Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2021, 01:37 PM   #16

That is exacly where I told you to look, My loom is still OK but I can see the tape showing wear from rubbing against those metal parts that the lower part of the headlight bolts to. I do not do any off road riding as all my back roads are surfaced so perhaps it is the rapid handle bar movement that you get trail riding that speeded up the damage to your loom.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOlivier View Post
That is exacly where I told you to look, My loom is still OK but I can see the tape showing wear from rubbing against those metal parts that the lower part of the headlight bolts to. I do not do any off road riding as all my back roads are surfaced so perhaps it is the rapid handle bar movement that you get trail riding that speeded up the damage to your loom.
Definitely. You guys were totally right. Good call.

The loom is damaged because there was one layer of electrical tape in between a metal connector and that piece where you see the wear mark. The wiring is bad. That’s the bottom line. The wiring behind the headlight is not done properly. It needs to be reinforced if you don’t want to break down. It will happen to everyone at some point. It’s just not done correctly. They stop the conduit before the place that it rubs behind the headlight in the forks.

Luckily, if you catch it before it shorts out, it’s a pretty quick fix. Even several wraps of electrical tape will buy you years of trouble free riding from that weak point.

Old 12-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #18

Nothing wrong with the wiring, just the protection of the loom. That particular area is where a lot of movement of the loom takes place and will be prone to damage from friction
Now that this problem has been brought to light it is an easy fix that should be taken care of before it leads to breakdown.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOlivier View Post
Nothing wrong with the wiring, just the protection of the loom. That particular area is where a lot of movement of the loom takes place and will be prone to damage from friction
Now that this problem has been brought to light it is an easy fix that should be taken care of before it leads to breakdown.
Definitely an easy fix and something every x-Pect owner should get to before it leaves them stranded.

Now, what I’m not sure of is if this counts as a fatal flaw that ends my maintenance free x-pect experiment.

What do you guys think?

Should I call it a 2000 mile maintenance free run?

Or should I break it down to electrical system lasted 2000 miles and keep an second tally for the engine and other powertrain type stuff?

Old 12-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #20

Glad you didn't buy a new bike before you took a look! Ha Ha. The one I have is the same, if you turn all the way to the right it pulls it off the conduit to rest where you show the rub.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Rider 27 View Post
Glad you didn't buy a new bike before you took a look! Ha Ha. The one I have is the same, if you turn all the way to the right it pulls it off the conduit to rest where you show the rub.
On mine, the conduit stopped at the hook on the frame. Maybe an inch or two past that. So there was no conduit at all anywhere near the forks. Just two layers of electrical tape with only one around the part that was grounding out.

Maybe yours was a 2021 improvement. Ha ha

Old 12-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Definitely an easy fix and something every x-Pect owner should get to before it leaves them stranded.

Now, what I’m not sure of is if this counts as a fatal flaw that ends my maintenance free x-pect experiment.

What do you guys think?

Should I call it a 2000 mile maintenance free run?

Or should I break it down to electrical system lasted 2000 miles and keep an second tally for the engine and other powertrain type stuff?
I'd say it was just another thing to do to the bike before riding it, like changing out the Chinese "oil", checking the valve adjustment, etc.

Mucho thankso for calling this issue to our attention.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 12-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #23

And I just had a 3 hour off-road extravaganza with it!

Bike felt bad for being so crappy to me for so long and gave me the best ride I’ve ever had with it.

I got 55mph slab for 10 mins, lots of exploring run down places, tight, twisty 2 track those UTV/side by sides could hardly get though, deep sugar sand, deep mud, open fields, thick woods, you name it!

Best ride ever.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #24

[QUOTE=david3921;370053]To be sure you should check around the steering head.

I feel like I have heard this before...

Old 12-18-2021, 10:18 PM   #25

Good to see you got the 'chinks' (lol!) worked out. Electrical issues are sometimes a serious headache, but thank goodness it boiled down to a wire-rubbing issue...which should make everyone who rides these chinabikes...to perform an additional pre-flight inspection in addition to their normal prep! Keep on beating...down the trail!

Old 12-19-2021, 02:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
Good to see you got the 'chinks' (lol!) worked out. Electrical issues are sometimes a serious headache, but thank goodness it boiled down to a wire-rubbing issue...which should make everyone who rides these chinabikes...to perform an additional pre-flight inspection in addition to their normal prep! Keep on beating...down the trail!
Yup. It was good news to be an easily found electrical issue.

I’ve put about 300 miles and 3 bike drops in deep sand on it now and still no problems.