My TBR7 makes the same rattling noise when its under load too. I hope it's a normal sound also. I heard it on your recording. It's louder when your on the bike though

Old 09-18-2021, 01:26 PM   #3

I found this video. on the comments the dude says to check the kick starter. I'm going to check it out next time I have the bike out.

Old 09-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #4

Check the tightness of the body panels. Do you have the plastic fork guards check the tightness there too. If it doesn't change with engine rpm then it probably ain't the engine. When the engine is under a load what I described above maybe your problem. Also check your exhaust pipe connections,some ideas. Just thinking out loud!

Old 09-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #5

Another thing is the bolts AND washers on the front fender, check there! I don't have the fork guards on my Hawk DLX it just seemed to me they would be rattle traps, look closely at yours if you have them, then you'll see why. If you have them then that noise may just be normal. Just another thought!

Old 09-18-2021, 07:31 PM   #6

Thank you both for the feedback!! I checked the fork guards and yes, the tops definitely could be the culprit, so I stuck some foam in there as a test. Also, the right tank fairing also could be causing it, so off it went as with the other side and the bracket. I also checked the kick starter and it too could definitely be it. So off w his head too… also, the right turn signal sounds like a rattle when I boing it, but it has to stay. I can reach that though when riding. So tomorrow I’ll ride and let you know. If it goes away, I’ll start add the parts one by one and testing in between. Again, thank you for the info. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #7

Well, it started out good, but when it got hot (after About 10 minutes), it started with the noise again. When I think back on this, I believe that was the pattern all along - needed to be running hot. I guess I just need to let it go. There’s no way I can pinpoint the location while riding. Thanks again for all your help!!

Old 09-19-2021, 10:56 PM   #8

Not sure if you have one, but I had a couple metal on metal noises when I got my Brozz. The first culprit was the front of the tank on frame, which was fixed by a rubber pad. The second was the rock guard pan bolts came loose

Old 09-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions Gwowzer. I actually have the skid plate off as I was unsuccessfully trying to lift the bike onto a stand. The tank seems very secure. I’m starting to think that since it appears to be related to when the engine gets really hot, that maybe it’s exhaust gases leaking out due to expansion. But it really doesn’t sound much like that or what I’d think it would sound like.