Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2021, 08:58 AM   #1

Tao Tao Tforce 2016 goes into F only when not running

I could use some help.
I just installed a new shift shaft in my 110cc TaoTao Tforce. (the old one was sheered off at the shaft. It has a centrifugal clutch with Forward, Neutral and Reverse.
I can jump start it off the solenoid but it will only go into Reverse or Neutral. Trying to put it in forward will only GRIND the gear and not go in. Any Ideas?
Also...is it possible that the electonic remote shut off (which I don't posess) might have something to do with it? IE: perhaps left in shut down mode before remote was lost?
Thank you.
Leonard

Old 12-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #2

I'd check your idle speed and see if it was set too high (lower it), first, and then if that doesn't work, raise it and see if that helps. It also could be a question of the adjustment of the shift cables, but I'd wait and check the idle speed first.

Old 12-30-2021, 12:05 PM   #3

I 2nd the idle speed adjustment. If that isn't it, be sure the centrifugal clutch is working properly.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 01-01-2022, 09:43 AM   #4

Thank you. I lowered the idle speed pretty much to the minimum...no change. Same with turning it up.... It's a centrifugal clutch so I'm pretty sure there are not cables to adjust. I'm curious though that it goes into reverse so well but No chance of going into forward?
I was thinking the centrifugal clutch as well again but....why does it go into reverse nicely?

Old 01-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #5

It sounds like when you replaced the "shift shaft" you repaired a symptom and did not cure the problem.

Why did the shaft break in the first place? That shaft might have broken due to attempts to force it into forward.

Something in your centrifugal clutch is remaining engaged rather than syncronizing for forward rather than backward pursuits.

Old 01-02-2022, 02:42 AM   #6

Does it behave normally when you start it in forward? will it set and idle in gear then accelerate as you would expect when you give it throttle?The starting issue can be a lot of things from button to brake interlock or solonoid.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:07 AM   #7

I like your train of thought, Thank you. When I get the quad back next week I'll remove the clutch and examine, then perhaps replace.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:13 AM   #8

hmm...I was wondering if somehow it could be electrical since jumping he solenoid is the only way it will start...even after starting there is no voltage going to the lights which makes me ask if the remote receiver module is in lockdown?? The transmitter (to shut it down) did not come with the quad so, I'm lost and thinking about what it would take to remove the whole module.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:47 AM   #9

remote receiver can sure cause no start but highly doubt it is affecting shifting.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:53 AM   #10

The centrifugal clutch and converter can be ruled out I think because it acts normally shifting into reverse.If the clutch was the issue it wouldn't shift into reverse correctly either.The clutch is either engaging properly or it isnt in this case,if it was trying to engage to early reverse would grind to.
I would be looking inside the trans for an issue.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:44 PM   #11

well now I'm thinking of installing a momentary on button as a new starter, put the selector in forward and removing the selector level and just starting it in forward! Just like a mini bike...who needs reverse on a little quad like that and for that matter I'm not so sure I need neutral... what do you think?

Old 01-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #12

as I am able to put it in forward when the engine is off.