Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2022, 09:57 PM   #1

Boom Vader/Grom Clone No Crank Troubleshooting

Threw a new carb on my bike (unrelated) drove around the block came back and no I can't get my bike to start.

Battery is good. Just in case I swapped out for a charged up spare I had sitting on a battery minder. If I jump the solonied/relay it starts up so assume the solonied/relay is good. Used my multi-meter and I am not getting any voltage to the relay. So I am guessing its either neutral safety switch or kill switch. I unplugged neutral safety switch at handlebar and still no start.

Any ideals or guidance? I am not sure how I can bypass the kill switch on these vader clones.

Old 03-30-2022, 07:00 AM   #2

The brake switch provides the 12v to the relay. Besides the brake lights, there may be a splice that feeds the starter switch and thence to the relay. Check for voltage at the starter switch wire, key ON, brake lever/pedal pulled/pressed. Look at the schematic in the manual or online to see if the starter supplies the 12v or the ground to the relay. In the latter case, 12v comes directly from the brake switch.
tom

Old 04-02-2022, 07:40 PM   #3

Okay I finally found my power probe. It has to be something with the brake system. Power lead from battery to solenoid tests good. Ground good. So I tested the activation wires. Electric Start switch good. When I press start button sends 12v. No the other wire witch I assume is the brake switch wire I get nothing. I pull front or press rear brake and no signal to the other wire.

This motorcycle seems to be same wiring diagram/set-up as a GY6 scooter or cheap Chinese dirt bike.

Old 04-02-2022, 11:17 PM   #4

is the bike actually cranking ? did this happen right after the new carb?

Old 04-03-2022, 04:48 AM   #5

How is the ground for the solenoid? I would check that first, and make sure all of the connections related to the starting system have good contact. You could've easily disturbed/pulled something without knowing it.

Old 04-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #6

The relay has a conductor(the winding) that connects the small terminals to each other.
If you have the brake lever pulled, 12v on one will also show 12v on the other, for example. One conductor has to connect the winding to ground. That likely would be the starter button, possibly routed through the kickstand as it may disable the relay when extended.
Just think if the circuit as a loop .. from 12V+ to 12v-(ground). The volts go through the brake switch through the relay, and get to ground through the starter button, OR
The volts go through the brake switch, through the starter button, (through the kickstand switch), through the starter relay to ground. Most do the former.
tom